general question

Mulder

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I am sorry to put such silly question here, But I need rather overall information, concenrnig (very) generally put thesis.

I am thinking of acquiring 2001 Cadillac DeVille. It has 90.000 miles on the clock, and looks rather nice. My qusetion is: should I expect (in general) grave business as far as 2000 4.6 L L37 Northstar V8 goes. Heared many unpleasant staff about this particular motor (not to mention all the NorthStar predecessors....)

Thank You in advance for the answer, and forgive me for such general question...

Hey welcome, you're from Poland? jak sie masz?

Yeah the motor can give you issues. I had a 1996 deville that I loved, but it was not the northstart engine. Be on the lookout for the smell of coolant, but that's recommended with every car you buy.

Yes! I live here, and I will as long as my tolarance towards polititians stupidity, civil law, every day nonsense and absurdity -lasts. Still the sights are fantastic-I live in mountain region:)

Concerning Cadillac Deville-I am little affraid not to step on the field mine...My LC 2001 drives with flying colours, I feel Cadillac will tell completely different tale...:(

The Northstars after 2000 are better in terms of reliability than the 90's ones, they are most known for blowing head gaskets which was caused due to the bolt design used, eventually the head would lift away from the block. The problem is less common than people think, a survey was taken and about 1 in every 4 Northstars in the 90's actually blew head gaskets. That said they last a hell of a long time if they are taken care of properly, they are known to make it well near 500,000 miles. As A huge Deville fan and Northstar fanatic I would love to say yes, but I warn you that if you do, you seriously look it over and take meticulous care. These engines sometimes leak oil due to a leaky crankcase design and they love to eat up motor mounts.

My family is from Gdansk, and I vacationed in the Tatry. I love that area as well!

Eots44 is right, from what research I remember when I had my '96, in the 2000's they were much better. It is definitely a nice ride.

Yup 2000 they majorly redesigned it and head gaskets started appearing fewer and later at higher mileage. After 2004 is the best years as they tried another bolt design and from what I see it pretty much worked.

Thank You very much for such swift replies! I am still considering buying DeVille, and still have some serious doubts although it has alway been my dream to drive a Caddy:cool:

I am huge fan of American cars, mostly thanks to my favorite tv series showing in the late 90's :) (starring David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson), besides I just love USA:D

Despite their issues I have a very soft spot in my heart for these Deville's, they are personally my favorite cars, big, comfortable, and fast, what more could you ask for. I have a 2004 CTS 3.6L which I purchased new so I have very fond memories of driving Deville's as loaner cars, the later (2006-2011) DTS is also one of my favorites! I don't know if you've ever driven a Deville but it is such an amazing car with tons of power.

I have just received information that above mentioned Cadillac, has a italian make LPG gas fittings. Its quite common in Europe nowadays. Does this ruin the engine?

Well I have to say I wasn't sure what LPG was at first, but after looking it up a few people have said they have seen a few Northstar Cadillacs running on LPG, but apparently an article about it doesn't recommend doing it to Northstar V8's and modern Cadillac V6's.

I thought so. I am not fan of LPG, although as I said, it becomes more and more popular, both for petrol prices reasons, and ecology issues. Does this "LPG notion" concerns USA as well?

How much do You pay for the fuel I wonder? I'v read that 3,7$ for whole gallon! That is soooooo cheap! :) I pay 6,8$ for 1 gallon of 98 octane gasoline...

It's not very popular here at all, The Deville's (2000-2005) run as low as 87 Octane if that might be cheaper for you. LOL here in the US we are always complaining about how much our gas costs, it varies all over the country, by me it's 3-4$. Just out of my own curiosity is this Deville you're looking at in the US or did you actually find one in Poland, from what I read it is hard to find Cadillac's in Poland?

It is not very hard to find, although "amcars", how we call american vehicles, are not common amoung the men in the street. Average person prefers Japanese, French, or German ones. European people choose boring, dull, and ugly european makes.

Back to your question - if you search for 2001 Deville in really mint condition, u have to be patient:)

Oh believe me I know you got to be patient I've been looking for the past year for the right one, I live near the shore and they use salt on the roads by me so I've seen some really rusty ones. Then you have the people who are dreaming and think they have some kind of gold mind and they're going to make 100% profit. I've seen things like $8,000 for a 2000 Deville with 150,000! That is completely outrageous, a 2000 with that many miles is only worth about $1,800-$2,200.

In Poland you have to pay 7000$ for Deville 2001 in good condition. I was asked to pay 6000$ and it is not very high price here.

I just received photos of that car. It is now in Brno in Czech Republic.

There is a problem with adding pictures...i can't do it :( i ll try another web browser

I added the pics to (my) User Gallery. So u should not have problems seeing those. If you are interested of course. I was told that the pictures do not do its justice, the real thing looks far better :)

Here ya go! :)
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Looks nice! The silver is my favorite color. Well if you decide you want to buy it, I wish you the best of luck! If not, I'm not sure if you've heard of the One Owner Car Guy, but he has a few YouTube channels his main one is Cereal Marshmallows and he has a lot of cool and unique American cars. As far as I know, he doesn't have any of these Deville's, but he might have something else you like. He is located in the US, but he sells a lot of cars to Europe. He is a fair guy and his channel might be worth a look!

Hey, thats great! I think I might need this contact, thank You very much indeed!

So you think that my future Caddy doesn't look very bad? :)

Hey, thats great! I think I might need this contact, thank You very much indeed!

So you think that my future Caddy doesn't look very bad? :)
From what I can see the interior is gorgeous, the exterior looks good, I did notice the hood ornament is missing, you can buy a new one with retainer on ebay if you wanted to get a new one. The link I have provided you is one that a 2001 would have had. I personally like the way the 2002 and up hood ornaments look on Deville's and they use the same retainer so if you wanted the newer one you could get that instead.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cadillac-De...Parts_Accessories&hash=item27e0f49da6&vxp=mtr

...I'm not sure if you've heard of the One Owner Car Guy, but he has a few YouTube channels...

Funny stuff :) Just about e/time in his videos when he refers to himself as One Owner Car Guy, he adds to that, "OneOwnerCarGuy.com" lol

I've watched about 4 videos of his, and he certainly has a unique personality...great presentations, and he keeps you glued to the video with his...ugh, charisma? lol

S/one said, "...they are most known for blowing head gaskets which was caused due to the bolt design used, eventually the head would lift away from the block. The problem is less common than people think, a survey was taken and about 1 in every 4 Northstars in the 90's actually blew head gaskets. That said they last a hell of a long time if they are taken care of properly, they are known to make it well near 500,000 miles..."

I won't argue with you, but only speak from experience.

If 1 out of 4 blew head gaskets, I would guess that would be a subsequent owner and not the original owner with that fact. If 1 out of 4 are blowing head gaskets, then 1 out of 4 had run their cars too hot/too hard....not all the fault of the bolt design. I've owned 5 Caddys & never had engine problems from any of them; a '93, '94, '95, '96 & '97. They were not purchased in that orde, nor were any of them new. Without looking at any of my records, I think the highest mileage any of them had on it when they were sold was the '93, at about 90k+.

While some may have lasted 500k miles, I have never seen that. Where have you heard of that I'm curious? I think if they did, they'd be all over the TV with commercials like Subaru who touts longevity. And if they lasted that long, we're talking TONS of monies dumped into it between 0-500,000. I mean, is it WORTH it?

I'm all for being frugal, but keeping a car for FIVE HUNDRED THOUSAND MILES?!?! I drive an 18 wheeler as a company driver. Those trucks come in for scheduled PMs every so many miles, but at 500k, they're ready to be sold off to a smaller trucking company because if there ARE no issues at that point, you can pretty much expect to wake up to 'em real soon. :)

S/one said, "...they are most known for blowing head gaskets which was caused due to the bolt design used, eventually the head would lift away from the block. The problem is less common than people think, a survey was taken and about 1 in every 4 Northstars in the 90's actually blew head gaskets. That said they last a hell of a long time if they are taken care of properly, they are known to make it well near 500,000 miles..."

I won't argue with you, but only speak from experience.

If 1 out of 4 blew head gaskets, I would guess that would be a subsequent owner and not the original owner with that fact. If 1 out of 4 are blowing head gaskets, then 1 out of 4 had run their cars too hot/too hard....not all the fault of the bolt design. I've owned 5 Caddys & never had engine problems from any of them; a '93, '94, '95, '96 & '97. They were not purchased in that orde, nor were any of them new. Without looking at any of my records, I think the highest mileage any of them had on it when they were sold was the '93, at about 90k+.

While some may have lasted 500k miles, I have never seen that. Where have you heard of that I'm curious? I think if they did, they'd be all over the TV with commercials like Subaru who touts longevity. And if they lasted that long, we're talking TONS of monies dumped into it between 0-500,000. I mean, is it WORTH it?

I'm all for being frugal, but keeping a car for FIVE HUNDRED THOUSAND MILES?!?! I drive an 18 wheeler as a company driver. Those trucks come in for scheduled PMs every so many miles, but at 500k, they're ready to be sold off to a smaller trucking company because if there ARE no issues at that point, you can pretty much expect to wake up to 'em real soon. :)
I agree with everything you have said, I also know people that had 90's Northstar's that have never experienced an issue with head gaskets. As for high mileage the most I have ever seen personally was a 2006 or 2007 (I can't remember) DTS that had 427,000 miles. It was owned by a traveling salesman who drove it across the country. It situations like this where it would make sense to use a car that much, fleet sales as well, airport shuttles, limos, etc. There aren't currently any for sale with that many, but this is what I could find. http://www.cars.com/go/search/detai...&mkId=20052&sf1Dir=DESC&aff=criteo&listType=1

http://autos.aol.com/used-detail-7621414445731843318-Cadillac-Seville-1997

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detai...&mkId=20052&sf1Dir=DESC&aff=criteo&listType=1

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detai...&mkId=20052&sf1Dir=DESC&aff=criteo&listType=1
P.S. Look how long the Town Car and the other panther cars last, they never made commercials about longevity!

Funny stuff :) Just about e/time in his videos when he refers to himself (as One Owner Car Guy), he adds to that, "OneOwnerCarGuy.com" lol

I've watched about 4 videos of his, and he certainly has a unique personality...great presentations, and he keeps you glued to the video with his...ugh, charisma? lol
LOL he's a cool guy, I am subscribed to his channel and he is one of the few Youtubers that actually replies to your comments.

Yes...Town Car..I had a beautiful TC some time ago. But RWD is the killer here. That was the reason I switched to LC (which in my humble opinion is the best vehicle in the world), but frankly I thought that Cadillac Deville is somewhere NEAR the TC as far as longevity is concerned....Pity:(

So I ask another of silly questions (I may have more of them in the future:p) : Can i put LTC engine 2001 in the DeVille 2001 body?

Members online

Back