Gen 1 color match grill & mouldings

96 mark viii

LVC Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking of color matching my grill and mouldings but leaving all the chrome around the lights/on up. Has anyone done this and do you have pictures? The chrome strip above the grill would remain chrome also. Any pics?

One of the guys here, that I know anyway, painted all the chrome on his first gen body color like the second gens. Needless to say, it looks awesome. Maybe he'll end up coming along to drop some pictures.

pma-show-27.jpg

I wonder how it would look on my White Opalescent? I've been deeply considering it since I'm going to have my bumper cover and hood painted soon. I'm also replacing my grille, chrome strip over headlights, headlights and other parts.

One more question. Did they ever make clear front corner lights for first gen's?

I wonder how it would look on my White Opalescent? I've been deeply considering it since I'm going to have my bumper cover and hood painted soon. I'm also replacing my grille, chrome strip over headlights, headlights and other parts.

One more question. Did they ever make clear front corner lights for first gen's?

i personally don't think it would work on a white car. only dark colors. but if you do it, i want to see pics.

nope. never seen clear corners.

Chris2523 your car looks awsome!!! Unfortunately mines not Black, that's why I'm thinking of leaving some chrome on it. By the way, I made your pic my screensaver!

Chris2523 your car looks awsome!!! Unfortunately mines not Black, that's why I'm thinking of leaving some chrome on it. By the way, I made your pic my screensaver!

lol, man, i wish that black car was mine. but sadly not.

Lol easy there bub. The black VIII is not his. He was just showing somebody how it would look, with color matched grill and panels, etc. However, that car is sick!! I also saved the picture, it is now my desktop background! :D

Painting the chrome you need Self Etching Primer, then primer, then color

I think it will look good one a white car, if nobody else tries it before me I'll post pictures of mine when it's done if I ever get it done!

That black car Chris2523 posted up looks awesome! Kind of makes me wish I had done that when I had my black 93. I had thought about it back then, but decided I preferred the chrome look (except for that crappy peel-away fake chrome along the bottoms of the doors and bumpers- I hate that stuff). Of course, I don't know if I could have pulled off the blacked-out look on mine, since I didn't have the nice chrome rims and LSC headlight housings to set it off right. Definitely an idea for when I find another Mark.

im about to paint the chrome on my car. and wheels. i just need to find extras of the parts because i dont want to paint the chome on my car.

tan with black?!? and black 10 spokes or speedsters.

you need to peel all the chrome off the grill, otherwise it will flake off later on and ruin the paint you applied

im about to paint the chrome on my car. and wheels. i just need to find extras of the parts because i dont want to paint the chome on my car.

tan with black?!? and black 10 spokes or speedsters.

I had my buddy paint a couple "snowflake" Mark VIII wheels a couple different ways (I've got 4 sets of them, so why not?). The one that I liked the best was solid black with solid black center caps, but leaving the aluminum lip. IMO, it looks pretty good for basically a free set of "aftermarket-looking" wheels. I've never seen 10-spokes painted, but I imagine it will look good. You've certainly got a lot better starting point than the snowflakes!

Color match on Gen 1's are best on black however it's simply something that hasn't been tried much on other colors. I haev a picture somewhere of an opalescent painted grille, in the mean time, here's a pic of my black 93.

fs4.jpg

Ok, found it. I grabbed this from Google a few years back while searching just like you. I had a 95 Opalescent & wanted to see if anyone had done it. This is the only picture I found & I have no idea if this car belongs to a member/former member.

vbpgimagephp.jpg

Well that settles it, I'm just gonna match the chrome strip. I don't like how it looks with just the grille done and the chrome strip not. So its either both or just the strip. I need to find someone who makes plastic/acrylic molds so I can make some clear corners. Both of mine are cracked from jerk offs in parking lots, as well as a pine branch from a hurricane. hmmph.
My Mark is color code WK which I have seen referred to as "white opalescent" "Opal Opalescent" and "opal Pearlescent." It is a 1995, I know they changed the name for the second gen's but somebody enlighten me to which of the three is correct for first gen's. thanks

Color match on Gen 1's are best on black however it's simply something that hasn't been tried much on other colors. I haev a picture somewhere of an opalescent painted grille, in the mean time, here's a pic of my black 93.

fs4.jpg

sweet car, think iam going to color match my trim as well on my 96, i originally wanted a pearl white car but body shops want to much to paint pearls so ill just stick to black with painted chrome

I painted the grille of my 96 black LSC. For the side and bumper mouldings, I used black electrical tape.

Members online

No members online now.
Back