Fuel sender testing

phreakness

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
My gas gauge hasn't worked since the swap. I've got the fuel sender out but I need to test if the float level is working correctly. And one know how to test it.

I tried searching but vBulletin search results suck.

I replaced the one in my 97, it had a couple dead spots in it. Used the one out of the focus basket I bought.... with a few mods.
It measured iirc around 14 or 16 ohms empty and 67 or 76 ohms full...

well after alot of testing I figured out that the 03 cobra float I had was erroring out the PCM I put the mark VIII spare one I had (after 3 hours looking through parts) and all 'seem' to be fine. I tired the 03 cobra one and until you get to about a 1/4 it gave the message sender open. So I'm good now I guess, off to the next thing.... oil leaks and cleaning.

Well that sorta didn't work. I just went out and started the car. The fuel gauge showed low but I didn't get a sender error. Went to the gas station, put $20 in and fuel sender open. F my life!

i have the same problem in my 97. i swapped in a 255 walbro unit for a cobra. now my gauge always reads empty and i get a fuel sender error. is there an easy fix for this or do i just have to live with it this way?

The ground wire in the harness was broken in mine. check all your connections and wires

will do next time i get around to feeling like dropping the tank. i will just have to live with it for a while untill i have the time and motivation. thanks for the suggestion.

there is a small access hole under your rear passenger seat. you might be able to get to the harness that goes to you tank pressure valve and the sender. check that. Also check at the FPDM in the trunk. hope you have a good multi-meter.

this is the same messege that im getting my car is currently in the shop getting the sending unit checked out.

im currently a fuel pump guru. the reason why you get a fuel sender open message on the display is when you dont currently center the fuel pump sending unit inside the tank. The floater gets stuck and you get the message.

Towncar Sending Unit Stuck

im currently a fuel pump guru. the reason why you get a fuel sender open message on the display is when you dont currently center the fuel pump sending unit inside the tank. The floater gets stuck and you get the message.

Yes Guru, you hit it. I also experienced the same condition on my 97 Towncar thus my fuel gauge is stuck showing always 15 gallons regardless of fuel level, or so I suspect, thus I replaced the fuel pump motor without dropping the fuel tank and the space to R&I the pump Module is very tight. Not to say that the fuel level sending unit has a very long wire attached to the float and if not guided correctly when installing back the pump module, it can get stuck against the fuel inner tank walls.. so :( I suspect that is the case on mine and to verify will work again by draining the fuel and R&I the entire fuel pump module correctly & vertically..:cool:

By the way. I went under my car again and removed the entire fuel pump module with the fuel level indicator switch that is attached to it as a combo unit. Performed an outside resistance check on the fuel level sending unit and it was within the following parameters: 19 to 20 ohms when the float level was down (Empty position), in the lower 100ohms in mid position (half a tank) and 164 to 172 ohms on the top position on (Full Tank level position) . But when I install the module back into the fuel tank, again is reading 16 gallons and showing 122 ohms when resistance was measured at the fuel pump connector.
Any ideas why?

Members online

No members online now.
Back