Great Deal on gear sets and a ?

90boss

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I bought the 4.10's as I still want to be able to drive this car to the track or take a road trip. I think the 4.56 would have it up in the 3200 at 70. I could have gone with another brand 4.30 but this is a budget build too so $100 more matters.

I hope going from 3.07 to 4.10 is goiing to be enough of a grin factor just hoping its not going to matter more then a tenth or so.

Going from 3.07s to 4.10s is going to be worth more than a tenth. Probably more like 3 tenths. With 4.10s and a 255-50 rear tire I was at about 2550 rpms at 70mph. Now with 4.30s I am at 2750 rpms with the same tire height. The difference between 4.10s and 4.30s is neglible. A 200 rpm difference on the tach was hardly noticeable and my mpg is darn near the same. These cars are very forgiving in terms of mpg with the 4-speed automatic. Do this swap in a carbureted 55 Chevy with a mild build small block with a cam and you'd be lucky to see 9mpg. I saw 20mpg freeway on the way back from Kansas with the Supercharged 97 wit h 4.10s putting down almost 400rwhp on a rich tune. Don't fear the gear.

sigh.. i'm lucky to see 20 mpg with my NA car.. LOL.

If you kept it at a reasonable speed on the freeway you would easily. :p I don't get 20mpg in my NA car either but I never take long trips with the car either. Not to mention, the tune is still a bit rich on that car too and a stall converter kills mpg a lot more than just a gear swap ever would. A stalled Mark8 takes a bigger hit in mpg. 3k+ rpms with the blip of the throttle just drinks the fuel. At the same time my fuel mileage is still no worse than my 91 Town Car was with NO mods and over 100 less hp. Again, this goes back to the lovely wide ratio 4-speed auto. :)

Thanks. just orded a 4.10 for myself as well. im glad things worked out for me this way. as this morning i found a site that had them for 139 which i thought was a good deal. when i called to order the guy that sells them was out till monday and they didnt want to take my info and sell them to me till then. so i guess their loss.

i can not wait to get these installed along with my trak-loc

i find it odd that the order description was blank. has anyone orded from here and gotten a confirmation as well as the shipping price. i think its kind of jacked up they make you buy it before finding out the shipping. i know there is a minimum of 10 dollars.

the only reason i knew it was the 4.10 gears was by the part number. everything else was blank. i sure hope i dont get an email in a day or so saying sorry there was an error and its not really 126 dollars or whatever.

If you kept it at a reasonable speed on the freeway you would easily. :p I don't get 20mpg in my NA car either but I never take long trips with the car either. Not to mention, the tune is still a bit rich on that car too and a stall converter kills mpg a lot more than just a gear swap ever would. A stalled Mark8 takes a bigger hit in mpg. 3k+ rpms with the blip of the throttle just drinks the fuel. At the same time my fuel mileage is still no worse than my 91 Town Car was with NO mods and over 100 less hp. Again, this goes back to the lovely wide ratio 4-speed auto. :)

haha. yeah, i run the crap out of my car. its built for fun, not mileage! (also, its kinda cold now and i don't drive very much. just down to walmart and back mostly.)

but yeah, driving nicely on the freeway (55 mph!), i saw like 26 mpg once.

so acceptable mileage is possible, but boring. so boring. :lol:

I bought the 4.10's as I still want to be able to drive this car to the track or take a road trip.

Just don't drive your car like Chris and you'll be fine.:shifty::p Still in the low 20s on the freeway I bet.

On a side note, I plan to make a trip or two to the track this next spring. It would be cool to have another Mark8 guy come along.;)

sigh.. i'm lucky to see 20 mpg with my NA car.. LOL.

Wow, my mpg gauge says 19.9 mpg average right now and that's around town! I have done zero driving on the highway since I've filled the tank.

On the highway, I usually average almost 30 mpg.

I haven't got my converter in the car yet, and I'm running the stock 3.27 gears that come in the LSC.

Wow, my mpg gauge says 19.9 mpg average right now and that's around town! I have done zero driving on the highway since I've filled the tank.

On the highway, I usually average almost 30 mpg.

I haven't got my converter in the car yet, and I'm running the stock 3.27 gears that come in the LSC.

lol. that used to be me with the stock gearing. 18 city, i even saw 32 highway once or twice. but 4.10s and a heavy foot can bring that right down right quick.
and like i said, i've started down entirely the wrong route for fuel mileage.

lol. that used to be me with the stock gearing. 18 city, i even saw 32 highway once or twice. but 4.10s and a heavy foot can bring that right down right quick.
and like i said, i've started down entirely the wrong route for fuel mileage.

Hey, if we wanted fuel mileage, we'd have bought 1.5-2.0L 4-cylinder cars, right? :D:D:D

Just don't drive your car like Chris and you'll be fine.:shifty::p Still in the low 20s on the freeway I bet.

On a side note, I plan to make a trip or two to the track this next spring. It would be cool to have another Mark8 guy come along.;)

You going to the Rock. We will be at every bracket race at BIR and hope to hit Grove Creek a few times too.

i find it odd that the order description was blank. has anyone orded from here and gotten a confirmation as well as the shipping price. i think its kind of jacked up they make you buy it before finding out the shipping. i know there is a minimum of 10 dollars.

the only reason i knew it was the 4.10 gears was by the part number. everything else was blank. i sure hope i dont get an email in a day or so saying sorry there was an error and its not really 126 dollars or whatever.

I received a confirmation email and shipping was $10 plus 9.02 in tax for total of $145.52. I live in MN where Tousley is Located so others shipping may be different. Not sure I could have driven to get them for less then that anyway.

You will notice it especially how fast your seed limiter kicks in with 4.10. I’m running 3.73 and love it.
with that 3.73, what is the rpm when cruising about 75-80mph on the highway?
is there also an install kit I'll need to do the mod? or is all I need the pinion and ring? just trying to price this out to decide if it's worth doing

You going to the Rock. We will be at every bracket race at BIR and hope to hit Grove Creek a few times too.

Grove Creek, fun track.
Super relaxed, ran a JR there.

Your going to need a tune to go with the gears to get the most out of it.
I Daily drive a tuned 4.10 and average 19 mpg.
I drive it hard.

with that 3.73, what is the rpm when cruising about 75-80mph on the highway?
is there also an install kit I'll need to do the mod? or is all I need the pinion and ring? just trying to price this out to decide if it's worth doing

I've only got 1k miles on her this year but I think it was only 200-300 more RPM at 70MPH.

If you’re setting up gears I would always get a rebuild kit, are you going to be using a posi unit? I'm not smart enough to build them myself but I have a local shop that has always treated me right do it.

It’s worth doing, just do it RIGHT! I spend on average of $700-$800 on a rebuild and that’s with me R&R’ing the diff.

Grove Creek, fun track.
Super relaxed, ran a JR there.

Your going to need a tune to go with the gears to get the most out of it.
I Daily drive a tuned 4.10 and average 19 mpg.
I drive it hard.

Yes I am on a hard target search for a SCT X2 for some tunes from Lonnie.

Are there less expensive tuners out there?

Members online

No members online now.
Back