Gen 1 (00-02) Cooling Fan Removal Instructions-- LOTS OF PICTURES!!!

Kid_Lyrics

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

I've removed this Hydraulic Cooling Fan enough times to write a step-by-step with clear and precise pictures.

I told myself, that the next time that I removeit for whatever reason, that I'm doing it regardless of how much longer it would takeme.

So, here ya go.

For anyone who needs it.

I hope it makes it to a sticky : )!!

This write-up includes two different methods. They are specified in the write itself.

Thanks.... ENJOY!!!

---------------------------------------
Removing and Replacing the Hydraulic Cooling Fan and Fan Pump on a 2000-2002 Lincoln LS 3.9L V8

Disclaimer / Warning:
1. You may disconnect the battery at your leisure. These instructions do not include a battery disconnect.
2. You will lose coolant (antifreeze). Make sure to have extra
3. You will lose Hydraulic fluid (ATF Mercon V). Make sure to have extra
4. Be knowledgeable with the cooling flush procedure. You may want to proceed with it after finishing.

1. Open Hood
2. Remove Engine Cover

1.jpg

3. Loosen Screws that secures the intake box
3.jpg

4. Disconnect connectors for the MAF and Intake sensor

5. Loosen Screw that secures the intake to the throttle body
5.jpg

6. Remove all three hoses connected to the intake tube
6.0.jpg

6.1.jpg

7. Remove Intake
7.jpg

8. Locate the two metal shroud spacers and remove all 6 bolts with an 8mm socket
8.0.jpg

8.1.jpg

9. Be sure to place the bolts back in the holes to avoid losing them
9.1.jpg

9.2.jpg

10. Locate the AC Condenser(ACC) / Use a 12mm Socket to remove the nut securing the lines to the ACC
10.0.jpg

10.1.jpg

11. Place the nut back on the ACC

12. Locate the bracket securing the ACC and remove the bolt with an 8mm socket
12.0.jpg

12.1.jpg

12.2.jpg

13. Remove the bracket and ACC (set aside)
13.jpg

-- Coolant loss in the next few steps
14.0.jpg

14. Remove the connector on the Thermostat Housing (TH) by removing it from the metal tab
14.jpg

15. Remove the Auxilary Cooling Pump(ACP) hose connected to the TH. (Manuever backwards and up to the left)
15.0.jpg

15.1.jpg

15.2.jpg

15.3.jpg

15.4.jpg

16. Disconnect the electical connector on the top of the fan shroud
16.0.jpg

16.1.jpg

17. Disconnect the Radiator Cooling Outlet Tube Hose from the Radiator. (Manuever backwards and up to the left)
17.0.jpg

17.1.jpg

17.2.jpg

-- Coolant loss complete

18.Locate and remove two 10mm bolts securing the Auxilary Pump to the fan shroud
18.0.jpg

18.1.jpg

18.2.jpg

18.3.jpg

19. Remove AP from the shroud. A screwdriver or flat tool may be needed to budge the rubber from the plastic setting.
19.0.jpg

19.1.jpg

20. Locate and remove the two 8mm bolts securing the shroud to the radiator.
20.0.jpg

20.1.jpg

20.2.jpg

The fan should now be lose enough to pull more than half-way up from the car.

Warning: Do not pull too far, the hose and pump are still connected!!!

20.3.jpg

20.4.jpg

20.5.jpg

20.6.jpg

--- Your situation may vary in the next few steps

21. Locate the Cooling Fan Pump(CFP) on the rear of the fan shroud.
21.jpg

22. Locate and loosen the 19mm nut to remove the Hydrualic Cooling Pump(HCP) Line
22.jpg

---------If you can not lossen the 19mm nut skip to steps 26 - 30 --------

23. Locate and remove the 10mm bolt securing the HCP line to the shroud
23.jpg

-- Hydraulic Fluid Loss

24. Disconnect the CFP hydralic fluid line
24.0.jpg

24.1.jpg

24.2.jpg

-- Hydraulic Fluid Loss Complete

25. Remove Fan and shroud from the vehicle. To install, Reverse all Steps

------Warning: These steps are only if you can not remove your HCP line from the CFP and you are sure that your line is not clogged---------------

26. Locate the Cooling Fan Pump(CFP) on the rear of the fan shroud.
21.jpg

27. Locate and remove the 10mm bolt securing the HCP line to the shroud
23.jpg

-- Hydraulic Fluid Loss

28. Disconnect the CFP hydralic fluid line
29. Use a 12mm socket to remove the 4 bolts holding the CFP together
29.0.jpg

29.1.jpg

30. Seperate the two halves of the CFP
30.0.jpg

30.1.jpg

31. Remove the Fan and shroud from the vehicle. To install, reverse all Steps

----------If you want to remove the fan blades from the shroud

32. Locate the three 8mm bolts on the front of the fan and remove
32.0.jpg

32.1.jpg

33. Locate the 13mm bolt and turn counter clockwise to loosen and remove
33.0.jpg

33.1.jpg

34. Remove the Fan, Shroud, and Blades from the vehicle. to install, reverse all steps

30.2.jpg

The part on the fan shroud is the cooling fan motor - not pump. IIRC, it's a vane motor, so pulling it apart should be done very carefully. Vanes on used parts need to be reinstalled in the same orientation they are removed, and that's hard to do if they've fallen to the ground.

The silver canister on the top of the shroud is the A/C receiver/driver - not the condenser. This will vent the A/C. The receiver/drier must be replaced if it is vented. The A/C system also needs to be recharged. You also should install a new receiver/drier immediately before charging. Removing the receiver/drier should not be necessary. Makes it a little easier, but it can be pushed out of the way and managed.

The full coolant bleed procedure absolutely must be performed since the cooling system is opened.

If you're cracking the system open, replace all AC seals you can reach too. You can get a box of them, multiple sizes, from the parts store for about 10 bucks. This will save you from an AC leak down the road, and is very simple to do now. Pay close attention to how tight the hose nuts are tightened down when you loosen them so you'll know how tight to get them when you put them back on. As always, with hollow tubes, you will want to use tube wrenches, and give it a good, sharp snap on the wrench when you loosen them. It's intuitive to go slow when you do this but when you try to loosen hollow pipes slowly you can bend and twist the hose without breaking the nuts loose. And, make sure to hold both sides, not just one side or even a sharp snap will bend the hoses.

Excellent work though, nothing I like seeing more than a hydraulic cooling fan biting the dust. Can't stand those messy, noisy things.

I usually drain my coolant by means of utilizing the radiator drain valve at the bottom of the radiator.

like so:

coolflush-drain.jpg

Unless I missed a step I understood hoses were just removed and coolant spilled out? <shrugs>

coolflush-drain.jpg

I usually drain my coolant by means of utilizing the radiator drain valve at the bottom of the radiator.

like so:

View attachment 828475871

Unless I missed a step I understood hoses were just removed and coolant spilled out? <shrugs>
Yes they were. People are free to modify it as they please. I don't think it's a perfect way but it's definitely a way that works.

_-_ IG: KID_LYRICS _-_

Yeah understood, all roads lead to Rome, what's a little coolant on the ground and some refrigerants ejected into the environment. I mean, who cares right? F*ck the environment as per this logic.

Bud, I'm terribly sorry, please don't have a cow or what have you BUT ... we try and make attempts at capturing these nasty automotive fluids as apposed to just dumping them.

Perhaps not everyone I'm sure BUT ... the political correct method would be to drain the coolant down to a level (as needed) by using the valve on the bottom of the rad as provided, into a bucket. (I understood you had water so mute) ... and we really should go to a garage open wallet and let them extract and capture the Air Conditioning Refrigerants, known as a purge, only then do we go back home and crack lines open.

On that note: I'm such a bastard myself ... I burn my used motor oil in my back yard firepit, throw it on a good fire and watch it burn like mad until the morning hours. No angel wings here on that one! F*ck 'em! Benefits of living country side away from the big cities <grins evilly>

Perhaps not everyone I'm sure BUT ... the political correct method would be to drain the coolant down to a level (as needed) by using the valve on the bottom of the rad as provided, into a bucket. (I understood you had water so mute) ... and we really should go to a garage open wallet and let them extract and capture the Air Conditioning Refrigerants, known as a purge, only then do we go back home and crack lines open.

Fun fact: draining the rad won't help all that much because of the convoluted hose routing. Antifreeze will still spill out.

Good point that venting R134a went illegal in 2013. I hadn't caught that. Man, can't do anything anymore.

Oh I don't know about that, I've drained it down on my 01 and had only some coming from the lines as I disassembled everything. Sure beats just removing hoses with a full system the way I figure it. Particular the upper hose would be emptied. Smaller lines to DCCV and Aux flow pump would of course still hold some, yes.

Great how to!!! Question though lol When reinstalling everything, did u need to release air from the HCP? If so, how?

Hello, Not real sure what I'm doing. Ie how to ask a question, and also regarding the fan. So, I got my fan off a little bit differently. Now when I try to put it back, I'm thinking I dropped a spacer/washer or something somewhere along the way. Because, when I tighten the 13 mm bolt holding the fan to the hydraulic pump, the fan won't turn. Bolt holds it too tightly to the pump, I'm guessing. I'm going to try putting a washer in there so the bolt won't squeeze the fans against the motor??? What is going on???

Hello All,

I've removed this Hydraulic Cooling Fan enough times to write a step-by-step with clear and precise pictures.

I told myself, that the next time that I removeit for whatever reason, that I'm doing it regardless of how much longer it would takeme.

So, here ya go.

For anyone who needs it.

I hope it makes it to a sticky : )!!

This write-up includes two different methods. They are specified in the write itself.

Thanks.... ENJOY!!!

---------------------------------------
Removing and Replacing the Hydraulic Cooling Fan and Fan Pump on a 2000-2002 Lincoln LS 3.9L V8

Disclaimer / Warning:
1. You may disconnect the battery at your leisure. These instructions do not include a battery disconnect.
2. You will lose coolant (antifreeze). Make sure to have extra
3. You will lose Hydraulic fluid (ATF Mercon V). Make sure to have extra
4. Be knowledgeable with the cooling flush procedure. You may want to proceed with it after finishing.

1. Open Hood
2. Remove Engine Cover

View attachment 828564618

3. Loosen Screws that secures the intake box
View attachment 828564619

4. Disconnect connectors for the MAF and Intake sensor

5. Loosen Screw that secures the intake to the throttle body
View attachment 828564620

6. Remove all three hoses connected to the intake tube
View attachment 828564621
View attachment 828564622

7. Remove Intake
View attachment 828564623

8. Locate the two metal shroud spacers and remove all 6 bolts with an 8mm socket
View attachment 828564624
View attachment 828564625

9. Be sure to place the bolts back in the holes to avoid losing them
View attachment 828564626
View attachment 828564627

10. Locate the AC Condenser(ACC) / Use a 12mm Socket to remove the nut securing the lines to the ACC
View attachment 828564628
View attachment 828564629

11. Place the nut back on the ACC

12. Locate the bracket securing the ACC and remove the bolt with an 8mm socket
View attachment 828564630
View attachment 828564631
View attachment 828564632

13. Remove the bracket and ACC (set aside)
View attachment 828564633

-- Coolant loss in the next few steps
View attachment 828564634

14. Remove the connector on the Thermostat Housing (TH) by removing it from the metal tab
View attachment 828564635

15. Remove the Auxilary Cooling Pump(ACP) hose connected to the TH. (Manuever backwards and up to the left)
View attachment 828564636
View attachment 828564637
View attachment 828564638
View attachment 828564639
View attachment 828564640

16. Disconnect the electical connector on the top of the fan shroud
View attachment 828564641
View attachment 828564642

17. Disconnect the Radiator Cooling Outlet Tube Hose from the Radiator. (Manuever backwards and up to the left)
View attachment 828564643
View attachment 828564644
View attachment 828564645

-- Coolant loss complete

18.Locate and remove two 10mm bolts securing the Auxilary Pump to the fan shroud
View attachment 828564646
View attachment 828564647
View attachment 828564648
View attachment 828564649

19. Remove AP from the shroud. A screwdriver or flat tool may be needed to budge the rubber from the plastic setting.
View attachment 828564650
View attachment 828564651

20. Locate and remove the two 8mm bolts securing the shroud to the radiator.
View attachment 828564652
View attachment 828564653
View attachment 828564654

The fan should now be lose enough to pull more than half-way up from the car.

Warning: Do not pull too far, the hose and pump are still connected!!!

View attachment 828564655
View attachment 828564656
View attachment 828564657
View attachment 828564658

--- Your situation may vary in the next few steps

21. Locate the Cooling Fan Pump(CFP) on the rear of the fan shroud.
View attachment 828564659

22. Locate and loosen the 19mm nut to remove the Hydrualic Cooling Pump(HCP) Line
View attachment 828564660

---------If you can not lossen the 19mm nut skip to steps 26 - 30 --------

23. Locate and remove the 10mm bolt securing the HCP line to the shroud
View attachment 828564661

-- Hydraulic Fluid Loss

24. Disconnect the CFP hydralic fluid line
View attachment 828564662
View attachment 828564663
View attachment 828564664

25. Remove Fan and shroud from the vehicle. To install, Reverse all Steps

------Warning: These steps are only if you can not remove your HCP line from the CFP and you are sure that your line is not clogged---------------

26. Locate the Cooling Fan Pump(CFP) on the rear of the fan shroud.
View attachment 828564665

27. Locate and remove the 10mm bolt securing the HCP line to the shroud
View attachment 828564666

-- Hydraulic Fluid Loss

28. Disconnect the CFP hydralic fluid line
29. Use a 12mm socket to remove the 4 bolts holding the CFP together
View attachment 828564667
View attachment 828564668

30. Seperate the two halves of the CFP
View attachment 828564669
View attachment 828564670

31. Remove the Fan and shroud from the vehicle. To install, reverse all Steps

----------If you want to remove the fan blades from the shroud

32. Locate the three 8mm bolts on the front of the fan and remove
View attachment 828564671
View attachment 828564672

33. Locate the 13mm bolt and turn counter clockwise to loosen and remove
View attachment 828564673
View attachment 828564674

34. Remove the Fan, Shroud, and Blades from the vehicle. to install, reverse all steps

View attachment 828564675

Hi, I'm trying to ask a question. Maybe this is the place. I got the fan off, went a little different route, but got it out. Now, when I tighten the 13mm bolt holding the fan to the pump, the fan won't spin freely. I think I must have dropped a spacer/washer or something?? The side of the fan that attaches to the pump looks like there may have been something touching, like a spacer/washer. but I'm not sure. Why is this happening? To me.

Hey, I figured it out!!!!! OK, so when you remove the plastic fan, it is held to the pump by a bronze, three-armed propeller sort of thing, which can be removed from the fan. That thing has a hole in the middle for the bolt from the pump to go through. You attach a nut on the exterior/radiator side. There is a "bump" on one side, the other side is flat. I put the propeller back into the plastic fan with the bump hidden, ie, facing towards the radiator. The bump must be exposed, ie, facing the pump/engine. That bump allows some space between the plastic fan and the radiator fan shroud. If the flat side is exposed, when you tighten the nut, the plastic fan will not move - it is stuck by pressure. So, make sure you've got the spacer bump facing the pump. I could write a song, eh? Thank you and good morning

Members online

No members online now.
Back