Gonna change VCG today, any tips? Also cats or not cats?

DrewSG

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Today im gonna try and change the VCGs, any specific things I should look out for that will give a rookie some help?

Also, I'm pretty sure my cats are toast.. If I drive somewhere to get them changed, will that mess up my new coils and plugs?

This is a pain in the ass, how in the hell do you guys reach the back two bolts on the passenger side to remove the valve cover?

I've got the coils out, but those two bolts are a bitch

This is a pain in the ass, how in the hell do you guys reach the back two bolts on the passenger side to remove the valve cover?

Honestly it is a bitch but doable. I ended up not putting them on the driver's side right the first time and had to completely redo it. My advice to you is to get a small ratchet and some extensions. Also I would HIGHLY recommend getting a magnetic tool so that you can reach any thing that you drop. The passenger's side is the easy one, the driver's side is going to give you the most trouble.

Follow the how-to in the tech articles if you aren't already and take your time.

im not going to say search :shifty: .... but a will say LOOK NEXT TO THE SEARCH in tech articles.... see, i didnt say it.

there is a write up on how to do it there.... Hell, here ya go
http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/tech/Lincoln-LS/Valve_Cover_Seal_Inspection/Valve-Cover-Seal.htm

... still didnt say it:D

If you are having problems with the passenger side then quit now cause that is the easy side.

Honestly it is a bitch but doable. I ended up not putting them on the driver's side right the first time and had to completely redo it. My advice to you is to get a small ratchet and some extensions. Also I would HIGHLY recommend getting a magnetic tool so that you can reach any thing that you drop. The passenger's side is the easy one, the driver's side is going to give you the most trouble.

Follow the how-to in the tech articles if you aren't already and take your time.

very true, drivers side much worse... .but possible.

im not going to say search :shifty: .... but a will say LOOK NEXT TO THE SEARCH in tech articles.... see, i didnt say it.

there is a write up on how to do it there.... Hell, here ya go
http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/tech/Lincoln-LS/Valve_Cover_Seal_Inspection/Valve-Cover-Seal.htm

... still didnt say it:D

1) the search here sucks
2) i looked at the tech articles, the write up sucks

I'm having my friend come over and help me with it. If it can't be done, I'm just gonna change the coils and plugs and have someone else do the seals

1) the search here sucks
2) i looked at the tech articles, the write up sucks

I'm having my friend come over and help me with it. If it can't be done, I'm just gonna change the coils and plugs and have someone else do the seals

thats about the best write up your going to find. dont know what other info your looking for.... but good luck. that oil in the tubes is going to f up your new coils, better get them fixed soon. Dealer quoted me 400 for new gaskets

I used the write-up a few weeks ago and didn't have too much trouble doing it. It is time consuming but it was done in an afternoon.

Members online

No members online now.
Back