Frozen Gas Line?

Matt Man

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I think the gas line on my 01 LS V8 may be frozen. I got a work truck and haven't driven the car much at all this winter, but I was trying to start it periodically. Tried to start it over a month ago after letting it sit for a month and it would just crank and not start. I then pushed the car into an area where it would get sun (it's black) and waited for some warmer days, like last week when it was 40+ degrees Thursday and 50 degrees Friday and the car still wouldn't start.

I got a few more gallons of gas and tossed in gas line anti-freeze.....still nothing.

I have my buddy turn the key on while I listen in the trunk and I *think* I hear the fuel pump turn on. The fuses and whatnot are all in the trunk too though, so do they click on and could I be confusing this for the pump?

After cranking for a bit, I pushed on the fuel line bleeder/pressure test valve and got no fuel at all. I then had my buddy crank it while I held the valve open and got nothing.

What do you guys think it could be? I replaced the fuel filter last year so it shouldn't be the issue, and besides I am getting NO pressure at all. Even using starting fluid the car wont start and stay running. Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks!

-Matt

the freezing point of gasoline is pretty darn cold..
could be frozen water though.
it is possible for the pump to lock up if it sits for awhile. pump in my grandmas grand marquis locked up with 38k miles, and it does alot of sitting.
i would look more at the pump and if its actually running or not.
verify power at the pump etc.

the freezing point of gasoline is pretty darn cold..
could be frozen water though.
it is possible for the pump to lock up if it sits for awhile. pump in my grandmas grand marquis locked up with 38k miles, and it does alot of sitting.
i would look more at the pump and if its actually running or not.
verify power at the pump etc.

You are right, technically I should have said some water must have frozen in my gas line lol. If the pump locks up do you think it will defrost and be good to go? I read a thread on here earlier where a guy replaced his pump and got the OEM one for $350, but lets hope I don't need that. I guess the back seat lifts off then you pull a rubber plug to expose the pump assembly, so I'll have to check it out. Does anyone know what wires I should check? Or should just pulling the seat and verifying if it is the pump whining be ok?

Let me also ask this, how bad of an idea is it to blow some air into the fuel pressure test valve? I would imagine if you do it, you should set your regulator on your tank to ~50 psi? I'm not looking to cause more problems, but wondering if it may help to free the pump and/or clean out the ice in the lines?

Thanks!

-Matt :drunk:

Probably not a good idea. The fuel pump(s) (I think the LS has two of them) have one way check valves in them. I wouldn't think those check valves would take 50PSI for too long.

Check under the seat. Try to hear the pumps running. If you can, be adventurous and disconnect the feed line (pump out) if you can access it and see if the pump is pumping fuel. Just remember, it will flow a lot. Use a catch can.

If the pump is flowing fuel at the feed line, then you have a freeze plug somewhere between the pump and the engine. If it's not... well, I'll let you guess what the answer to that is.

See, this is why I ask before I act lol. I also doubt the check valves are designed to hold 50 psi.

I won't be near the car for a few days because of work and my night classes, but I will check this out asap. I'm guessing I will need some fuel hose to slip onto the pump temporarily to pump the gas into a catch can, as opposed to letting my car interior catch it lol.

If I get the pump disconnected and it's pumping fuel (please please please) then I supposed I could try blowing some air backwards through the lines? With the pump disconnected this shouldn't hurt anything else right? Or do I risk damaging the jet pump module? The third post in this thread says the jet pump module is the one that contains the check valves:
http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/showthread.php?t=36833&highlight=gas+line+froze

Thanks again

The LS has a regular pump and a mechanical 'JET' pump.. Maybe try a little HEAT in the tank..

I've actually used 2 bottles of HEAT. One the day when it first wouldn't start, then another the day I put in 4 or so more gallons of gas.

After you confirm that you have fuel at the pump, I would connect the line and unhook it at the fuel filter and see if you have fuel flowing there.. Unlikely, but the filter could be clogged

If you can get to the feed line off the pump and can find yourself some methanol (heet will work as well, but it will take longer), pour it into the line, put the line back on the pump and let it sit for a while. The longer the better. If you don't need the car for 24 hours, then let it sit for that time.

Methanol is great at dissolving ice, even when mixed with other fluids. Just remember, it evaporates, so you need to cap the line. If you can cap the line and raise it higher than the pump, even better.

This is, of course, assuming that the in-tank fuel pump is good.

Ok sorry for the long delay here, the old lady's mom has been in the hospital and I have had too much school work to eff with the LS.

I popped the trunk and checked the fuse, fuse not the relay, for the fuel pump. It was blown, so I replaced it but I'm still not getting her to fire up. WTF? Even after cranking it over for a bit the new fuse is still fine. I checked the fuel pressure relief valve on the top of the motor and still have no pressure at all.

Now I want to check to see if the pump is getting power. I find it a crazy coincidence that the pump would go along with that fuse, but I have to see. Does anyone have the wiring schematic for the fuel pump on the car? I've got about an hour before I have to pick up the girlfriend from work and I have the rear set removed and multimeter in hand lol.

Thanks to anyone who can help!

-Matt

Nevermind I grounded the multimeter to the car then tested all 4 prongs in the wiring for the fuel pump. It has 12 volts but I get nothing from the pump so I guess its sh1t.

Ok so what pump do I replace it with? I read on here somewhere now to get an Autozone or Advance auto brand and only get the $350 OEM one. Is that really necessary? Thanks again

Thanks fastlls, since that is a Walbro I would feel pretty good about using it. I'm sure it comes with a decent warranty too.

So I should be ok just replacing this one and not the jet pump right? I'm going to try to pull the pump tomorrow morning and will test it on the bench to see if I can get it spinning. $150 is better than $350 but if I can get it to free up for now i'll run it again til it :q:q:q:qs out for good

Ok this may be a dumb question, but before I break something I want to ask on here: do I need a special tool to remove the plastics clips on the gas line so I can pull the pump? I haven't even tried messing with it yet because its cold here and the clips will already be brittle.

Also, has anyone else used the Walbro stock replacement pump that FASTLLS suggested? I know some of the nitrous guys have upgraded to bigger Walbro pumps.

Thanks again in advance!

-Matt

I believe they are a push in, pinch, and pull design..

I know people have used that pump and Pektel has the bigger one.. But the bigger one needs modification..

I forgot I have a project due tomorrow for my hydrology class so I haven't gotten to see if they are that style clip yet, but I hope you're right FASTLLS lol

I remember from the posts for the guy who built the supercharged LS (sorry his name is escaping me...quick?) that he had to modify his pickup for the high flow pump. I don't really need the high flow as I don't see myself using nitrous or forced induction any time soon lol. It costs too much to make cars quick compared to bikes! And she has 135k on the clock lol

I'm like 90% sure.. I just can't remember what the connector looks like.. But if it is what I am thinking it looks like, that's the correct way..

I bought my pump from www.fuel-pumps.net. The stock replacement pump is part #TCA919 for a gen 1 v8. I bought the 255lph pump. It's the same part # but with "hp" after it.

http://lookup.fuel-pumps.net/

Thanks for the link Pektel. They have the OEM one a little cheaper there too, depending on shipping cost.

Did you have to modify your pickup to get the HP pump to work? Like I said above, I will prob just go with the stock one anyway because I don't plan on a power adder. The most I see in my future is exhaust and a CAI. You info and input is appreciated though!

Thanks

-Matt

:Bang I guess that is why they made the search function lol. I should have assumed he had a thread about it.

Pektel, on a side note did the new crank sensor fix your no start? I'm getting zero fuel pressure and the pump is getting power but wont turn on, so i'm 99% sure its my pump lol

Ah, thanks FAST. You're on the ball today! I appreciate the help man.

-Matt

Nevermind I grounded the multimeter to the car then tested all 4 prongs in the wiring for the fuel pump. It has 12 volts but I get nothing from the pump so I guess its sh1t.

Ok so what pump do I replace it with? I read on here somewhere now to get an Autozone or Advance auto brand and only get the $350 OEM one. Is that really necessary? Thanks again

You can't test for fuel pump power that way.

The REM controls the ground to the fuel pump. It uses a PWM scheme to control the speed of the fuel pump to regulate the fuel pressure. Just having +12V at the fuel pump connector does not mean that the pump is getting power. It has to have ground at the connector too.

You best best to check for fuel pump power is to get a 12V light bulb (like a brake lamp or backup light) and wire it across the two fuel pump power terminals in the connector.

Members online

No members online now.
Back