Front passenger side window bounce

jruppert

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I have been reading up on this bounce situation and what I have found is that there is a reinitialize procedure. I found a page somewhere online, but have lost the link, suggesting that power is to be removed from the motor as the window is lowering if the initialization procedure is not successful. I run the window down and as the window is lowering, I cut power to the motor. I plug motor back in and finish lowering the window. Then I raise the window and it goes all the way to the top. NO issues!! However, when I go to lower the window back down and raise it, the window bounces back. So I dont know.. I do not see anything binding on regulator. I will say this though.. When I bought the car in March, there was a small portion of weather stripping that was folded over near the B pillar of the door. I straightened this out thinking it would fix the window. This was a couple months ago.

Any thoughts?

Do I understand this correctly?
You've had this problem from the first day you had the car. You haven't replaced the window regulator.

Is it possible that someone replaced the regulator before you purchased the car and caused this problem? If so, you may need to re-index the smart motor to the regulator.

As previously stated, I tried reinitializing the window motor. This did not work. What I did do is pull everything out to inspect. I also pulled the glass and lock actuator. Lock did not work previously. I found that when the motor was in the up position, the regulator appeared to bind (twist). While in up position, I removed the motor. It had a lot of tension. Once I removed it, I saw the regulator relax. At that point I think I found my problem. I ran the motor back and forth and played around with it. I also inspected the actuator but could not find much that I could do with it. I did give it a good wack though. I put everything back together without the door panel. Guess what?? The window went up and down perfectly. I noticed the lock worked a couple times but then stuck again. So I gave it another wack. Now my lock works. I ran out of time and started to get dark so I left it. I have no real suggestion or wisdom to offer from my inspection. Only thing that I noticed was that when the window is down, the rear section of window sits slightly above the belt trim. Looks like I may need to adjust something tomorrow...

As previously stated, I tried reinitializing the window motor...

Yes, and that's why I said you might have to re-index the motor. Re-initializing and re-indexing are not the same thing at all.

Initialize:
Run the window all the way down. Press and hold the up button. Do not release the up button until several seconds after the window has stopped in the full up position.

Index:
Separate the motor from the regulator, with the glass in the full up position (or as close as possible to it). Press the auto up button and wait for the motor to stop running. Now reattach the motor to the regulator.

Which of these did you do?

Sorry, I wasn't more specific. I meant to say that I initialized it first. Tonight I took everything apart and (to my knowledge) indexed the motor. I am hoping that I did it correctly. It works now though.. Also noticed the grey insulation cover missing off of the inner door panel. So I am assuming someone was in there doing work on it. Possibly replaced the regulator??

Also noticed the grey insulation cover missing off of the inner door panel. So I am assuming someone was in there doing work on it. Possibly replaced the regulator??

sounds exactly right... it needs to come off to replace the regulator.

Is it possible that someone replaced the regulator before you purchased the car and caused this problem? If so, you may need to re-index the smart motor to the regulator.

Because it was re-installed incorrectly?

someone that did not put the motor in correctly (and not fixing it right away when it didn't work right) would be the kind of guy to leave that off.

The grey insulation was literally torn off the door panel. Only reason why I knew it should be there is because I saw a 1.5" x 2" piece hanging in the upper corner of the door. Kinda irritates me that they would tear it off but not replace it. I will need to make some adjustments to the window though since it sits slightly higher than it should when it is down.

It could be worse...
I think that nothing really bad happens when that vapor barrier is left off of the LS. On the other hand... When we bought a used BMW 325i for our daughter, we discovered four things right after the first rain.
1. Someone had replaced the front passenger window regulator.
2. They just cut out the vapor barrier and didn't replace it. (It would have been possible to remove it and then calk it back in.)
3. The interior of the car will fill with water when it rains if that barrier isn't there.
4. They also lost one of the screws that holds the airbag in the door, and left the other two loose.

I'm just glad that I was able to fix it without having to spend any money.. Thanks!!

Index:
Separate the motor from the regulator, with the glass in the full up position (or as close as possible to it). Press the auto up button and wait for the motor to stop running. Now reattach the motor to the regulator.

Yup. My ex's dad was doing me a favor and replaced my regulator. I've yet to take it all back apart, reset the window in the regular, and re-index the motor. Sometimes it sucks being lazy :)

4. They also lost one of the screws that holds the airbag in the door, and left the other two loose.

wow, just wow...

apparently that is what happens when a person just doesn't have any more fukcs to give.

I guess its a good thing you took it apart and found that!

I couldn't imagine working on any car and leaving something like that loose, whether its my own car or somebody elses... an airbag going off is a violent action. it really is a precision explosion. one of the three bolts missing is a third of the holding power it had and I'm sure the other two loose bolts might not be able to hold up to a discharge.

I'm sure part of the reason you chose that car for your child is because of how safe of a car it is (or at least as it should be...) One of the biggest things I hate having to do is deal with is removing or maneuvering airbags out of the way to do things you really should have to move an airbag for!!! You bet I will triple check every connector, bracket and bolt before putting everything back together.

on a side note, I can't imagine how unsafe a car has to be before adding an airbag between your legs actually helps you PREVENT injuries...

Yes, we picked it for a combination of being a slightly smaller size for her and for it being reasonably safe, including having stability control. (Also because it was right wheel drive.)
I would have been concerned that one of the loose bolts may have been blown through someone if the bag went off.
The airbag is mounted up high on the door, not down low. It serves the same purpose as the airbag in the seat of the LS. It also has side curtain airbags in the roof.

I put the window down tonight and it went right back to doing the same thing. So I have no idea at this point.. I guess take everything apart. Maybe it needs a new regulator.

Members online

Back