Got stranded today,any ideas??

350TPI

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I took the mark to atlanta this weekend.It got 24 MPG over the 700 mile round trip.Now that i am back home i took it to the mall today.When i got ready to leave i noticed it was running funny (like not on all cylinders).I revved it a couple of times and noticed it would smooth out over 3000 RPMs but would sound terrible and try to die below that.No check engine light came on.I went back an hour later,reset the battery and cranked it.Still did the same thing.I slowly revved it using the TB and it finally smoothed out and was fine.Anyone ever run into this?

Vac leak, dirty MAF meter, bad IAC, bad coil, fouled plug, cloged fuel filter. Thats just a few of the things to check.

Popped a plug out maybe?
Did you check the codes before you reset (doesn't sound like you did.)

No i had no way to check them and i was hoping resetting would do the trick.This morning its doing it again.Loading up with fuel big time.I am going to pull the plugs and go thru the coils.I see no signs of a vac leak.Thanks for the replies.

Simple thing to try is pull the crank sensor off and plug it back in. Gen 1 it failed on me twice and the Gen 2 once so far?

Easy quick thing to check and see :confused:

Plus showed no codes when it did it too...

2002WRXSTi,thanks for the suggestion.I will check it but from the search i just did it seems that a crank position sensor keeps the car from cranking at all if its bad.When yours was bad did it do like mine?

Ok,so i just pulled all of the plugs and coils.They all looked fine but the drivers side had a distinct "burn"smell that the pass side didnt.I just put it back together and it ran like crap for about 3 minutes and then cleared up and ran great.Can a coil work intermittently?Maybe i got one on its way out?

Icarus,if i am not getting a check engine light will i have codes?My autozone says they wont even try to read them if its not on.Does anyone know if a coil can work some of the time?My theory is that it takes it 2-3 minutes and then the coil starts working.Would i have a code if a coil was bad?

When is the last time you replaced your COP boots? What you are describing is a common symptom when one goes bad, and is what happened on mine when I had 2 go bad. Going by the burn smell, I would guess at least one is toast. They are cheap, I would swap them out and go from there.

These are less than a year old but i did find moisture in almost all of them.I dried them out.I will try that thanks for the advice.

Even a tiny bit of moisture will cause a massive misfire. Without a doubt this is your problem.

2002WRXSTi,thanks for the suggestion.I will check it but from the search i just did it seems that a crank position sensor keeps the car from cranking at all if its bad.When yours was bad did it do like mine?

Both times it was a crank it and no start but if like you said it's not throwing codes it could be an intermittent thing? Easy check and see and then you can rule it out if it doesn't do the trick.

Both times it was a crank it and no start but if like you said it's not throwing codes it could be an intermittent thing? Easy check and see and then you can rule it out if it doesn't do the trick.

WEll,since this has happened i have been able to get it running after 3 long cranks.It would stabilize and finally run right UNTIl this morning where it wouldnt run longer then 10 seconds.I really hate to start throwing parts at this thing.The crank sensor is by the a/c right?I have extra coil boots and will try that too.This car has been dead reliable for 2 years and now everything seems to be going at once.:confused:

You said there was moisture, any idea where it came from?

You said there was moisture, any idea where it came from?

It has been raining non stop for 3 days here.Not sure how it would have gotten on them and i am still not convinced its not something else.I just drove the thing over 1000 miles since last friday.I wouldnt think there would be any.I do have a slight valve cover leak on both sides maybe moisture from that?I am going to pick up an extra coil today and try to rule that out also.Its very frustrating because its my DD.

WEll,since this has happened i have been able to get it running after 3 long cranks.It would stabilize and finally run right UNTIl this morning where it wouldnt run longer then 10 seconds.I really hate to start throwing parts at this thing.The crank sensor is by the a/c right?I have extra coil boots and will try that too.This car has been dead reliable for 2 years and now everything seems to be going at once.:confused:

Yeah it's by the AC compressor. Easy enough to unplug and put some Dielectric grease on it just to see. Cheap to do and easy if it ain't raining on you :confused:

Sorry to keep this thread alive but i tried the crank sensor trick.I put dielectric grease and pugged and unplugged 10 times,tried starting it and repeat.It will start,run ok for 5-10 seconds and flood out.Smells of fuel.I took the coils out and dried the boots out and no change.Seems like its getting to much fuel or not enough spark.I am going to pick up a crank sensor today.Still no check engine light and i can no longer get it to run longer than 10 -15 seconds.

Pull your plugs back out and see if any are different.
One dry the rest of them wet, or one wet the rest dry.

You can have codes and no CE.
I believe you can rent a reader at AZ, or they can check for codes.

Check fuel pressure at the rail during the misfire issue.

Pull your plugs back out and see if any are different.
One dry the rest of them wet, or one wet the rest dry.

You can have codes and no CE.
I believe you can rent a reader at AZ, or they can check for codes.

Check fuel pressure at the rail during the misfire issue.

Thank you!!Thats one of the answers i was looking for:D

Ok,so i got the following codes:p294E-Fuel Air Metering Auxiliary Emission Controls and P0346-Ignition System or Misfire.Now i am off to search to see what these mean!!

Hummm, nasty code.

Code should start with a p and end with 4 numbers.
This is a gen 2 right?

Maybe have codes cleared, try to start, re-read code, hope a P0346 pops up first.

Its a weird problem, i would still take a look at plugs, and check pressure at rail.
http://www.markviii.org/htdocs/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=21&topic_id=68916

Yeah,i just tried to find these and apparently they dont exist!!Only one other member had P294E and i PMd him.When i went back out to read them again it says that it passed no codes found!!I tried to start it to get it to throw the codes again and now the battery is dead!!!This car wants me to part it out or sell it real cheap.:(

Members online

No members online now.
Back