For those looking to do bumper cutouts...

pektel

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
A few people have asked how to do the exhaust tip cutouts by pm'ing me, so I figured I'd share with everyone what came from the last round. I took a picture of the tips how they come through right now. I added some arrows and descriptions on how to do it like I did. I also included a picture of how to mask off the area, since I could never explain it properly. The part I masked off in the picture is just in the center of my rear bumper, but it should give an idea of how to mask.

Quick list of steps:

note: I performed all the cutting while the car was on the lift at the exhaust shop. It really helps to do it at the same time as the muffler/tip installation, so they can dry fit, and if need be you can adjust the fitting.

1. mask off the area you are going to cut. leave tape on both sides. This will help so you don't chip the paint.

2. Trace on the tape where you will be cutting. I started from the outside where the existing small cutout is in the lower valance. I followed that straight up to the top of the valance. Then used a stencil (I used a spare piece of 4 to 5" pipe laying on the floor of the shop) to trace the hemisphere on the bumper. Your process for this part may vary depending on tips selected. Then come straight down the black valance on the other side.

3. Using a cutting wheel on a dremel, cut both sides of the lower valance. Using a jigsaw, cut the curved area on the bumper. The area where the bumper and valance come together is a little thicker, so go slower to make sure you get through the whole thing.

4. Using a sanding drum on a dremel, clean up any rough spots.

5. Test fit the tips. Make any necessary adjustments.

Here's the pics (afters only):

tape.jpg

cutout.jpg

Thank you for this detailed image ;) Im more of a "picture-book" kind of guy.

Are you still running stock mufflers?

This should be done to mine sometime this year, hopefully by the summer

Get some black tips like alax

Thank you for this detailed image ;) Im more of a "picture-book" kind of guy.

Are you still running stock mufflers?

I installed (well, the shop installed) Magnaflows at the same time as the tips. Also did 2.25" pipe up to the resonators.

How much space should be left between the tip and the plastic? Could it melt it?

I have around 3/8" to 1/2" clearance around mine. I wasn't worried about heat, but rather since the exhaust is suspended, it does move. It sounds rather tacky when you are driving into a parking lot and your exhaust tips start banging the sides of the bumper.

Modify with different hangers so they dont move so much. BTW my tips have maybe 1/4 inch clearance to bumper, no melting here.

I have around 3/8" to 1/2" clearance around mine. I wasn't worried about heat, but rather since the exhaust is suspended, it does move. It sounds rather tacky when you are driving into a parking lot and your exhaust tips start banging the sides of the bumper.

Good point, Nick. I hadn't explored that option at all. Just thought hangers were hangers.

How much space should be left between the tip and the plastic? Could it melt it?

It depends if you have double wall tips or not... NickT88LSC and I do have double wall. I also have 1/4" clearance with no problems with melting. I used solid bar mounting. Also make sure the tips clear/go beyond the bumper so the heat goes out and not up inside, or else it will melt.

Do you think muffler shops will do this for me? Because I don't trust myself enough to cut into the bumper.

Members online

Back