got 4:10s in my car now

hotrodlincoln93

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
i got the 4:10s with the auborn posi in my mark.. what a difference :cool: i lucked out and my stock one piece shaft doesnt vibrate so thats a big plus. i gotta get the new speedo gear cuz my speedometer is way off. if all goes well i'll have it chipped/tuned this week. then drag radials put on and it's set :D my advice if your thinking bout getting 4:10s is.. get them :cool: thanks again for the rear Geno :Beer

Sweet HotRod!!!!

I'm going to get a new drive shaft and pipes at the Boscobel Beach Party Mod Meet! I can't wait!!!!

Did you have to do any adjusting to the computer? I've got something going on and I am not sure if it is my trannie or my new gears.

I had the trannie rebuilt (been taking it back every other month for a year now, dang place 37 years of experience this shop!! gezzie pete!), then got my gears 2 months ago, check this out:

1st gear 8mph, 15 - maybe 2000rpms - slides sloppy into 2nd,
2nd gear 15mph goes into 3rd at about 2000 rpms also then into 4th - and sucking gas like a mug!!!!! drove with him hooked up to a tester (forget brand name, guy who did my gears took me for a ride to show me on the display when it switchs and what rpms. I have the code written at home, I think it might be the throttle control modlular switch? code 1180 (not sure,a gain papers at home....), shifts great manually.

Trannie guy tells me since I got new gears I now have to get the computer reprogrammed for the gears - that is bs isn't it?

I am really frustrated!!!!! I go back home next week and told him I was gonna bring it in monday for him to looke at, but he says there is nothing he can do - have to take it to ford - you guys have not mentioned anything like that.

I would search more, but I didn't bring my notebook and we have been working 9-9, sucks cause I'm in Phoenix and the weather is NICE!!! Layed out today for lunch and got burned! Sorry I dont have all the info, wont be home till sunday night and I can get it then, but I bet Geno knows what is up...huh Hottie?

Any advice, anythign????? Im going crazy!

SMOOCHES HOTTIES!!!!
Debi

Did you install a speedo gear? A chip helps your tranny shift properly with aftermarket gears but you also need a speedo gear if you have a gen 1.

hey there msm8tress, thats cool you got some gears in that thing too :cool: ... my car's shifting alil off but when i manual shift it its a dream. im hopin the chip/tune will perfect all that. hope everything works out for ya ;) i def need to order a new speedo gear like 98lsc32valve was saying cuz my speedo is like 15-20 mph off lol. like i said im veryy happy with my gears and would recomend the same to anyone who's thinkin bout gettin them. had it out on the highway too, few RPM's more then before but nothing too serious... just a whole lott more leap for weaving through traffic :D

MsM8tress said:
Trannie guy tells me since I got new gears I now have to get the computer reprogrammed for the gears - that is bs isn't it?

No BS. You need the speedo gear first for sure and a chip programmed for the new gear ratio will do wonders. Ford will not help.

The Ford dealer is not going to re-program your computor chip for your new gears. You will need to go to a local tuner ie Cinnci or Columbus for them to get it right. The gears are easy to install in the transmision once you get the speedo cable out.

This must be a 4.10 an up issue. All I did after I got my 3.73's was to install the correct OSS gear, and everything was shiny. No computer reprogramming, no waxing the carpet, no vacuuming the windows, no.. well, you get the picture.

Frogman said:
This must be a 4.10 an up issue. All I did after I got my 3.73's was to install the correct OSS gear, and everything was shiny. No computer reprogramming, no waxing the carpet, no vacuuming the windows, no.. well, you get the picture.

In your gen 2? You don't need a speedo gear for gen 2's...

Yup LVC Hotties, got the speedo installed, the shifting and gas consumption, were all before he put the speedo gear in, after install the only change was that the speed read correct. .

I wanted to wait until I got the new exhaust and drive shaft before I reprogram the chip, but the gas he is eating up is insane (15mpg!), it will cost me a few hundred in gas just to get to Boscobel!!! Looks like I will have to get it done then again after the meet.

Like you say hotrod, manual is a dream.

I was not sure what the problem was at the time, I went back cause he was stalling out real bad when he cycled up, once running he would run kinda ok, but had a stint while driving to Findley where I was going about 72mph then lost it all like a power failure almost, (happens real fast!) then he slammed back into to gear - it felt traumatic, like hitting a brick wall (this happened 2 times about 50 miles apart, then not again). So we tested and got 2 codes, 7th injector was fouling out, the trannie code was: 1780- Transmission Control Switch (TCS) was not cycled during Key On Engine Running (KOER) self-test. Replaced the 7th injector, cleaned all the others and re-tested twice. Trannie code still there, injector code gone. We used the "tap brake now" as a control on (2nd run of diag.). 3rd test, tap brake when instructed so that would not be flagged and the only code again came up was 1780, all 3 times.

The guy who is doing all my work said I need to ask the trannie guys to check the throttle valve linkage and the manual selector valve position, these could have been bumped when they rebuilt the trannie (for the second time). He really spent a lot of time researching and testing for me, then he would let me go with him on all the tests too, he is being really helpful. The trannie guys are getting tired of me - real bad, but I have taken my Mark back to them from the beginning with problems from heir re-build(s) almost a year n half ago!

The Auto Trans/Transaxle Test and Inspection Shift Point Road Test lists shift for light throttle shift 1-2 should hit at 6-15, he shifts about 7-8mph! While this may be within the range, it is not a good shift, shift deff. needs to take it to 10-12mph (feels good there manually shifting). 2-3 shift should be 12-26,my mark slops into 3nd at 12-13mph, and I mean SLOPS! (brought back memories of learning how to drive my 1st stick and flooding out), 3-4th should be 30-48, I WISH!!!! by the time it clears out the excess gas from 3rd - 4th hits at 25-27mph. Down shift is good and on point.

One more thing too - can't bust 100mph to save my soul, stays right there at 100mph no matter how much I mash the gas THIS SUCKS!!! and he is deff. sucking gas like no tomorrow!!!!

Thanks Driller, hotrod, Roadboss, 98LSC!!!!!!!! I think I have included everything, apologizes for not having all the info needed for you guys, but does that give you anymore insight on what the heck is going on?!

You guys are always coming to my rescue - thanks so much you mean the world to me!!!!

SMOOCHES!!!!
Debi

Have they checked for proper Torque Converter lockup? What about clogged cats?

driller said:

Driller got my confirm on the Carlise! looking forward to seeing you and the Misses again!

Dunno - will check, which do I ask the trannie guy or the guy who had done the gears and injector?

I wasn't sure what "AODE's" are so I did a little research, have to get back on that, not sure, just know no one else has mentioned anything like this with a 96 Mark VIII LSC. Did pull up a lot of info on AODE's with mustangs, and performance websites. I will have to read it tomorrow, just got done studying and Im beat.

Ive got to figure this out, after all I want another 96 LSC!

Thanks Driller!

rmac694203 said:
AODE is just the kind of transmission you have. Automatic Overdrive Electronic transmission. Older Fords and Lincolns had AOD, yours is electronically controlled, hence the E. More specifically, yours is a 4r70w.
Check this out for a little more info. http://www.answers.com/topic/ford-aod-transmission

Oh Gesh - I was givin that way too much tought! lol I knew that, but thanks for the url I will check it out in a few, gotta run to the pet store and get some meds for my beta, Samual, poor guy, came home and he was in pretty bad shape, bulging eyes and big old ulcer on his nose!

Thanks rmac!

driller said:

Driller, if one or both were clogged, would I see anything coming out them or a minimual amount, or can I tell by eye?

Thanks!!!!

Debi

MsM8tress said:
Driller, if one or both were clogged, would I see anything coming out them or a minimual amount, or can I tell by eye?

Thanks!!!!

Debi

I generally check with a vacuum test. Lack of power, stalling and poor gas mileage can be symptoms of clogged converters.

To diagnose a plugged catalytic converter, you can check intake vacuum or exhaust backpressure. To check intake vacuum, connect a vacuum gauge to a vacuum port on the intake manifold. Start the engine and note the vacuum reading at idle. Then increase engine speed to about 2,500 rpm and hold steady. Normal vacuum at idle for most engines should be 18 to 22 inches Hg. When the engine speed is increased there should be a momentary drop in vacuum before it returns to within a couple of inches of the idle reading. If the vacuum reading is lower than normal and/or continues to drop as the engine runs, it probably indicates a buildup of backpressure in the exhaust. ...​

While you're studying... this is good reading material... http://www.aa1car.com/library/converter.htm. ;)

I'm on it Sir! Let you know asap! Weather is starting to break here so I can get him out. Thanks!

SMOOCHES!
Debi

UPDATE...."In search of a real performance mechanic (or just one who knows a Mark)".....the saga continues....after 3 months of my entire house stinking like injector cleaner (aka, GAS), and yes I did think it was highly unusual, however I was not driving him much and the mechanic kept tellin me it was injector cleaner from the replacment of the injector and the cleaner he used. Went to get an oil change, the guy at midas calls me back and showed me an my injector and how it was blasting fuel onto the manifold, with engine off (eyeballin it you could tell it was the new one.). Took it directly back to the guy who did it and found out the injector ring has a nice chunk missing out of it (he has driven it 2 since the injector fix, I took it back cause the smell). Thank God for the mechanic at Midas!

Gas milage is getting better, performance is getting better, but still something is not right, and I still have a rattle everytime I press the gas-everytime, idle, it stops, gas, it rattles. I will end up taking the entire engine out to find it it is driving me crazy...cauz I know something is wrong, it is not just a rattle. Oh yeah, never had the rattle till his first vist to the shop...at first it was barely noticeable, now it is very noticable.

I am sure the rattle has nothing to do with not having posi either...yeah finally got some nice weather and took him out...one strip everytime. He wants to keep him for a week to see why the posi he put in is not posi, I think 2 days is reasonable, well actually 1, but I am trying to be understanding....but I think I have understood enough.....too much.

I know some of you may think I went out to anybody - but no, I searched for a perfromance mechanic, and I didn't skimp on the $ for parts or settle cheap labor. JEGS recommended this guy, he has several jobs in his shop and the shop looks proper. I checked out everything on him, and I still have all these problems and well, just plain shotty work. (I have not told you a bunch of minor stuff, scratches on paint, beauty mask broke, air intake box broke, filthy dirty - in JANUARY, I mean so much dirt that I had to take off (half way) the cups behind the front wheels casue they had about 2 cups of dirt in each one, left with windows down in the shop for 3 weeks on a lift, yeah lovely...speedo finally installed after gears in for over a month).

Any suggestions, ideas on the wtf is up with the posi and how long it should take to see what is wrong.

This is it, his last shot to make things right..Im tired of grabbin my ankles...and wallet. Yes...I'm one salty HOT Hottie!

MsM8

Debi,
Don't know about the gears.:eek:
Who ever replaced the injector is liable sounds like they tore a o-ring on it. But that one is fixed. You better check the oil to make sure it does not smell like gas so you don't have gas in the oil from the bad injector. You may need to change the oil !!
Is the rattle as you call it a pinging sound. Did anyone check the fuel pump pressure ? Thats about what I know debi ;) ;)

I'm assuming the "posi" is a Ford trac-lok and any mechanic worth his salt should be able to properly set one up. Most "performance" guys will add an extra clutch. Shouldn't take more than a day to figure it out and fix whatever it is.

The rattle you hear sounds like it could be pinging? I've never heard a Mark VIII ping. The knock sensors are supposedly so good they will detect pinging before you can hear it. Perhaps the knock sensors are faulty?

Bad gas maybe? There is an octane plug - should be under the drivers side strut tower cover. It is a 2 wire harness and a simple bridge plug in the harness connector. Pull the plug from the harness. This takes timing away. If the pinging stops, you either have too much timing advance or possibly lower octane fuel than required. But again, the knock sensors should automatically be telling the PCM to pull timing back.

Members online

No members online now.
Back