Fuel Line Disconnect Tool

• Thread starter Deleted member 20330
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 20330

Does anyone have a preferred fuel line disconnect tool when replacing the fuel filter on a Gen 2 ?

Doesn't one side require a disconnect tool though?

Gen 1 only. I would know, I have the stupid tool. Gen 2 has simple clips on both sides instead of the ridiculous latch Gen 1 has on one side.

A flat head screw driver and your thumb.

Soduka,

Thank you, that sounds easy enough.

I was concerned the fuel line, being 16 years old, might be damaged during disconnection without using a special tool I've read about with Gen 1s.

Luckily, I have a screwdriver and a spare thumb ... somewhere !

Soduka,

Thank you, that sounds easy enough.

I was concerned the fuel line, being 16 years old, might be damaged during disconnection without using a special tool I've read about with Gen 1s.

Luckily, I have a screwdriver and a spare thumb ... somewhere !

The plastic clip is easy to take off. Just, you know, don't break them. You'll be pretty screwed if you do.

Mine came out easy, but if they don't want to budge a really easy thing to do is to do one side of the round housing at a time, and back it out slowly while a third hand I hope you have has pliers and pulls gently on the wishbone thing sticking out joining the two sides together.

I'm not a technical person, but you'll know what I mean when you see it.

You can break them all you want a box of 5 is like $2.

Not if you live in the middle of nowhere, miles from a part store, know no one, and you're doing this at night on your only form of transportation. And you didn't have the foresight to buy more first. Like me.

hell the ones i get at work have the clips in the box with the filter, and if not i have a drawer full :D

hell the ones i get at work have the clips in the box with the filter, and if not i have a drawer full :D

Both times I have bought Motorcraft filters and both times they gyp me on accessories. Just the filter, nothing else.

WTF the ford ones used to come with them, aint worked there in a few years now. i have at least 100 possibly double that

I think every fuel filter I've ever bought (many various brands) has come with at least one extra clip. I might have just been lucky though.

Just my 2 cents, but every fuel filter I've ever bought came with the little plastic clips. That's usually standard because it's almost inevitable that you're gonna break one of those if they're old and dry rotted. :)

Not if you live in the middle of nowhere, miles from a part store, know no one, and you're doing this at night on your only form of transportation. And you didn't have the foresight to buy more first. Like me.

Bet I live out in the sticks further than you.
I live so far out, we had to hire possums to deliver the mail!!!

Bet I live out in the sticks further than you.
I live so far out, we had to hire possums to deliver the mail!!!

ScottyLogger60,

I live so far out in the country, I'd have to drive 12 miles just to get to nowhere.

Aside from the short falls of being out in the sticks I find myself thinking of the property I passed on
In nowheres vill I think I would have liked it

Dead thread and all, but for anyone with a Gen 1 car, that fuel line disconnect tool is 100% required. HF will sell you one so pick it up along with the panel tool you'll need to pull out the fender liner clips.

The procedure is basically the same but without a disconnect tool that filter won't be coming off. Be careful with that clip! I ordered the OEM (Motorcraft) filter and there were no replacement clips included.

Again, just a PSA for Gen 1 owners who happen upon this thread

Members online

Back