fl2008 vs fl2021

00ls-sport

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
anyone know why the 2008's were replaced with the 2021's? i can get a bunch of 2008's at 50% off, but i don't want to hurt my $4000 engine. i can get some 2021's at 50% off too, but not as many.

I used 2008 until it went to 2021. Did you get another LS motor? I do not think it could hurt since they were used on the engine before.

Y Motorcraft? Cause that was how the engine was born I guess, its what ford prefers, nothing wrong w/ using a different one unless its known as complete crap. I use motorcraft oil and filter just cause, thought about going w/ something like M1 or Castrol but the MC works fine and my oil comes out clean everytime(41K miles).

00_slow_5spd_ls said:
just get a mobil 1 filter for it. i use it in my v6 and my oil stays clean all the time, however i do change every 1500-2000 miles

damn man with m1 u realy dont need to change it until like 5K miles unless the oil is dirty... ur spending way too much money on this car i think... that would mean that every 2 months i would have to give 70 bucks for oil change dammmm :shifty:

I do not trust that whole 5000, 1500 mile thing. I guess if you drive very carefully and never go WOT than you well be ok but I prefer to just change it every 3 months, never got 3000 miles in that period of time(if I do, its a rare occasion). Even if it was proven and guaranteed and written in stone I would not go that long w/out changing my oil. It costs me around $25 for the filter and oil, not sure why you would pay over $30 unless you are using nasa grade stuff(sarcasm).

2002_LS_V8 said:
damn man with m1 u realy dont need to change it until like 5K miles unless the oil is dirty... ur spending way too much money on this car i think... that would mean that every 2 months i would have to give 70 bucks for oil change dammmm :shifty:

five finger discount from work.

i got 6 quarts of mobil 1 5-30
24 quarts of castrol 5-30
and 6 quarts of mobil 1 10-30

i also have 12 mobil 1 filters

:):):)

2002_LS_V8 said:

I put a couple thousand miles on my car every month. So ever 3 months I am looking at $150 for oil. Gas is a bigger problem though.

If you're using Mobil 1 oil and changing your oil under 3000 miles then there's no need for a Mobil 1 filter. My friend's sister is a chemical engineer for Mobil and she told me just get whatever is on sale if I'm doing oil changes every 3000 since no point in spending the extra cash when all the benefits happen after 3k.

The difference between the 2008s and the 2021s is, AFAIK, the length of the filter. In 2003, Lincoln added an oil cooler (at least to the 3.9L), which connects to a can-type fitting on the oil filter mount. This fitting reduces the amount of space between the oil filter mount and some other obstruction, so the FL-2008 was replaced with the shorter FL-2021.

You can use an FL-2021 on any year LS V8, which indicates that the mating surface and fitting are the same. Apparently, though, the FL-2008 is too long to fit on the '03-'06 V8s.

Members online

Back