gen 1 cobra intake swap

catmech

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
has anyone done this on a gen1. if so will it clear the stock hood? what has to be done to complete the swap, i.e. parts needed, harness splicing ect.

Mike 94m5 did it... search for threads under his user name... it isn't quite as bolt on as the Gen 2...

it starting to sound like its not worth it. ill just port, gasket match and polish my stock intake. too bad, it would look really cool sitting on top of my motor. oh well.

it starting to sound like its not worth it. ill just port, gasket match and polish my stock intake. too bad, it would look really cool sitting on top of my motor. oh well.

You won't get that much from the Cobra intake on a Gen1, naturally aspirated anyways.

You can't really port the Gen1 intakes, the tubes are too thin. You can radius the inlets of the tubes however once you saw the plenum apart.

mini-Driller%20004.jpg

The proper radius is 1/8". You can do it by hand with dressing wheels and a die grinder or make quick work of it with a carbide router bit. Trust me on this, the proper radius is crucial to maximum flow.

Then polish it up all nice and smooth as far as you can reach in the tubes as well as the plenum before you TIG weld it back together. Be sure to throughly clean and polish the IMRCs as well as gasket matching as much as possible but it really doesn't need that much work.

Besides, you can take the money you save from the Cobra intake and have the Gen1 intake coated and polished for that bling appeal you was looking for. ;)

op4.jpg

that looks sweet driller. im not good with all of the intake work or port/radius work. how much do you charge????????????lol

I will be doing the swap onto my 96 this summer i almost have all the parts i will tell u if it's worth it or not! i will also be deleting the IMRC's so i will see how that works out.

Catmech, Blenderhead and 94m5 when't with a T45 i got a t56 cost me alot more then them i think but i said hell i am only doing this once so i will go all out! and i love it!

and rich i will deff tell u guys how it goes i can't start the swap till the school year ends cuz i need the mark to go to school. but as soon as June 12th comes around she will start coming apart! i also want to get it dyno tuned after all this so i will try to get vids of that too. does any one know a good place to get a dyno tune around southeastern Michigan?

You would wnat to cut it apart and rough it in, weld it back together and then get it honed... the results would be good I'm sure... I think that intake is one of the BEST looking that there is...

driller who can i get to radius those tubes.

No way I have time for anything like that now. I had an intake getting worked on once and my intake and money disappeared.

It's really a DIY project. You can take it to a machine shop or welding shop to have it cut apart. Then you could do the time consuming work and then take it back and have them TIG weld it back together. It's not rocket science.

Members online

No members online now.
Back