gas smell now

mossbergman

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Tonight, coming home from work, the car has some serious gas fumes. Serious enough to permeate my clothes in the smell. Broke out a flash light and looked under the car, and saw nothing obvious. Car is next to empty. smell seems to be coming from around the tank area. It has happened once before, when it was cold out, but not nearly this bad. At this point im pretty sure its not the carbon can or any of the evap components. Maybe the seal on top of the tank for the pump? Im thinking not though because its never been ****ed with. Ideas?

hmm. this is a gen 2 thing. i have seen this problem before. but i didn't pay any attention cuz i have a gen 1. :lol:

Umm....it's late, so it's hard to think, but....

There's the vacuum line that goes into the intake manifold just underneath the throttle body. That usually is quite dry-rotted and can cause the fuel smell inside the cabin.

Other than that, you may want to jack the car up in the morning and check the hoses around the evap tray and gas tank to make sure nothing is split or disconnected. An articulating inspection mirror will help with this, so you don't have to drop the tank.

I think I remember seeing something about the vent solenoid in the evap tray sticking shut causing the gas smell too (not sure, can't remember, it's late). Maybe you could try unplugging it and applying 12V to it and see if it clicks.

You can relocate that hose, I rerouted mine to inside the rear bumper

I remember my 94 having a real bad gas smell inside when I first bought it and it turned out being the ring seal that holds the pump in place. Someone had replaced the pump and when they put the ring back on, they pinched the seal up into a small wrinkle and if I put more than 10 to 12 gallons in the tank, it would leak gas out the top and the smell would get into the car. I ended up swapping out the seals and then I was finally able to fill it up without anymore gas fumes coming into the car. Not that this is your problem, I'm just sayin. I don't know how the Gen 2's seal off on the top but it sounds like it's cold related.... whatever it is.

Never wish for it to blow up because it might just happen. Being inside a Mark when it blows up ain't no joke lol. Kinda scary!

Members online

No members online now.
Back