Gen2 V6 engine teardown

n8bachelor

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
OK not a complete teardown. I'm about to start my 100,000 mile tune-up. I've got gaskets, plugs, coils, filters, and the PCV elbow to replace. Need to pick up some RTV sealant and some anti-cease in the morning.

I've heard of problems removing the bolts on the tower brace. Do you think some PB Blaster on them would help prevent the bolts braking?

I've read all the tech articles for the v6 but they all seem to be written for the gen1. Any final words of advice for the gen2 project?

Couple of those bolts broke doing mine. PB can't hurt? Mine is a 2000 thou your Gen2 should be like new. LOL

Here also is a real complete tear down!! You can beeny from this pic as you can see right where PCV valve goes. Black box in center of block right at the rear of box is PCV valve.
000_0588.jpg

Wierd on my Ford prototype engine I got Ford used a str8 nipple on the black box, with a curved rubber hose like yours but my PCV valve is in the end of the curved hose not in the black box. I can replace my pcv in .2 seconds.

Hummm I didn't buy a new PCV valve, just the elbow hose that attaches to it and heads back up to the intake. The hose elbow has been the main problem I have read about for the gen2. Wouldn't hurt to pick up a new valve too I guess. I may find more minor items when I get into it as well. Hopefuly no suprises though.

If your going to change PCV which is 7 years old it might be a good thing. I would recommend Ford only on this part. You kinda gotta really dig to get to this.

OK not a complete teardown. I'm about to start my 100,000 mile tune-up. I've got gaskets, plugs, coils, filters, and the PCV elbow to replace. Need to pick up some RTV sealant and some anti-cease in the morning.

I've heard of problems removing the bolts on the tower brace. Do you think some PB Blaster on them would help prevent the bolts braking?

I've read all the tech articles for the v6 but they all seem to be written for the gen1. Any final words of advice for the gen2 project?

I've had my engine torn down enough to do the PCV twice. Both times the hardest part for me was disconnecting the injector harness behind the engine. For some reason mine was difficult. Doing this job really isn't that hard, just be persistent and take a break if you get frustrated or your fingers get tired. I also had to use pliers to forcefully twist the PCV valve out.

Good luck.

Alright first problem.... can't get one end of the fuel filter off. Uses the fuel line disconnect tool 5/16" I think to get one end off. The end with the metal fitting that leads up to the engine will not come. I've pushed the tool in as far as it will go and pulled and pulled and can not get the end out.

Any quick suggestions? I don't want to break the fuel line or connector.

fuel.jpg

fuel.jpg

Alright first problem.... can't get one end of the fuel filter off. Uses the fuel line disconnect tool 5/16" I think to get one end off. The end with the metal fitting that leads up to the engine will not come. I've pushed the tool in as far as it will go and pulled and pulled and can not get the end out.

Any quick suggestions? I don't want to break the fuel line or connector.

View attachment 61812

Hmm, I don't remember having this problem on my gen 1, I think it had plastic locks that popped out.

I've had problems with that style connector before and have had it jimmy difference tools like small allen heads to separated the lines. I've used the short end of an allen wrench to pry retainer(looks like a O-ring with wire wrapped around it if it's what I'm thinking it is) in there away from the lip while pulling the line away from the filter. The work the allen wrench all the way around and it pops off. It's not the best or easiest way, but when the conventional fails you have to try something different.

Do you have a Harbor Freight locally? If so, they have the tool for less than $8.

Ok your problem could be that you pulled on the filter real hard (or someone else did) and you rolled over the locking tangs in the coupler without the removal tool ALL the way in. I have seen this many times. You might be able to see way down into the coupler to check for bent tangs. If you notice the removal tool does not go deep enough in coupler you might have bent over tangs. Take your hand and totally str8en all your fingers now bend your fingers back at you and thats what tangs look like if bent.

3 of the 4 tangs are bent 90 degrees, like if you look at your palm and bend your fingers back at your face. 4th one seems to be be rolled back on itself, like if you were looking at your palm, then made a fist. Pretty sure something is f'ed up in there.

This filter really needs to be changed. Nasty black gas came out the end I got free.
Last time it was changed was probably 50k ago. I had the dealer do it. They had it for 4 days because the tech broke something down there and had to order new parts. Said they fixed it, but maybe they didn't. Or maybe I messed it up today. Either way I'll probably just take it down there and let them mess with it.

P.S. No other problems with the tune-up so far. Got both valve covers off and changed the plugs. Now to find that darn PCV valve.

OK guys, I'm having trouble finding my pcv valve. Take a look at this picture shot down the middle.
pcv.jpg
I have set the fuel rail and lower intake off to the left side but you can see down to the block. Isn't the pcv valve supposed to be attached to a black box on top of that plate? That's what it looks like from Mark's picture. The plate in my car doesn't have anything attached to it and doesn't look like it ever did. I even pulled it up to see what was under it. Some kind of clean cavern (forgive my engine ignorance. I've been working in tight spaces all day and I'm tired.)

Any thoughts / suggestions?

EDIT:
Take a look at this exploded view from fordparts.com Sure looks like there is supposed to be something there.
pcv valve.jpg

pcv.jpg

pcv valve.jpg

Last edited:
EDIT:
Take a look at this exploded view from fordparts.com Sure looks like there is supposed to be something there.
View attachment 61856

See part # 6A664, on end attaches to the intake manifold and the other attaches to an elbow(part #6767) that attaches to the PCV valve(part number 6A666). I can't tell from the pictures but you might have done more work then you had to. It kind of looks like the PCV valve might be in the valve cover.

I think you are probably right. Looks like it right there doesn't it?

pcv2.jpg

I always thought it was buried on the v6. Guess I had only seen the gen1 teardown previously.

Thanks for the input.

pcv2.jpg

I think you are probably right. Looks like it right there doesn't it?

View attachment 61857

I always thought it was buried on the v6. Guess I had only seen the gen1 teardown previously.

Thanks for the input.

Thats sweet if they put it in the valve cover where it should of been in the first place!! Mine is a Gen1 so thats what my pics show.

He had to remove the intake to replace the left side spark plugs anyway.

He had to remove the intake to replace the left side spark plugs anyway.

Yea, but not the lower intake. Like I said before on mine getting the wiring harness is such a b1tch for some reason. The OP could tell us if it was hard for him, but at least he finished it.

To Mechanic:
I did not remove the wiring harness for the injectors. Could not get them off. That's why I set the fuel rail & lower intake off to the side instead of removing it from the photo. I hope to never have to change out injectors.

It was not all in vain though. I had anticipated taking the lower intake off to get to the pcv valve so I ordered both the upper and lower intake manifold gaskets from Max. The new ones came in a nice baby blue color :rolleyes:

I must advise all those with gen2 v6 though:
The passenger (right) side valve cover gasket is NOT part #1x4z-6584-aa. That's what I ordered and that's what I got from Max but when I tried to put it on it did not fit. The bolt holes were improperly spaced and the angle the gasket made around the holes was not right. The left side fit like a charm (part #4r8z-6584-aa). I had to re-use the old gasket on the left under the intake (not happy).
gasket2.jpg

My order thread:
http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/showthread.php?t=71561

One more thing.... always buy BOTH the elbow and the pcv valve new. The old ones will not come apart. I had to press my pcv valve into the elbow with a large C clamp that I use to do my brakes (don't have a vice).

Car purrs like a kitten now :D

gasket2.jpg

To Mechanic:

I did not remove the wiring harness for the injectors. Could not get them off. That's why I set the fuel rail & lower intake off to the side instead of removing it from the photo. I hope to never have to change out injectors.

It was not all in vain though. I had anticipated taking the lower intake off to get to the pcv valve so I ordered both the upper and lower intake manifold gaskets from Max. The new ones came in a nice baby blue color :rolleyes:

The passenger (right) side valve cover gasket is NOT part #1x4z-6584-aa. That's what I ordered and that's what I got from Max but when I tried to put it on it did not fit. The bolt holes were improperly spaced and the angle the gasket made around the holes was not right. The left side fit like a charm (part #4r8z-6584-aa). I had to re-use the old gasket on the left under the intake (not happy).

I was going to ask you if you had it upside down but it looks like it wouldn't matter because it's still to long on the straights. Did you happen to check to see if the left and right were identical?

I was going to ask you if you had it upside down but it looks like it wouldn't matter because it's still to long on the straights. Did you happen to check to see if the left and right were identical?

Yeah I checked. Put the left one on first. Fit like a glove. Then tried the right, and you see how that fit. Pulled the left off and compared them, even tried to put the right on the left, but it didn't go. I did not try the left gasket on the right side, it was obviously larger.

covers.jpg

covers.jpg

Well I don't know what to tell you, those are different and they are both different from the gen1 v6. Looks like an improved design to me.

OK not sure how it happened but I got a 4r8z part in a 1x4z package. Max sent me another 1x4z for the passenger side and it is not the same as the one that didn't fit. Strange for sure. Putting it on the car this weekend.

Members online

Back