FEAD noise_squeaky wheel/pulley

dnsherrill

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Front Engine Accessory Drive
-----
on the white car...the best description I can think of is it sounds like a tambourine, the squeak is variable and its frequency is directly proportional to RPM's, the volume varies, but it rarely goes away completely;
----
the ALT is a high quality rebuilt unit (DB Electrical) about 24 months old and has @ 10k miles on it; the A/C-DEF works even though the compressor leaks oil, turn the DEF on and i see the clutch spin/stop/spin/stop but that does not affect the squeaky wheel; the PS pump appears to leak where the HP line goes in, but whenever I check the fluid, it's at a normal level...both belt tensioner pulleys have been replaced
-----
how do I pinpoint the culprit without replacing parts needlessly?

We use a stethoscope at work, but noise can still travel through brackets and fool you on what the culprit is. Before replacing anything, take a small amount of dielectric grease, and put it on the inside of the belt. If your squeak is gone it's the belt. My money is on the belt squeaking, as it is very common on these cars.

I tried a stethoscope, couldn't get a good contact on the AC or PS...good idea on the dielectric; someone told me that belt will make noise if it's going the wrong direction :shifty:. I'm skeptical on that one
-----
forgot to mention, the water pump is original, 125k miles

Have you removed the belt completely and ran the car for a few seconds to make sure it's something to do with the pulley/belt system?

1997 Lincoln Continental has check engine light on I change the PCV valve any information

it was the belt, not very old but (in a few spots) the negative space between the ribs had gone away, thus the squeak/squeal

Members online

No members online now.
Back