Gas Cap

jamhow

LVC Member
Reaction score
I just bought an 01 V8 LS w/ 23,000 miles. Runs great, but I keep getting the check engine light and today it started giving me a check gas cap message. It is on tight. Do they go bad on LS's or what could be the problem? I have run a bottle of Stp fuel treatment through it--no difference.

jamhow said:
I just bought an 01 V8 LS w/ 23,000 miles. Runs great, but I keep getting the check engine light and today it started giving me a check gas cap message. It is on tight. Do they go bad on LS's or what could be the problem? I have run a bottle of Stp fuel treatment through it--no difference.

go get the CEL read at autozone to see what the problem is... as far as the gas cap, not sure... i've never heard of check gas cap, my gas light goes on all the time but thats from low fuel. :rolleyes:

I have driven without the gas cap and havent gotten the message.
I forgot to close it at a gas station.
My friend has an accord and it does the same thing.
His gas cap sensor is messed up and now his CEL is on all the time.
I didnt even know LS had that.

welcome. Yeah like lucky said have AZ read the computer for you and post the DTC here as soon as possible. Chances are one of us have had the problem. The car is like a serial killer when it comes to its taste in problems it likes to throw at us.

It is true - without a tight gas cap the fuel system cannot build enough pressure and will throw a CEL. not a common issue but a few have reported it.

Same with the radiator overflow bottle cap.

Also if the little valve that allows the air to flow out as you fill up the tank gets stuck it can cause the ecm to throw a code as well...but you can usually tell that it is stuck because you can only put a small amount of fuel in at a time

Quik LS said:
It is true - without a tight gas cap the fuel system cannot build enough pressure and will throw a CEL. not a common issue but a few have reported it.

Same with the radiator overflow bottle cap.
Uhhhh could this be the reason why the "low coolant level" light has been on in my wife's Taurus for a year despite being full? Only one way to find out. If this is it, you're my hero.

luckieleo said:
go get the CEL read at autozone to see what the problem is... as far as the gas cap, not sure... i've never heard of check gas cap, my gas light goes on all the time but thats from low fuel. :rolleyes:

The CEL read showed P133 & P457. The "check gas cap" pops up on the average fuel milage display. I have to hit reset to get rid of it.

I suppose I have the right gas cap--stick it in and turn it about a quarter of a turn until it snaps tight?

pP133 - The HEGO Monitor checks the HO2S Sensor frequency and amplitude. If during testing the frequency and amplitude were to fall below a calibrated limit, the test will fail.

Possible Causes:
Contaminated HO2S sensor.
Exhaust leaks.
Shorted /open wiring.
Improper fueling.
MAF sensor.
Deteriorating HO2S sensor.
Inlet air leaks.

P457 - A fuel tank pressure change greater than a minus (-) 7 inches of H 2 0 in 30 seconds has occurred after refueling; or there is excessive purge (fuel vapor) flow greater than 0.06 pounds per minute.

Possible Casues:
Fuel filler cap not installed on refueling (storing continuous memory DTC) and "check Fuel Cap" light may also be illuminated.
Fuel filler cap missing, loose or cross-threaded.

sounds like the right cap. I had the problem and turned out to be a vacuum line leak. The dealer replaced some vacuum line.

p0133: Upstream HO2S Circuit Slow Response, Bank No. 1

*** You might need to replace the O2 sensors in bank one the pre cat sensor.

p0457: Fuel Filler Cap Loose Or Off

*** Cap will set you back about 20 dollars. I would replace the cap and see if the code return.

Start the car, lift the hood and listen for vacuum leaks. Also, after running the car have someone turn it off for you I found my vacuum leak that way. I was able to hear it for about 1 second after the car was turned off. It might take several attempts to find it.

I put a new gas cap on this morning. Haven't had a chance to drive it more than 15 or 20 minutes, but I noticed this--the "check gas cap" message did not pop up while I was driving as it had been--only when I started it after the engine had been shut off. My question is--how long does it take to work the errors out of the "system"? If the new cap is a fix, will I continue to get the message for a while or should the warning go away immediately?

or pull out the guage cluster and remove the light bulb....presto no more check engine light.

2k2ls said:
or pull out the guage cluster and remove the light bulb....presto no more check engine light.
I've always liked the screwdriver/ hammer technique, where you place the sharp end of the screwdriver over the little engine symbol and wack it with the hammer.
Its not as pretty as taking all the "struse"(screws) out but it is effective.

Members online

No members online now.
Back