Green chrome...

Eliot_Ness_Ls

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I just picked up a pair of chrome wheels today pretty cheap but one of em has green oxdiation all over it, any tips on getting rid of it?

I'm not 100% sure I understand the problem. Can you take a picture of this problem or describe it in more detail. Typically oxidation wouldn't turn the surface green. I'd most likely recommend a metal polish like the P21S Metal Polish Soap or the P21S Finish Restorer if you need deep polishing power. Both of those polishes are great at removing oxidation, chemical stains, contamination, etc.

Greg @ Detailed Image

I got it covered, I used Never Dull so far and it worked pretty well. Thanks.

The green stuff was like the statue of liberty.

Ha ha Glanga:p:D No, I don't know what the hell this green tarnish was but I got it off. Its just that there is pits and abrasions under it like rust..???

well if its only chrome plated and the chrome came off and whatever the rim is made of rusted..its possible i could be wrong though

Anyone?

It was greenish blue specs like rust specs but it was that greenish blue tarnish or what ever. I found what brand the wheels are, they are MHT
17x8's.

I got them for...well I aint sayin but they came off a Jag at a yardsale.

Copper is like Bondo, it fills in the ripples and suchs in the steel and its easily shaped and sanded. The Nickel strike is a corossion barrier between the copper and the chrome since the copper won't form a stable oxide and chrome is full of cracks. We coat landing gear pistons all the time with nothing more than a nickel strike and then lots of chrome as the wear surface.

Sounds like the chrome is lifting and there is rust under it or something. If not try a mild claybar with detailing spray.

whyd you revive a few month old thread...i dont think he even posts here anymore

noxon works good, a little green bottle. i've also used met-all with good results, both drastically reducing the size of the little black pits resulting in a mirror finish.

the chrome wheels are a horror show. the chrome is cracked and lifting in spots on the face of the wheel. mine corroded so bad it actually snapped the clips for the wheel emblem. i also got a horrible balance until i cleaned it up and rebalanced it. i also removed the chrome on the mounting surface so that the wheel would actualy sit flat.

Members online

Back