FRPP 4:10s and Traction Loc

02LSE96LSC91SE84TC

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Completed the 8.8 diff swap yesterday at ILLS. Long day with the custom fabricated pinion brace talking up alot of it. Everything fell into place as planned. I'm doing my best to break them in slow but after some break in by Robs and a slow ride home last night, I've slammed it down a few times today. First gear is gone quick, second too. I found myself very surprized how quick 60 comes, its very noticeable...VERY noticeable.

Thanks Rob for the help. Your welding and fabrication skills made it alot easier than it could have been. I owe ya.

Completed the 8.8 diff swap yesterday at ILLS. Long day with the custom fabricated pinion brace talking up alot of it. Everything fell into place as planned. I'm doing my best to break them in slow but after some break in by Robs and a slow ride home last night, I've slammed it down a few times today. First gear is gone quick, second too. I found myself very surprized how quick 60 comes, its very noticeable...VERY noticeable.

Thanks Rob for the help. Your welding and fabrication skills made it alot easier than it could have been. I owe ya.

It was a fun project for sure. I have done allot of custom vehicle projects before and no matter how well things are planned out there still are some minor glitches along the way. It is just the way custom jobs work. I cannot really think of anything that didn't go as planned yesterday.

I want to see that thing on the track with that new 8.8" LSD and the 4.10's in the rear. It looks like next spring GLD will be in store to see a few sleepers running at the track.

By the way, you can pay me back in beer one of these days. ;) I will not mention what quantity it will take though. :D

wtf, did you 2 plan to synchronize you big unveiling's together, good job to you both, how about some pics 02asdfghjkl;

Here's a few.

My original brace design that I drew up several months back ended up being pretty close to what did work well. I have to still tweak the exhaust a little to the right, it always hung to far left, this is a good reason to correct it as its real close to the brace on the right side.

The diff cover was a extra I picked up and scraping the undercoating off wasn't a priority. Notice the 8.0...sneaky hey.

I'm going to pull the brace over the winter so Weld Master Rob can close up the open ends and its getting powder coated for the finished look.

8.0-8.8pinion brace.jpg

8.8 diff swap.jpg

8.8 diff swap 2.jpg

8.8 diff swap 3.jpg

8.8 diff swap 4.jpg

8.8 diff swap 5.jpg

DSmod2.jpg

The vagueness is staggering here. Make with the pics and info...stat!

Its been discussed in other threads in pretty good detail before, sorry for the vagueness.

Basically in my quest to go where no man has gone before, gearing and LSDing the LS. I came to this as the easiest way.

Its a MarkVIII diff fitted with the stock Gen1 LS cover. Custom pinion brace for front mounting. And a modified driveshaft.

Fitting 8.8 guts into the stock LS case I believe to have pinion fitment issues. I started with this concept as it has been discussed as possible but never completed. Also with the unique pinion design of the LS and its driveshaft, if you took this approach you would still have to modify the driveshaft. I found myself laying under my MarkVIII and my LS several times and imediately found the cover pattern to match. This led to discovering the width is almost near identical. Front mounting was never a real concern because while a little different, I saw ways to make it work. Axle bearings and seals were found to be same part #s and eventually between ILLS and myself collecting a few extra diffs and axles we confirmed axle fitment to be tha same and confirmed cover fitment with out ever tearing down our cars. I had one built, got the shaft modified, collected the rest of the parts and bolt in day happened yesterday and I have all my stock for a swap back if i desire.

Oh yeah GEN1...GEN2 will require GEN1 axles at the least. I think thats all but not positive.

Impressive

You gents are goooood. Impressive showing on this and ILLS's turbo project. The efforts and the simultaneous unveilings are music to my midwestern ears.

I've been effectively stalking this forum for a while now and just picked up my '04 LSE a few months back. Pleased to see that both ILLS and 02LSE96(...and some change) are near by. I may learn a few things along the way at GLD.

Thanks for blazing these two trails!

What did you end up having to set the pinion angle at?

The old diff was measured for angle/position in the car before removel. The new one was fabbed to be in the same place. The length of the 8.8 unit is longer than the 8.0, but the flnge on the 8.8 is shorter. Not much difference at all really and the way the diff is mounted on the front up/down adjusting would be easy.

Can't wait to see a video. Next spring you two are gonna run each other...right?

What is the easiest way to get LSD of any kind into 1st Gen LS?
Maybe with same gear ratio or slightly taller.

What is the easiest way to get LSD of any kind into 1st Gen LS?
Maybe with same gear ratio or slightly taller.

I would look at it this way.

If you want a little more gear just get a 3.58 stock unit and swap it in. You won't have the LSD but these cars hardly need it. This will go right in without problem and done for cheap.

If you want a little more gear and LSD the possiblity to install a 8.8 LSD unit into the stock LS diff does look like a possibility but you will have to retain the LS ring and pinion. So then you will have at most a 3.58 with LSD. This will cost some more with the cost of the traction lock and labor to install. Or maybe the kind of LSD that doesn't require removing the ring and pinion. This is a possibilty that may work but never done. Just looking at the carrier insides it looks like a possibility.

If you want more gear swapping to the 8.8 center section as I did seems to be the only way. This costs a fair amount, I'm $1250 in without the cost to fab the front mounting brace.

If your desire is 3.73s I would say its a waste of time since its barely more gear than the 3.58s and for the extra money...not worth it.

Nice thing with the 8.8 unit is there is so much available gear wise 3.90, 4.10, 4.30, 4.56! All kinds of traction devices. And of coarse its stronger.

Mine is making a howling noise, for lack of better description, from the rear. The oil is there. It gets noticeable from 35MPH and louder the faster the car goes.
I might as well upgrade it so I am looking at options. I know that none of the shops will take LS seriously so I gotta do the research by myself and just tell them to do it.
I mean, even "car guys" think LS has air suspension and is FWD so...

If you want a little more gear and LSD the possiblity to install a 8.8 LSD unit into the stock LS diff does look like a possibility but you will have to retain the LS ring and pinion.

Jason I would refrain from saying this if I were you. No real measurements have been taken so at this point in time it is just theory. People take things too literally on forums and may read way too much into that comment and interpret it as "It is doable." which has not been confirmed yet.

Jason I would refrain from saying this if I were you. No real measurements have been taken so at this point in time it is just theory. People take things too literally on forums and may read way too much into that comment and interpret it as "It is doable." which has not been confirmed yet.

I said it was a "posibility" and "never done". If someone takes that as gold to find out and it don't work and blames me....they're the dummy.

If a person was capable of setting up there own ring and pinion they would only be out $200-$225 for the FRPP Traction Lock, could resell if didn't work. Actually a used one can be had for alot less tested and rebuilt if found to work.

Also Quik seems to have this set up started already. I PMed him on if he had a entire 8.8 guts in the stock LS diff or was it a 8.8 unit with the stock 8.0 ring and pinion fitted into the stock LS diff. He didn't know or want to tell me. Anyways if the bearing and main caps fit thats a good start but yes it hasn't been all figured out yet.

What do I care...I'm set already:D.

Members online

Back