Gas Mileage?

chexjc

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey i posted another thread but didn't get as many responses as i wanted about gas mileage. i'm thinking about buying an 88 mark vii. it is supposedly in good condition..im not sure yet but thats what i've heard. im just curious to know what kind of gas mileage i can expect from an 88..and if its much worse than a more recent mark vii.

I bought mine 2 months ago with 170,000 miles on it and I am getting constant 24-25 MPG on the highway and 17-18 in the city. My combined is between 20-21. Now that said this is without "having fun" which is hard to not do once you give it a good tune up and possible "enhance" it a little ...

:L

AFAIC it sucks....mine is around 11-13 due to my foot and city driving.

Mines like 15-16 with the tremec and driving it like i stole it.

About 21+ on the highway.

95 continental 4.6 like
14 to 16 on street and 18 to 20 on High way

chexjc said:
Hey i posted another thread but didn't get as many responses as i wanted about gas mileage. i'm thinking about buying an 88 mark vii. it is supposedly in good condition..im not sure yet but thats what i've heard. im just curious to know what kind of gas mileage i can expect from an 88..and if its much worse than a more recent mark vii.
Book says 17-25.

If MPG is a true considerartion, go with a six or four cylinder car.

A Focus with four 200# passengers and groceries and the air conditioner and radio and wipers and defroster on with an automatic blows the doors off of our Mark VIIs for MPG.

Did you buy the car or pass?

nope i still haven't looked at it..gas mileage isn't what i'm exactly looking for in a car..i just don't want it to really suck

nvm i decided i'm not getting it..someone took a look at it for me and said it breaks down all the time

Well mine gets 13 m.p.g but i don't really go anywhere with it much anymore. I maybe put 10 miles on it a week. But still for a V-8 that's very good. I have a 1994 Isuzu Rodeo as well (I have many vehicles lol) and it only gets 12-16 when the 1989 Mk. VII LSC gets 14-21 and the Rodeo has 2 fewer cylinders.

Oh dear...

This is all a bit dissapointing. You see, I'm going to collect my first Mk VII tomorrow. Trouble is, I'm in England and our petrol (gas!) is currently about £4 a gallon ($7.50).

Oops.

Limey said:
This is all a bit dissapointing. You see, I'm going to collect my first Mk VII tomorrow. Trouble is, I'm in England and our petrol (gas!) is currently about £4 a gallon ($7.50).

Oops.

Welcome to the forum.

A properly maintained Lincoln Mark VII is a dependable, luxury sport coupe. There's a guy in Burnham-On-Sea that would agree with me :)

Limey said:

Oops.

Yeah.... another Lincoln owner from across the sea!

Welcome.

Limey said:

Oops.

Hello there fellow Limey.

I have a 1988 LSC that I use as my daily driver in London (although I don't drive it to work).

I can't quote on your Mk VII, but mine is THE most reliable/fixable car I've owned - along with the low insurance - I'm not too bothered about mpg.

Its easier to park than the mk3 golf I had before!
Motorway MPG is actually better than my old Fiat Marea 2.0L 5cyl.
Best though is the looks and comments you'll get (see how jealous someone who just wasted £50k on a common Porsche can get)

P.S. isn't US MPG different from UK MPG?
Yeah just googled it:
15 US MPG = 18 UK MPG
20 = 24
25 = 30

Well all those replys make me feel good! My 88 BB gets about 21 around town and 24+ on the open road at 75 to 85 mph. It was using about a quart of oil per thousand miles when I bought it at 34,000 miles. But after a couple long trips at 75mph it's dropped use down to quart every 3000 now.

Love my BB!!!!

rustic302 said:
Hello there fellow Limey.

I have a 1988 LSC that I use as my daily driver in London (although I don't drive it to work).

I can't quote on your Mk VII, but mine is THE most reliable/fixable car I've owned - along with the low insurance - I'm not too bothered about mpg.

Its easier to park than the mk3 golf I had before!
Motorway MPG is actually better than my old Fiat Marea 2.0L 5cyl.
Best though is the looks and comments you'll get (see how jealous someone who just wasted £50k on a common Porsche can get)

P.S. isn't US MPG different from UK MPG?
Yeah just googled it:
15 US MPG = 18 UK MPG
20 = 24
25 = 30

Hello!
Thanks for the nice comments guys.

Our MkVII will be our daily driver too and is replacing a Jag of the same year and you're right, the insurance is about £50 less.
Not used car enough to comment on the mpg yet, but it's not looking all that good.
Of course, i've not mentioned the LPG conversion... 45p per litre... Yay!

The MKVII has a lot more torque than the Jag (a 3.2 XJ6 by the way) but it feels a lot fussier at speed. 80 mph feels fast in the Lincoln and doesn't inspire you to go much more, whereas the Jag feels like it's strolling at 100mph and urging you to go faster. Should be the other way round really as the MKVII has much taller gearing than the Jag.

I'd better shut up now as this is turning into Lincoln V's Jaguar !!

Limey said:
Hello!
Thanks for the nice comments guys.
I'd better shut up now as this is turning into Lincoln V's Jaguar !!
You're welcome!
We don't mind the debate at all. A Mark VII with all new bushings, front and rear, then new shocks, and lastly a true wheel alignment, is as smooth at 100 mph as a jet taking off. I didn't do this for too long of a stretch mind you as I didn't want to blow up my 1990.

Oh yeah ... the alignment works wonders for Gas Mileage also.

Just used my first tankful and worked out the mpg.

17.5 (Imperial) so probaly barely 14 mpg to the US gallon. This was over a couple of long runs too so not good...

Then again, I did touch 110mph once...

Hi Guys

You all need to get yourselfs a Town Car I get 76mpg on the freeway and about 57mpg around the city with my 92 Town Car :D

Regards

Dereck

OldSchool1 said:
.......There's a guy in Burnham-On-Sea that would agree with me :)

Hi Oldschooll

How are you dude?

Man that Burnham-On-Sea guy is a handsome brute :)

Take care

Dereck

Incredible gas mileage!!!!

Dereck....did I read that right? 76 mpg on the highway? Was it being towed at the time???

Gray Mist said:
Dereck....did I read that right? 76 mpg on the highway? Was it being towed at the time???

Hi Gray Mist

Hee, hee, hee, it is my sarcastic answer to any gas milage thread, you guys have the biggest cars in the world, with the biggest engines in the world, the cheapest gas in the world and you all still whine about gas milage ;)

Regards

Dereck

Dereck said:
Hi OldSchool1

How are you dude?

Man that Burnham-On-Sea guy is a handsome brute :)

Take care

Dereck
Hi Dereck.
Handsome ... maybe. Brute ... definitely :)

Guys. At last mention, Dereck was paying the equivalent of $7.00US per gallon of gas in his town. While vacationing in the US, he drove a 2005 Town Car and paid about $2.75 per gallon. He is also quoted as saying, "They're giving away the gas in this country! I can't drive enough to make a dent!"

Pennsylvania fuel price this week is $2.13 per gallon. Very few countries have lower fuel costs than America. Venezuela's fuel is subsidized by the government and retails for (gasp) $0.12 per gallon. I think I'm like the only person on the east coast that doesn't complain about fuel prices.

As for fuel economy, I like to drive in the city, stop and go traffic, with the air conditioning running. The Trip Minder will say that I average 12 miles per gallon but mathematically, it's closer to 15 - 17. Three cars are tuned well and have great tire pressure and alignment.

Members online

Back