Gold Package for the VIII

symphonist

New LVC Member
Reaction score
:feed I bought a '95 MkVIII last year in California. Only 68,000 miles. It is the most unique car I have ever seen. It is black on black with a faux convertible top WITH A SUNROOF! On top of this, all the trim is in 24k gold. The grille is special- not vertical bars, but horizontal, also in gold. Now for the bad news. There was this deer, see.....I hit it at 0-dark thirty on a 4-lane road doing about 62 mph. What a hit! Both air bags blew, but the car kept going. I stopped after about 1/2 mile to survey the damage. Damage confined from the grille over to the right front fender. Front of the hood cracked (fiberglass, you know). Sunroof dislodged (my left hand - hurt like Hell). Damage actually quite minimal for a deer hit. BUT, the insurance company doesn't want to ante up for the gold - says it's non-standard. I know the grille is non standard, but it seems to me that a gold package was available at extra cost. Can anybody verify this, and also, does anybody know where I might find this customized grille so the car can be put back together in the pristine condition in which I bought it? I would much appreciate any info. I plan to put up pics of this unique automobile when it FINALLY comes back out of the body shop.

I dont think they would have added a totally different grille if there was a gold package. I got a aftermarket grille on my car...

markfront1.JPG

Look anything like mine?

yeah, thats all a dealer add on or done after the car was purchased.

You MIGHT have a case if it was originally sold that way -- which means you ahve to track down the dealer who originally sold the car and had the additions made.

Regardless, you can still argue with the insurance company. I would talk to a local attorney and find out what your state's laws are in this regard. Its been my experience that the Insurance company needs to put the car back like it was or better.

Since you were injured, you *might* be able to get a sash settlement for pain and suffering as well -

Punisher said:
I dont think they would have added a totally different grille if there was a gold package. I got a aftermarket grille on my car...

markfront1.JPG

Look anything like mine?

Yes, as a matter of fact, quite similar. Where did you purchase it and do you remember what the cost was and if it is still available? Thanks so much for posting the response. :L By the way, that's a WICKED looking machine. I love it! Especially the foglight fascia. VERY well done! :)

Last edited:
Pretty ugly actually, ruins a good looking car.

The gold trim/carraige roof is a dealer add-on item - probably the "Presidential" package. It was never really a 'factory' option. But suffice to say it was 'paid for'(it sure as heck wasn't free) and was your choice as the 'buyer' and therefore it is the duty of the insurance company to protect your 'investment' up to the liability limits of the policy. I argued for months with an insurance company once over a customized van they wanted to 'close the case file' on. Don't give up - certainly not with the adjuster. Remember the adjuster's job. His job is to sastify the company's liability for the least expense. Period. Go over his head. Everyone has a boss. As much as the adjuster would like you to think otherwise, they are the bottom rungs of the insurance structure ladder.

I'm an insurance agent. First thing is read the fine print of your policy. You may only be covered for what a "normal" MK8 would be equiped with. I know the company I am appointed with gives you up to 15% of the original retail value of the car(when new) for "customization" which is what the grill etc on your car probably would be considered. Every company is different though so your specific policy might afford more less or no coverage for "customization". Good luck and dont back down.

Rich88LSC said:
I'm an insurance agent....

Phew, for a second, I thought you were gonna say adjuster. I gotta remember to never post who my insurance company is or... :eek:

driller said:
Phew, for a second, I thought you were gonna say adjuster. I gotta remember to never post who my insurance company is or... :eek:

Man give me the benifit of the doubt. I could never do that. Either way its a business like any other so keep givin the :q:q:q:q and you will get more from them.

Man....I've asked around many times to see if anyone knew of a ground effects package like yours and no one could produce one. So where did you get yours from? That is just perfect. Not too much....not too little. ;)

Members online

No members online now.
Back