gas smell?

rickztahone

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
i consistently get a gas smell both outside and inside my cabin. it has gotten worse as of late. are there things i can check (possible culprit) to see where it might be coming from? i see no leaks, i am not using up any more gas than usual and everything seems fine. any ideas? thanks all.

It is not unusual to smell some gas on restart if the last time the car was run was only for a minute or so.
Bad coils causing misfire can also give a gasoline smell, but that should be bad enough to get a check engine light.
Problems with the evaporative emission control system can cause a gasoline smell, but that too should turn on the check engine light.

Check the fuel filter behind the left front wheel well.
i will do that. thank you
It is not unusual to smell some gas on restart if the last time the car was run was only for a minute or so.
Bad coils causing misfire can also give a gasoline smell, but that should be bad enough to get a check engine light.
Problems with the evaporative emission control system can cause a gasoline smell, but that too should turn on the check engine light.

it is mainly in the morning when i start up my car that i smell it. after that i really can't smell it after i start it up again. it might just be that i don't smell it because i'm not in an enclosed area however.

Also check the fuel rail where each fuel injector mates to it. Any leak from the fuel tank or vent system should turn the check engine light on. Any leak from the pressurized fuel line (including filter) won't turn the check engine light on.

I suppose that use of the wrong octane gasoline might also cause a smell, generally only if the octane is too high. (From my experience 93/94 is not too high.)

Members online

No members online now.
Back