Fuel Pump LS `02 3.9

raiseyourdrive

LVC Member
Reaction score
Ok folks I need some help. If some of you have read my other posts you know I have been battling a cold start issue for the past several weeks. Here is what the car is doing:

Won't start on cold days after sitting for a couple of hours. I have to turn the key on and off and crank the car three or four times unitl I hear the fuel pump kick on and pressurize the line at which point the car starts fine and runs fine no problems.

Here is what I have done:

1) Replaced fuel filter.
2) Replaced Coolant temp sensor (car defaults to warm start if bad).
3) On to the fuel pump...

I am now to the fuel pump:

I pulled the back seat up to find two fuel pumps? Is this correct? I checked both for Voltage and they are both at 12v's. When I turn the key only the passenger side makes any noise. Is this correct? or should both sides make some noise? Does anyone have a wiring diagram for the fuel system? Also I believe this is more a matter of pressure leakdown rather than fuel pump. There is a diaphragm in the fuel line before it hits the fuel rail (round metal part splitting the fuel line, not the connector). Has anyone ever heard of this going bad?

pic's of the fuel pump (s)

fuel pump 1.jpg

fuel pump 2.jpg

When I bought my '02 a couple years ago with 38,000 miles, the fuel pump had to be replaced. The dealer said the fuel pump going bad was a common problem w/ '00 - '02.

In your pictures, the top picture with two lines going into it is the fuel delivery module (fuel pump). The second picture with three lines going into it is the jet pump module. In the service manual, they only suggest replacement. They do not go into any further detail than to remove and replace.

This is the description from the service manual:
"a jet pump module which maintains the fuel levels in both tank sides and contains a fuel level sensor.
-- a check valve which maintains system pressure after the pump is off.

a fuel delivery module (9H307)which provides pressurized fuel to the engine and contains:
-- a fuel level sensor (9275).
-- a inlet filter."

how do you remove the blue part? (without special tool) I'm guessing it pulls straight up?

I have been battling this same cold start issue with my 02 LSE for a couple of years now. I just expect that once the outside temps drop below freezing, I will need to change my start-up procedure and this seems to work every time. I start by cranking the car once like normal, holding the starter on for about 5 seconds. Then once the car does not fire, I leave the key in the "On" position so that all electrical items are running (including the fuel pump) for about 30 seconds. Then I crank again - and presto! It fires up no problem. I have suspected a fuel line pressure bleed-off as well, but the source could be at the injectors or at the fuel pump. I brought this to the dealer last winter and it took them 2 weeks to tell me that they couldn't figure it out. Good luck! Let me know if replacing the fuel pump works for you and the cost - maybe I will go the same route.

i dont have the cold start issue, i'm just replacing the pump.

the one with the more hoses coming out the top is the actual fuel pump. The other one is the 'jet pump' which is nothing more than a siphoning pickup (and fuel level indicator - as said above). There is nothing really to go wrong in the jet pump - just hoses and the level indicator.

Ford does sell a tool to get the blue ring off, I made one out of some metal bar, but basically is has fingers that grab the side and allows you to 'spin' the ring off. Getting the ring back on without cross-threading can be a little tricky.

you should be able to measure 40psi on the rail (there is a schrader valve in the middle of the driver's side rail) with the car off and the pump primed. with the car idling - it should be around 30psi (40psi at the nozzle - 10psi vacuum). If you are not getting 40psi after turning the key (but before the car starts) maybe the fuel pump - but you would expect it to show up while driving as well.

opps - yes side with the less hoses - passenger side

here is a pic of my modded one
attachment.jpg

awesome, thanks for the picture and fast responses!!

what holds the whole assembly down in the tank? how do you take it out, is it the metal wire shown in the picture above?

the metal wire is the float arm

on the fuel pump, it snaps into brackets at the bottom of the tank (inside), then the lid is held in by that be blue plastic nut.

on the jet pump, it is spring loaded, and the force holding the lid down hold the pick at the bottom of the tank.

Fuel Pump Replacement

Good stuff on this forum, enough to save me a lot of money!! One thing was lacking though, a step-by-step how to guide. Here it is.

First off, no matter how many times the dealer or anybody else tells you that you MUST drop the tank, you don't have to. I was told it would be about $1,100 to get it done and I did it myself in under an hour for only $350. That $350 was getting the part from the dealer. DO NOT GET THE PUMP FROM ADVANCE AUTO OR AUTO ZONE!! Napa has it listed on their website but when I called they said it was unavailable. No special tools needed to remove the blue "nut," just some ingenuity.

Steps:
-Disconnect battery and make sure you are in a well ventilated space.

-Remove the lower part of the back seat (2 little locking mechanisms on bottom front of the cushion.)

-Pull up the rubber matting and find the 6" round rubber "plug" on the passenger side. Wedge a flat tip screwdriver in and pry it out without punching holes in the rubber.

-Disconnect wire plug and hoses. The red and white clips stay connected to the white tank cap and the black hoses pull out from the middle as you squeeze the clips. Kind of a pain just be patient, you don't want to break the hoses.

-Give a tap with a screwdriver and hammer to loosen (lefty loosey) the blue "nut" and remove the cover.

-Hold the white tank cap with one hand while you reach in and squeeze the two tabs towards the center of the pump with the other hand. This releases the pump from the tank mount. It will slide straight up and out. You will have to work it a little to get the float out.

-Recommend doing a quick inspection of the tank at this point to see if you have any corrosion issues or anything in the fuel that looks like it doesn't belong. Just be sure to use a flashlight that doesn't burn really hot as Gasoline vapors have an extremely low flash point.

-Insert the new pump and ensure it seats properly, clicking all the way down into the mount. Be careful with the float when inserting.

-Connect the hoses and wire plug, ensuring they seat properly as well. Make sure you have the gasket and blue "nut" on before you connect them.

-Screw the blue "nut" back on. It can give you a hard time but don't force it. The last thing you want is to cross-thread it so it won't seal completely.

-Replace the rubber plug and the rear seat. Don't force the seat in either. When locking the front back into the locking mechanisms, you have to open the latches as you did when taking it out in order to put the seat back down all the way. If you break the latches the seat bottom will always be loose.

-Cycle the pump by turning the ignition on and off a few times to get fuel into the pump. Should fire right up.

If you haven't done the fuel filter yet, I would just to make sure your fuel delivery system is clean. It take maybe 30-45 minutes. A clogged filter can strain a pump pretty bad and end up burning it out a lot faster. Hope this helps.

The blue "nut" is called a retaining ring. And I agree that was teh worst part of the job. Pain in the ass getting it back on. The do make a retaining ring removal tool that I could've bought. I just used a flathead screwdriver and hammer.

Also, I upgraded my pump to a 255lph walbro. I bought the pump/filters from www.fuel-pumps.net as a package for about 150. I did have to modify the white cap on the housing to get the taller pump to fit.

That would make reinstalling SO much easier. They didnt have any in stock when I was doing mine. I didn't want to wait to change the pump, so I made due. For $14, I should just buy one now, for the next time. Good tool to have, I wager.

tool

autozone will rent you the tool for free. I believe the others have it too. it does make the job easier. just replaced mine in an 01 at 128k miles. Those plastic pinch locks are a pita, then pulling the fuel lines out of the top, arrgh! mine broke so i epoxied the whole thing back together. works fine.

Well I replaced the fuel pump thanks to the helpful previous posts, but my car is acting exactly how it was! Guess it wasn't the fuel pump after all. I changed the pump, filter and put fresh gas in! But it keeps stalling out after start up!

rko I'm having somewhat of a similar problem and am looking at possibly changing the pump after first changing the relay. Please keep me informed of your progress and I hope you are able to figure this thing out quickly!

Well I replaced the fuel pump thanks to the helpful previous posts, but my car is acting exactly how it was! Guess it wasn't the fuel pump after all. I changed the pump, filter and put fresh gas in! But it keeps stalling out after start up!

Check the fuel pressure at the rail before you waste more time on the fuel pumps and fuel filter.

Low fuel pressure at the rail -> Change the fuel filter. Still no go, change the jet pump assembly (driver's side of the tank).

Fuel pressure okay -> Unplug the MAF (actually, start with this step). If it now stays running, you have a dirty MAF or an air leak between the MAF and the engine. Still no go, then hold the gas pedal half way down and try to start it. If it'll run that way, then probably your IAC is stuck closed and needs to be replaced.

I'll be working on it today and let you know if any progress. & Ill follow those tips Joegr, thanks!

255 lph walbro fuel pump

I am replacing my stock fuel pump with a 255 lph Walbro fuel pump for my 2000 Lincoln Ls V8...I noticed that this fuel pump is a little longer than the stock...one....I read that Pektel modified the white top....what exactly did you have to do...I tried to force it but its not working...the only way I could get it to close is by not putting that inner filter on...any suggestion would be appreciated:D

Members online

No members online now.
Back