Fuel adjustment

MarkVIIIS

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Ok first I know this is a mark viii section but I don't think my question would get answered in the Continental section. I have a 1998 continental 4.6 l just modified my intake with some spare mark viii parts I had lying around and now my car is running lean and stalls out every once in a while mostly when sitting at idle. Unfortunately I can't afford to buy a tuner right to fix this so my question is, is there any way to get the fuel mixture a little richer without any tuning? The only thing I could think of was buying an aftermarket fuel pressure regulator and bringing the fuel pressure up a little bit. Any info would be great thanks.

Here it is just cut out the flex part and used my c and l maf housing. I know it's sucking in hot air right now but I'm leaving it like this I'm gonna bring it to where the stock setup use to be

image-1255164200.jpg

Is it still the stock maf sensor?

Yes you can richen it up with a fpr.

Have you cleaned the maf sensor? If it's dirty it will run lean. Use a q tip and maf sensor cleaner only. Be extremely gentle with the q tip against the maf sensor wires. Be generous with the cleaner.

Have you disconnected the battery? Leave it disconnected for an hour to reset the computer. It will then relearn the running parameters with your new filter setup

To my understanding a fpr can't change how much fuel goes in the motor that's done by the computer.
Unless you need more fuel pressure to feed bigger injectors or to compensate for added accelerant like nitrous.
As stated before look at the maf.
May have a vacuum leak or bad o2 also.

This was not a problem before I modified the intake I had another continental a few years ago that did the same thing when I modified the intake

a couple things that i see. i am assuming all of your equipment is clean and functioning properly.

why the change to a C&L MAF? a MAF change should pretty much always accompanied with a tune, as you have changed the size and volume of the air now entering the engine. yes, you can try to correct this with a "balance tube", but it doesn't really work. that's just how the got by in the early 90s before tuning computers was an easy thing to do. i've got a C&L in my basement with a 24# injector balance tube, receipt says 1994 or so. old school tech.

upping the fuel pressure will just be countered by the computer shortening the injector pulse width, and possibly a CEL for adaptive limit reached if you go to far. the O2 sensors will react to this change, so there is no sense in trying.

also, having a cone filter so close to the mass air sensor can introduce turbulent air flow into the MAF sensor causing incorrect readings. ie, bad idle, and lean fuel mixtures.

in my opinion, your problems are probably being caused by your new intake, and i would revert to stock ASAP to prevent engine damage.

or, add some tubing between your maf and the new filter to stabilize the air flow, possibly add a heatshield, and have the car dyno tuned.

best of luck to you, whatever you do.

this is Lonnie from Blue Oval Chips take on the C&L MAFs. he is not a fan. i believe most/all of your problem lies there.

Lonnie said:
Those so called calibrated MAFs are aftermarket only and are old school tech when no one outside of Ford could crack the stock PCM programming. So what they did in the old days was to fool the PCM's calibration with squewing the return signal to the PCM, making it think less air was coming going through the MAF so that the PCM would back off on te injectors. Two ways they did this, with the C&L un**** the changed the size of the sampling air to fool the PCM. With the so called electronic calibration MAFs they installed resisters into the electronic side of the MAF. Both are not the proper way to do it and only fools the PCM. When you fool the PCM you also cause the calculations to be totally off. The MAF is used to calculate the engine load along with many other calculations. These control your spark and fuel tables also and so when the MAF is sending bogus signals to the PCM the PCM will look at the wrong tables to send the info to the correct components. I've been tuning since the late 80s and I have never ever run across a single so called calibrated MAF that was correct yet. I have many other tuner buddies and not any of them have found one either.

http://www.lincolnsofdistinction.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?38380-Calibrated-MAF

Thanks for the replies, as for the c and l maf I'm not a fan either which is why I went to a 90mm lightening maf on my mark, I only used it because it fit good the way I set it up. As u can see in the pic I already hacked the factory tube in half where the flexible area was located. I know that it's the intake alone that is causing the issue I've done this before with my old conti but with the factory maf housing and I had the exact same issues. I plan on tuning it eventually but was just looking for a temporary fix for now but it seems there's nothing I can do as far as changing the fuel mixture. So I'm going to cut a straight piece of aluminum tubing and add it in where the flexibly area used to be and then hook up the factory airbox and maf so I may at least gain a little power for smoothing out the intake tube.

I'll post a pic when I finally do it, just a pain because now I have to remount my sub woofer fuse housing somewhere else

Members online

No members online now.
Back