"Golden Compass" is an anti-religion film?

Calabrio

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
"Hi! I just wanted to inform you what I just learned about a movie that is coming out December 7, during the Christmas season, which is entitled THE GOLDEN COMPASS. It stars Nicole Kidman and it is directed toward children. What is disturbing to me is that this movie is based on the first of a trilogy of books for children called HIS DARK MATERIALS written by Philip Pullman of England.

He's an atheist and his objective is to bash Christianity and promote atheism. I heard that he has made remarks that he wants to kill God in the minds of children, and that's what his books are all about. He despises C.S. Lewis and Narnia, etc. An article written about him said "this is the most dangerous author in Britain" and that Pullman would be the writer "the atheists would be praying for, if atheists prayed." Pullman said he doesn't think it is possible that there is a God and he has great difficulty understanding the words "spiritual" and "spirituality." What I thought was important to communicate is what part of the agenda is for making this picture. This movie is a watered down version of the first book, which is the least offensive of the three books. The second book of the trilogy is THE SUBTLE KNIFE and the third book is THE AMBER SPYGLASS. Each book gets worse and worse regarding Pullman's hatred of God. In the trilogy, a young girl becomes enmeshed in an epic struggle against a nefarious Church known as the Magisterium. Another character, an ex-nun, describes Christianity as
"a very powerful and convincing mistake." As I understand it, in the last book, a boy and girl are depicted representing Adam and Eve and they kill God, who at times is called YAHWEH (which is definitely not Allah). Since the movie would seem mild if you viewed it, that's been done on purpose.

They are hoping that unsuspecting parents will take their children to See the movie, that they will enjoy the movie and then the children will want the books for Christmas. That's the hook. Pullman says he wants the children to read the books and decide against God and the kingdom of heaven.

If you decide that you do not want to support something like this, I suggest that you boycott the movie and the books. I googled a synopsis of THE GOLDEN COMPASS. As I skimmed it, I couldn't believe that in a children's book part of the story is about castration and female circumcision.

VERIFIED BY SNOPES.com
http://snopes.com/politics/religion/compass.asp

The Golden Compass, a fantasy film starring Nicole Kidman that is scheduled to be released into theaters on 7 December 2007, has been drawing fire from concerned Christians. The film is based on Northern Lights (released in the U.S. as The Golden Compass), the first offering in Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials trilogy of children's books, a series that follows the adventures of a streetwise girl who travels
through multiple worlds populated by witches, armor-plated bears, and sinister ecclesiastical assassins to defeat the oppressive forces of a senile God.

Books of the trilogy have sold more than 15 million copies around the world, with Northern Lights winning the Carnegie Medal for Children's Literature in 1995 and in 2007 being awarded the 'Carnegie of Carnegies' for the best children's book of the past 70 years. The Amber Spyglass, the final book of the series, won The Whitbread Prize in 2001, making it the first children's book to do so.

The series' author, Philip Pullman, is an avowed atheist who has averred that "I don't profess any religion; I don't think it's possible that there is a God; I have the greatest difficulty in understanding what is meant by the words 'spiritual' or 'spirituality.'" Critics of Pullman's books point to the strong anti-religion and anti-God themes they incorporate, and although literary works are subject to a variety of interpretations, Pullman left little doubt about his intentions when he said in a 2003 interview with The Sydney Morning Herald that "My books are about killing God." (Conservative British columnist Peter Hitchens labeled Pullman "The Most Dangerous Author in Britain" and described him as the writer "the atheists would have been praying for, if atheists prayed.")

Bill Donohue, president of The Catholic League, has condemned The Golden Compass as a "pernicious" effort to indoctrinate children into anti-Christian beliefs and has produced a 23-page pamphlet titled The Golden Compass: Unmasked in which he maintains that Pullman "sells atheism for kids." Donohoe told interviewer John Gibson on 9 October 2007 why he believes Christians should stay away from the film:
Look, the movie is based on the least offensive of the three books. And they have dumbed down the worst elements in the movie because they don't want to make Christians angry and they want to make money. Our concern is this, unsuspecting Christian parents may want to take their kid to the movie, it opens up December 7th and say, this wasn't troubling, then we'll buy the books. So the movie is the bait for the books which are profoundly anti-Catholic and at the same time selling atheism.
Other reviewers, however, have described Pullman's works as being more generally anti-religion rather than specifically anti-Christian or anti-Catholic:

In "His Dark Materials," Pullman's criticisms of organized religion come across as anti-authoritarian and anti-ascetic rather than anti-doctrinal. (Jesus isn't mentioned in any of the books, although Pullman has hinted that He might figure in a forthcoming sequel, "The Book of Dust.") His fundamental objection is to ideological tyranny and the rejection of this world in favor of an idealized afterlife, regardless of creed. As one of the novel's pagan characters puts it, "Every church is the same: control, destroy, obliterate every good feeling."

Last updated: 23 October 2007

Yeah, I heard about this. How the director I think is highly athiest and it shows throughout the movie. If people are so agaisnt a movie, then why not....not go to see it? Articles like that make more people want to see it, I think. Case in point, Da Vinci Code.

Yeah, I heard about this. How the director I think is highly athiest and it shows throughout the movie. If people are so agaisnt a movie, then why not....not go to see it? Articles like that make more people want to see it, I think. Case in point, Da Vinci Code.

Unless you have "threads" like this, how else would people know NOT to see it.

That's my complaint, I don't take issue with Hollywood movies that are released with agenda. I do take issue with the way the studios so badly misrepresent what these movies are about in order to trick people into seeing their films. The author is quite frank about what his intentions were when writing this story, but the film studio isn't.

As a result, a parent takes there kid to see a fantasy movie and end up getting a two hour primer on atheism presented to their impressionable kid.

Film makers have a right to make anything they'd like, I just wish they'd stop hiding these messages. They deny the agenda and advertise the films as something they are not.

The best example is Million Dollar Baby- a film that was advertised like it was a n uplifting, female Rocky of sorts but ends up being a sad two hour sermon on assisted suicide.

What was a Happy Feet about? Another movie targeted at kids looked to be about a bird that liked to dance. But it reportedly ends up being a preachy liberal presentation implanting the global warming, ant-fishing, and pro-homosexual agendas according to some people.

I think the ACLU will start releasing kids movies soon.

I think people have the right to make a movie about whatever they feel like whether freedom or speech for for art's sake. I do think it's wrong that young children are conned so badly into seeing something like this, or Happy Feet but unfortunately young children are conned everyday such as commercials on Nickelodeon or Saturday morning cartoons.

Yeah, kids were conned into seeing that cartoon movie "Open Season" which was nothing but anti-gun propaganda.

I'm a little confused with the original post... the writer says the author is an Athiest, yet goes on to write that "God is killed" in his novels. Hmmm.

Lol @ 'Happy Feet' being gay-agenda... man, some people never give up.

I'm a little confused with the original post... the writer says the author is an Athiest, yet goes on to write that "God is killed" in his novels. Hmmm.

Lol @ 'Happy Feet' being gay-agenda... man, some people never give up.

Haven't you heard the phrases "light in the loafers" and "light on his feet" before?

Haven't you heard the phrases "light in the loafers" and "light on his feet" before?

Yes, that has nothing to do with the character in question though, he was a tap dancer. Granted, not the "manliest" hobby to practice, but the dude had a female interest in the film; he ended up "scoring" her because of those tap-dancing skills.

It's ok, Open Season is about a bear and deer that don't want to be killed by the bad guy, who hunts with a gun. I guess that makes it an anti-gun film.

My question is, how can an athiest "hate God", or "kill God"
To their way of thinking, if there is no god, how can the above be true?
I have a friend who is a self proclaimed athiest, and always takes God's name in vain. If there is no god, then how can "god", damn it? Whatever "IT" is...I personally will stay away from this movie, and so will my kids, but with my kids, its their choice. They read up on EVERY movie they think they want to see, before they go...some awesome guys!

My question is, how can an athiest "hate God", or "kill God"
To their way of thinking, if there is no god, how can the above be true?

It's not "god" that an atheist hates- it's his fan club that drives us crazy! :D

Athiests are usually more vocal than any Christian I have ever met. Athiests claim Christians "try to shove their religion at you", while they are shoving their religion at you.

It's not "god" that an atheist hates- it's his fan club that drives us crazy! :D

Plus 1.

Also as a director in a directors mind, he don't have to believe any of it to make a movie about it.

Do you think George Lucas believed that their was actually a war being waged in a Galaxy far, far away when he thought of Star Wars?

IMO, a atheist could make some of the best movies based on religion cause they wont give the one way train of thought some righteous religious freaks would.

Regardless, its a SCIFI movie! How can any serious human period take offense to it? I don't believe in any religion but I don't push that on people at all. I do have many religious friends with a straight train of thought that would also agree. If you have such a problem with something like this you should avoid it, other wise you are a fanatic nut case wanting to stir up trouble.

Athiests are usually more vocal than any Christian I have ever met. Athiests claim Christians "try to shove their religion at you", while they are shoving their religion at you.

I never met a Athiest that pushed anything. Just ones that could care less in general.

But is Atheism considered a religion anyway:shifty: ?

Pot, meet kettle.

In a 2006 interview on the day that the United States House of Representatives passed the Pledge Protection Act, Newdow told WERS-FM's David Goodman, "A few hours ago, the House of Representatives of the Congress of the United States of America voted 260 to 167 to completely gut the Constitution of its separation of powers and violate numerous other clauses because they thought it was important enough to keep 'under God' in the Pledge of Allegiance. I don't think people would've done that for our political heritage or anything else. They did it because they want God in their government because it stands for a religious view that they adhere to, and they want to see that religious view espoused by government, which is exactly what the establishment clause forbids".

Who's the fanatic now?

Is Atheism a religion? Effectively....

Plus 1.

Also as a director in a directors mind, he don't have to believe any of it to make a movie about it.

Do you think George Lucas believed that their was actually a war being waged in a Galaxy far, far away when he thought of Star Wars?

IMO, a atheist could make some of the best movies based on religion cause they wont give the one way train of thought some righteous religious freaks would.

Regardless, its a SCIFI movie! How can any serious human period take offense to it? I don't believe in any religion but I don't push that on people at all. I do have many religious friends with a straight train of thought that would also agree. If you have such a problem with something like this you should avoid it, other wise you are a fanatic nut case wanting to stir up trouble.

It isn't scifi, its fantasy. And you are missing the point.

atheism is not a religion. spiritualality has nothing to do with god. take a look at a buddhist. religion is set up as a controlling belief. scientology and buddhism are religions without a god. you base your life and control your actions based on beliefs. i am an atheist. i don't practice any ideals or beliefs. i just don't see any reasonable evidence that there is a god. in my life, i look to things that supply truth and answers, not some fantasy based on ideals that have long since been outdated as human understanding and knowledge grow. i don't have a fear of the unknown as so many "christian" ideals have. and evolution is a fact of reality, and creationism is a nice little fantasy that has no factual base or evidence behind it. i don't run around preaching to any body about my ideals, but if pushed i will defend them. i am just as right in my ideals as you are in yours. after all, we live in a part of the world that believes in our rights and freedoms. (or is that only as long as we believe in your god.) if thats a true statement, then we might just as well live in the middle east where you can believe in what you like as long as it''s muslim.(or christian here). atheism doesn't kill god. you can't kill what never existed. there are forces that we do and don't understand. making up an omnipotent being to explain it doesn't explain anything. it just creates pacifism not to seek truth and reality. and lastly, there are many people who believe in god without benefit of any religion. they are not christians, muslims, jews, or any flavor of religion. they just believe he exists.

Plus 1.

Regardless, its a SCIFI(no, "fantasy") movie! How can any serious human period take offense to it? I don't believe in any religion but I don't push that on people at all. I do have many religious friends with a straight train of thought that would also agree. If you have such a problem with something like this you should avoid it, other wise you are a fanatic nut case wanting to stir up trouble.

Typical...Your type always have to toss the stones dont you?

atheism is not a religion. religion is set up as a controlling belief.

You just contradicted yourself, there. Atheism is as much a religion as Christianity, at least to some. People try and brand christianity by it most extreme minority, when a much larger part (per capita) or atheists out there treat atheism and being anti-religion (mainly christianity) as a religion. They try to rewrite history to say that the Framers weren't Christian when the historical record clearly shows otherwise. I am suprised that any athiest would argue that it isn't a religion, because that would mean that it isn't in anyway entitled to 1st amendment protections under the religious establishment and free exercise clauses. Claiming that athiesm is not a religion shoots any attempt to remove religion from the public square out of the water.

Members online

No members online now.
Back