Finally at the paint shop!

LeaSr77

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Just came home from dropping the car off to get painted. It's been a long time coming but it was worth the wait. Didn't post this but I was in a bender fender last week up in DC. A guy was backing up trying to get in the right lane and caught me on the driver side quarter panel. Got his insurance covering that and I'm paying extra to the shop to paint the whole car. I'll keep you guys up to date on the process because he likes to take pictures and post them on facebook. Man I'm excited!:D

Sucks about the damage but perfect timing to get it into the paint shop! Plus it's going to be cheaper on your end. Hope it comes out good for you!

Drizz, going back black. Can't beat a black LS. He just sent me a message asking if I want a jet black or the factory black with a pearl in it. Now trying to decide what will look best.

If i was getting a full paint job, I would def go something non OEM.

Can't pass up the opportunity to have an even more unique LS.

I'd def stay with factory black with pearl in it. Looks great, and no one will know it's been resprayed. Folks will think "man, that car looks GREAT for it's age. Wonder how the owner kept the paint looking brand new after all these years??"

:)

Just came home from dropping the car off to get painted. It's been a long time coming but it was worth the wait. Didn't post this but I was in a bender fender last week up in DC. A guy was backing up trying to get in the right lane and caught me on the driver side quarter panel. Got his insurance covering that and I'm paying extra to the shop to paint the whole car. I'll keep you guys up to date on the process because he likes to take pictures and post them on facebook. Man I'm excited!:D

Lea, it's been long time coming. I am glad to hear she is getting painted!

Oh and the color - stay OEM, or Tuxedo Black. Navi's come with it.

Ls's do look the best in one color, or a pearl where the colors melt into each other as you look around the car, i recall a while ago someone was lookin into a chevy OEM pearl from a 06 blazer??? or something of the sorts, i remember they posted a few pics of the SUV (a blue/green mix) and i think that looks reallly good too...
Ive wanted to do a black/ darkgreen pearl job, with perhaps a little tastefull tribal art in a metallic silver that fades in an out with the green/black base. some on the corners of the bumper and mby a linc star right on the hood and a little something to dress up the rear bumper...
Just what ive been wanting myself.
somthing kinda like what im linking...but modded a bit to fit the ls's luxury/sporty sleekness...i dont wanna ruin that about my car...but i want it to look unique if im taking the time and money to have it repainted..

OUtta curiosity...how much is the paint job gonna cost?? (including what the insurace is paying)
does anyone have a good guess at how much it would cost to have a job like i described done??
I want it done right. with door jams and all other crappy to paint areas done ect .... wish i lived in cali where custom shops are all over and the prices are competitive. UP here in MN its a little harder to find and i wanna go to someone who isnt gonna screw me outta alot of money or do a bass-ackward job just to get it done.

Untitled.jpg

Place I went to down the road here wanted around $5K to repaint my LS. Since I was having $2K worth of body work done to repair a fender bender, they knocked it down to $3800. Probably somewhat high, but they would be removing all the tail lights and moulding and mirrors and etc etc. In other words, doing it right.

It was also a little more expensive since I have the metallic silver color (whatever ford called it). If you don't spray everything together you can end up with variances in color compared to non-metallic. This is what makes me nervous about them blending in the new fender. Might have to bitch excessively and see about a steeper discount to shoot the whole car if it doesn't match.

Place I went to down the road here wanted around $5K to repaint my LS. Since I was having $2K worth of body work done to repair a fender bender, they knocked it down to $3800. Probably somewhat high, but they would be removing all the tail lights and moulding and mirrors and etc etc. In other words, doing it right.

It was also a little more expensive since I have the metallic silver color (whatever ford called it). If you don't spray everything together you can end up with variances in color compared to non-metallic. This is what makes me nervous about them blending in the new fender. Might have to bitch excessively and see about a steeper discount to shoot the whole car if it doesn't match.

if the rest of the cars paint is in good condition, IMO, you are wasting a lot of money. If it were me I'd get that entire side done. (Fender, doors, quarter panel) To make sure the car matched from the side. From the front it would still all match...from the back it would still all match. From the other side, obviously it would still all match.

Just a thought

The paint is in good condition, although in need of a good waxing from 4K-miles of bugs and rain and dust. If it doesn't match then that's where the excessive bitching comes into play. I already told the guy I wasn't too thrilled about the blending part, and that I didn't want to be able to tell when he was done. He assured me it would look like it never happened. All I can do now is hurry up and wait. He said they will be blending down the drivers door. Hopefully they know what they are talking about.

To his credit though, he agreed to pop that damn POS front license plate bracket off the front bumper and fill the holes in when they refinish it. So I'll give him a +1 for that part. I always knew there was an easy way to get that removed and my drivers side headlight replaced. LOL :) That reminds me, I need to call him and tell him to throw that thing in the trunk in case I move/sell the car out of state.

if the rest of the cars paint is in good condition, IMO, you are wasting a lot of money. If it were me I'd get that entire side done. (Fender, doors, quarter panel) To make sure the car matched from the side. From the front it would still all match...from the back it would still all match. From the other side, obviously it would still all match.

Just a thought

Ls's do look the best in one color, or a pearl where the colors melt into each other as you look around the car, i recall a while ago someone was lookin into a chevy OEM pearl from a 06 blazer??? or something of the sorts, i remember they posted a few pics of the SUV (a blue/green mix) and i think that looks reallly good too...
Ive wanted to do a black/ darkgreen pearl job, with perhaps a little tastefull tribal art in a metallic silver that fades in an out with the green/black base. some on the corners of the bumper and mby a linc star right on the hood and a little something to dress up the rear bumper...
Just what ive been wanting myself.
somthing kinda like what im linking...but modded a bit to fit the ls's luxury/sporty sleekness...i dont wanna ruin that about my car...but i want it to look unique if im taking the time and money to have it repainted..

OUtta curiosity...how much is the paint job gonna cost?? (including what the insurace is paying)
does anyone have a good guess at how much it would cost to have a job like i described done??
I want it done right. with door jams and all other crappy to paint areas done ect .... wish i lived in cali where custom shops are all over and the prices are competitive. UP here in MN its a little harder to find and i wanna go to someone who isnt gonna screw me outta alot of money or do a bass-ackward job just to get it done.

The paint job is running $3500 with the insurance paying $1400 for the damages that was caused in the accident. Now this is a full paint job and everything is coming off the car to include bumpers, lights, door handles, molding etc. The factory side skirts are getting painted,I bought new door pillars that will be painted and cleared, LSE rear valence getting painted and a new rear surround that's also getting painted to match. Everything is being pulled off the car because that's what I requested. My suggestion is look at some of the shop's work and see what kind of work they do before you commit to them.

Some of the shops down here will let you prep the car yourself if you want. Which is basically just disassembling everything so they only have to do body work, paint, and finish. You are then on your own to reassemble. Doing it that way you could probably get an LS "painted" for a grand or two. But then you have to transport it, without damaging anything, and spend the time working on it.

It really is a lot of work.

That's exactly what I was thinking. That tuxedo black is on almost all the new Lincolns and a lot of the fords. That color has so much depth and when the lights hit it. it's awesome.

That's exactly what I was thinking. That tuxedo black is on almost all the new Lincolns and a lot of the fords. That color has so much depth and when the lights hit it. it's awesome.

I like looking at a black car, but man, I wouldn't want one. Too damn hot down here for that color. Even in my '95 SHO, which was forrest green, you would burn your hand if you touched it while it was basking in the sun.

A dark gunmetal grey would be sick. Also even a laguna seca blue like on the e46. That color with Gloss black accents would be amazing.

A dark gunmetal grey would be sick. Also even a laguna seca blue like on the e46. That color with Gloss black accents would be amazing.

+1 on the gunmetal gray. This is the color I would paint the LS, and I've said it many times before:

aston_martin_dbs_222.jpg

Silver_Aston_Martin_DBS_rr.jpg

Just talked to the shop today. Had to get a new bumper because mine had a wave in it. He had already ordered the paint but he told me he could spray a half of pint of the tuxedo black over the factory oem. He said it would only cost me about a hundred bucks to guy the paint so I said go for it.

Update

I went and picked up the paint for the car today. I got the tuxedo black off the 2011 Lincoln Navigators. The painter said he should have her sprayed tonight but it depends on how much prepping they have to do on the used bumper that I picked up and took to them today. We'll see and I'll keep you guys posted.

your lse bumper was jacked up? You got another lse bumper?

Members online

Back