Finished product! Headlights no longer ugly! ;)

diskfunktional

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Well took me about 2hrs total to get this done. Including cutting open the passenger side headlight.

Onto the pictures!

IMG_20110528_141313.jpg

IMG_20110528_124055.jpg

IMG_20110528_141331.jpg

IMG_20110528_141340.jpg

Will do! Quick reference guide for the recipe? I remember 250* for 9 minutes or something

The passenger looks kind of black to me. When I baked mine I propped them up a little with a cube of aluminum foil just to keep them off the bare metal (wasn't sure if they could melt on the steel). 250 for 9 min should be good.

I figured pizza pan or baking sheet with tin foil would do the trick. I'll report back with hopefully good news haha I'm a little nervous

I just split open my headlights and took out the orange marker. Looks ten times better. I put them in the oven @ 215° for 15 mins. Pulled apart pretty easy.

To OP: the passenger light looks kinds black. I had a black sealant headlight and had to buy a grey sealant one from a member here. Thanks Jolin01

I know I told him I needed the drivers side but I actually need the passenger side if it is indeed black. I'll start with the passenger side (black-ish) first and hopefully it pops open. All I'm looking to do is remove the amber lens and clean the inside of the housing.

I know I told him I needed the drivers side but I actually need the passenger side if it is indeed black. I'll start with the passenger side (black-ish) first and hopefully it pops open. All I'm looking to do is remove the amber lens and clean the inside of the housing.

That is exactly what I just did. If it doesn't pull apart fairly easy then it is the black sealant. Good luck and that sucks you needed the passenger one instead of the driver's side.

I know man I was a little bummed out about that. Its 10:30pm and I think I'm going to go pull my headlight right now and bake it. I can't wait til tomorrow to find out if I have to start searching for a cheap replacement.

I know man I was a little bummed out about that. Its 10:30pm and I think I'm going to go pull my headlight right now and bake it. I can't wait til tomorrow to find out if I have to start searching for a cheap replacement.

It is a fairly quick mod to do. You could start on the passenger light tonight.

Lame. Passenger side has black sealant. Heats up real good and the black plastic separates from the lens but the lens absolutely will not budge. Should I try baking it longer or where should I begin to cut?

I would heat it up a few more minutes. Then start cutting along the bottom working your way up along the thin side (closest to the lower triangle that is formed near the grill) then up and around If it is already starting to separate you are off to a good start

So the little lip where the lens actually slips into and gets sealed. Should I cut about halfway all the way across that. Its hard to explain with out pointing it out. But basically I'm not sure exactly where to cut so that they can be put back together.

If you look at the light you will see the clear lens sits into the black part of the headlight, that is where you want to cut. It looks like a channel that you can get the blade of the utility knife into. Let me see if I can snap a pic of my light for you. Hold on a second

I'll be in the yard doing yard work. If you have any questions call my cell phone. The number will be in your pm in-box

Thanks again for the immediate responses and help man! I successfully got them cut open and re-sealed. I used a utility knife to get my black sealant sealed headlight apart, it was a pain but it worked. Its amazing at how easy it is to get the grey sealant headlights apart!

I'm going to be doing some custom work to my amber lenses I'll report back if that goes successfully or fails miserably haha. Pics will be up soon

This weirded me out when you changed the title.

Looks a ton better! Really improves the front end of these cars.

Lol yeah didn't really want to start a new thread so I just changed the title.

And thank you Andrizzle! It really really improves the out-dated look of these headlights. Hell just opening them up and cleaning the lenses/bezel made them look newer. Now I'm just awaiting the new bulbs and hopefully I sealed them good.

But its my job to make sure things are water-tight, so I'd say its safe to assume I did a good job.

Nice! Makes that bumper look a lot better lol

But no, really, great job

Thanks man. I'm waiting on my vinyl shop to have my vinyl ready so I can color match my lower grille to the Gen1 LSE grille color. Should be pretty badass, Its been 4 tries now trying to get the color perfect.

Like I said in the pic thread, never should have had those ugly a$$ amber lenses to begin with. Looks so much better

Members online

Back