Good Buffer

WackyWRZ

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I am looking for a good buffer that either comes with or has availabilty of a good selection of different pads and materials. Also whats a good source to get good pads and bonnets for one? I am looking for a rotary one (grinder type). Not one of those random orbit ones. I was thinking maybe a DeWalt or Makita?

I have one from wen tools with a 7" head.
Only cost me about 60 bucks , 10 years and hundreds of cars later she still runs strong.
All the 7" 3-M pads work on it.

Is there a good online source for those pads? I guess the 7-in, $30 one that harbor frieght usually has on sale would be fine. Variable speed, etc...

www.smartshoppersinc.com has a good supply of pads and polishes or your local autobody distributor would be a good source too....i have a throw away harbor freght buffer that has lasted about four years now...my brother likes to borrow them for fiberglass grinding..and i got tired of him burning up my makitas...naturally they didnt burn up while he was using them...the makitas are nice because they have a delayed switch to help keep from burning paint

Craftsman makes a decent orbital buffer also. The PC7424 seems to b e the car industry benchmark. I got the Craftsman because of price and a gift card.

As far as random orbital buffers, the Flex is better than the PC7424, but the Porter Cable is still a good product. IIRC there is a Makita that switched from orbital to rotary for around 300 bucks.

i have the chicago buffer from harbor freight let me tell you there is no way i would spend the money on the " brand name " buffers when 30 bucks has gone through about 1000 hrs of use so far with no signs of problems. i love it , it works great. and if it does die it already paid for itself on the 1st car i did, i'll throw it away and buy another one. you can get a good deal on pads through ebay or go to your local autobody supply but you'll pay more there.

you should have variable speed (1000-3000) rpm, I have a dewalt 9" with a Velcro pad I can use wool or foam. Use a polish that is suitable for rough buff and fine buff. If you do use different compounds make sure to wash the car between applications. I wet sand the car first with 1500 grit wet then buff.

Makita is the only way to go. It's the only one that will last your forever and doesn't weigh a ton. I deatiled for 7 years and I wouldn't use anything else.

Random Orbitals, such as the PC7424, are great. Especially for beginners, since it's very difficult to damage your paint. It's easier to mess up when using a rotary, but someone should not be scared away from them simply because of their seemingly dangerous reputation. As long as you do the proper research first, and don't do any bonehead moves, you'll be fine with a rotary. Just make sure you go get a hood from a junkyard to practice on before taking it to your paint.

Makita 9227C is my recommendation, but the price is on the higher side ( i think retail is about 200).

Members online

No members online now.
Back