Gen 2 ABS unit

97MarkJA

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
My ABS unit on my 97 works perfectly fine with no leaks although I seen these go bad and it doesn't look like any fun to replace.
My question is can the ABS unit be removed completely and what would be involved as far a changes in the tune? Also, is it tied to the traction control?
I searched but didn't find anything that addressed complete removal, the fact is its just in the way and my task at hand would be much easier if it wasn't there. :)

My ABS unit on my 97 works perfectly fine with no leaks although I seen these go bad and it doesn't look like any fun to replace.
My question is can the ABS unit be removed completely and what would be involved as far a changes in the tune? Also, is it tied to the traction control?
I searched but didn't find anything that addressed complete removal, the fact is its just in the way and my task at hand would be much easier if it wasn't there. :)

The ABS unit is a self contained unt. It is mounted behind the battery and just in front of the drivers side tire. To get access to it you have to remove the battery and unhook the brake lines with a spanner wrench. Then below where the batter sits, behind the inner splash shield, you can remove the ABS. It doesn't have anything to do with the tune.

The ABS unit is a self contained unt. It is mounted behind the battery and just in front of the drivers side tire. To get access to it you have to remove the battery and unhook the brake lines with a spanner wrench. Then below where the batter sits, behind the inner splash shield, you can remove the ABS. It doesn't have anything to do with the tune.

Thanks GMAN, for some reason I thought it had something to do with the speed sensors and traction control?.?
I have everything apart right now and its easy to get to. The air pump is going away also, that part I know how to take care of.

IMAG0108.jpg

IMAG0109.jpg

So you actually are asking if it can be eliminated? I would think you would start seeing an assortment of codes.

So you actually are asking if it can be eliminated? I would think you would start seeing an assortment of codes.

Thats what I'm asking, and how much is it tied to? I have the SCT prp so if its as simple as changing the program to eliminate the codes.. no problem.
If its tied to multiple things and its a chain reaction of codes thats a different story. My programing knowledge only goes so far, this is why I'm asking if anyone has done it.

Yes it does work the traction control below 35mph.
the rear abs sensors are also your speedometer.

I would suggest calling the tuner for your car and talk to them
being sct only DB performance in rogers or APS in shakopee have there tuning capabilities and have a good reputation.

I would suggest calling the tuner for your car and talk to them
being sct only DB performance in rogers or APS in shakopee have there tuning capabilities and have a good reputation.

Currently I'm the tuner for my car.. lol :D
Kidding aside I've taked to DB great guys and have recieved great advice on things that work well on our motors, components that play nice with SCT to make it eaiser to tune. The unknowns like the ABS question is where it gets muddy.
The car will see dyno time when the motor is done but I'd rather not pay for 4-6 hours of set up and dyno time to find out something silly like the ABS turns into pandoras box and have to redo/undo what was done.

For those that have your abs unit out..
Does anyone know the fitting size and thread pitch on these? Also what type of flare they use? Did you have to redo the flare to get it to seal up?

IMAG0076.jpg

Members online

Back