Front Stabilizer Bar Upgrade (Permanent solution to noise/handling issues)

Mr.Howie

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Early Lincoln LS's had problems with front suspension noise and wear at the front Stabilizer bushings. Ford came out with an improved front stabilizer bar with compressed rubber bushings that will last the life of the car. It also slightly changes the front spring rate and body roll rate resulting in improved handling. This bar is a must for any 2000-2001 LS. There originally was a bar for Sport Pkg. and non Sport pkg. The bar shown is for Sport Package. If you have a 2002 look for this bar type, it's probably already on the car. If you have a 2003-2006 it is already factory installed. The end links shown in picture Ford links which are much cheaper than the Moog. links. The Moog links. Don't try this upgrade yourself! Leave this to a pro. The front cross-member has to be lowered and one control arm has to be removed. If not familiar with this repair procedure damage to the front fluid filled control arm bushings (with plastic spacers) or the A/C & P/S lines. The alignment settings will be lost, so an alignment is needed immediately after repairs. I have done dozens of these upgrades and it's not a bad job if done properly. Parts are reasonable and labor is reasonable. Make sure the alignment is right or this car will not drive properly. Have alignment settings for handling & driveabililty.

LS suspension 01.jpg

LS suspension 02.jpg

I'd probably recommend the Moog end links. They do seem to last longer and are serviceable. At least as far as shooting fresh grease in them.

When I needed the rears the Ford ones weren't any cheaper.

Those bushings on that sway bar definitely don't last the life of the car. I had to cut mine off last year and put new ones in. The olds were dry rotted - and this is a southern plains LS.

Another member had a new one of these stabilizer bars for sale a couple months ago in another thread for $100 shipped (if I remember correctly). TascaParts has it for $107. My 2002 Sport did not have this particular bar with the attached bushings/mounts. I went with the ES bushings, but have mentioned previously I was considering going to this whenever the ES bushings go out (as they are narrower and need lubed regularly).

I ended up buying that one for 90 shipped

The crossmember does not need to be lowered to do this

I ended up buying that one for 90 shipped

The crossmember does not need to be lowered to do this

For verification purposes, what has been your experiences with it? Is there truly a noticeable difference?

I had the ES bushings on mine for over a year, and they started getting loose, knocking again.

And the bar was sliding all over the place (narrower bushings do not reach the end stops that are part of the OEM bar.)

The guy shipped me the OEM sport sway bar, still in dealer packaging.
*I ended up paying him 90 shipped (shipping alone was over $35, and it arrived in 1 day from New York - so pretty good deal)*
I had to drop the bellypan and DS LCA and wrangle it out (A/C lines are in your way a bit on the V6).

Took about 2 1/2 hours, including drinking time, and greatly improved the ride... No more noises, and the car doesnt feel like its going to fall apart every time I pull in my driveway.

I have mixed feelings because my car feels so tight because of the replacement parts I had put in last year. But, if this is an upgrade and would help, I know where a donor 02 sport model with low miles is. Hmm....

Replacing the front base bar with the thicker, sport bar without also replacing the rear base bar could result in some goofy handling at the edge.

I have mixed feelings because my car feels so tight because of the replacement parts I had put in last year. But, if this is an upgrade and would help, I know where a donor 02 sport model with low miles is. Hmm....

02 doesnt have the upgraded sway bar bushings.

03+ only.

And with the amount of work required to pull the bar, your better off just ordering a new one.

My 02 LSE does have this upgraded stablizer bar, not sure if it came factory or not. I bought the car with 150k plus on the odometer.

I did however install this stabilizer bar on my 00 LS sport a few years back. I didnt need to drop the crossmember however it was a difficult job getting it I. And did neex an alignment when it was done.

I would also reccomend the moog links or atleast the deeza links with the grease fitting. I dont like the design of the oem links. The rod is thinner and they are not greaseable.

I agree the stabilizer bar upgrade is better than using the ES bushings, I believe the stabilizer bar is thicker than the origional but I could be wrong. I measured it when I switched them and IIRC it was thicker. Its been 4 or 5 years and the bushings are still good. Even if they get rotted they can be replaced with ES bushings and you still have the benefit of the thicker stabilizer bar.

I did put Moog sway bar links in when I freshened it up. Wish I would have known it then but I want it as right as I can make it as I plan on keeping this car until I don't see them on the road any longer. LOL.

Those bushings on that sway bar definitely don't last the life of the car. I had to cut mine off last year and put new ones in. The olds were dry rotted - and this is a southern plains LS.

There is not much room to cut them off. Did you use a cutting wheel to cut the brackets...too much work just buy a new bar.

The outside edges of the compressed rubber type bushings will eventually show dry-rotting or cracking, but the inside should still be good.

02 doesnt have the upgraded sway bar bushings.

03+ only.

And with the amount of work required to pull the bar, your better off just ordering a new one.

There are probably some late 2002 that may have the bar, I have seen one with it already. 2003 all have it.

My 02 LSE does have this upgraded stablizer bar, not sure if it came factory or not. I bought the car with 150k plus on the odometer.

I did however install this stabilizer bar on my 00 LS sport a few years back. I didnt need to drop the crossmember however it was a difficult job getting it I. And did neex an alignment when it was done.

I would also reccomend the moog links or atleast the deeza links with the grease fitting. I dont like the design of the oem links. The rod is thinner and they are not greaseable.

The Moog links are heavier adding to unsprung weight. Also check ball preload if higher or more friction car will not respond to bumps properly. I still recommend the factory ones. Remember I raced on a factory suspension with the bar upgrade. It works very well.

I agree the stabilizer bar upgrade is better than using the ES bushings, I believe the stabilizer bar is thicker than the origional but I could be wrong. I measured it when I switched them and IIRC it was thicker. Its been 4 or 5 years and the bushings are still good. Even if they get rotted they can be replaced with ES bushings and you still have the benefit of the thicker stabilizer bar.

All these bars are also hollow in design. Engineers found the load is carried only through the outside layer of a solid bar, so hollow ones were developed (they are lighter). After-market bars may not be hollow.

Yes it is very difficult and lines can get damaged unless you remove the lower control arm and lower the front cross-member (take bolts out on one side and loosen on the other side).

For verification purposes, what has been your experiences with it? Is there truly a noticeable difference?

If you lower the front crossmember (take the bolts out on one side and loosen on the other side) you can get an air ratchet in there and the bar comes out in 15 minutes. Remember you are talking to a dealer mechanic of 34 years 9 with Ford on Lincolns. I was the "go to" guy at the Lincoln dealer. I teach now. If you don't go by the repair procedure that I gave you. Anything else is just way to much work and possible damage to other parts.

I have a small power steering pump leak that needs addressed(replacing pump) next week. I am going to go ahead and have this done as well.

Is this a thread NOT to do something?!?!?

It info for a suspension upgrade. I plan to have MrHowie do this to my LS in the future. He has lots of knowledge on the suspension improvements for our cars. Raced a LS SCCA auto cross. Pretty sure he knows what he is talking about.:)

Sounds like Mr. Howie has some good info for us.

Im very curious about suspension upgrades, The stabilizer bar in your pic is an upgrade but the links look just like the links that came from the factory. It would seem that the Moog or Deeza links would perform better because they are thicker and greaseable. What are your thoughts/experiences on this?

And what are your thoughts on other suspension components? Ball joints, rear adjustment links, etc other than just replacing the worn out factory parts with the same OEM parts?

Members online

Back