Factory Navigation units..watch movies?

King03LS8

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Has anyone successfully been able to convert their factory Navigation units to play movies? What I would like to do is be able to plug in my iPhone or iPod or even BlackBerry to my AUX and play the movies I have stored on the devices. Is that even possible? I've thought about taking it to a professional shop and inquiring but I'm sure someone on here has tried or has done it? There has to be a way...I don't even use my Navigation at all since I have GPS on my phone so the Nav unit is basically worthless and who wants to buy the DVD map discs every year?? Any help/info. appreciated!

Only thing I have found is this....buts its only DVD movies so thats not really what I want!
http://cgi.ebay.com/Lincoln-LS-Navigation-Video-Converter-WATCHDVD-MOVIES_W0QQitemZ220178010265QQihZ012QQcategoryZ48605QQcmdZViewItem

Anyone with Nav. on here anymore??

Yes, but I have no interest in watching movies in my car. I find driving to be entertaining enough.
I have a living room and a big screen TV to watch movies on.

The stock nav screen is low-res, so I doubt it would look very good.

I am curious about this desire to play movies on the front screen while driving. Do you not get enough TV in your life?

Seems to be a big fav in some cultures now days. Bling factor...Ghey factor in my book, But hey, to each his own.

Yes, but I have no interest in watching movies in my car. I find driving to be entertaining enough.
I have a living room and a big screen TV to watch movies on.

The stock nav screen is low-res, so I doubt it would look very good.

I am curious about this desire to play movies on the front screen while driving. Do you not get enough TV in your life?

I think it would be great to watch while sitting in traffic. Also, it could entertain passengers on longer trips. I'm not talking just movies, I could upload anything to my phone and watch it on the screen. You sir, need to kick your can, multimedia ANYWHERE and EVERYWHERE is the new wave of the future. You may be too old to understand that, I don't know but I do know that soon all cars will have full entertainment capabilities, hell some cars now are coming with WiFi and imagine the possibilities as that technology advances. Wake up man.... That being said, I would expect a better answer from you, if you don't have anything positive to add to the thread why post at all? It makes no sense. Some of us demand more from our cars and if you'd rather sit on your rocker and watch your big screen well thats cool too. BTW, I have big screens in my house as well as do many others on this forum. Just be a little more open-minded, thats all. I'm not a bling type of person either, I just think it would be nice to use my Nav screen to play multimedia since its not being used anyway, a lot of cars come with factory with TV screens and TV service, whats the big deal?

I have an aftermarket headunit that plays DVD's, its not a bling factor for me, I drive between DC and San Antonio alot, and i stay in my car while driving instead of getting a room. A friend of mine had a Magnum SRT-8 he has the adapter that allows his navi screen to play DVD's it show pretty well IMO. I am trying to call him and see if he will send me a pic of it playing a movie.

You may be too old to understand that, I don't know...
Yes, my age probably does have something to do with my opinion. If you are lucky, you will get there too.

if you don't have anything positive to add to the thread why post at all? It makes no sense.
I responded to the comment that there was no one here with navigation. I also added the info that the factory screen is low resolution and therefore unsuited for video. I thought that might be helpful.

a lot of cars come with factory with TV screens and TV service, whats the big deal?

Please name one [factory] that has a front video screen that plays video while the car is in gear.

If the reply that you get on a public forum might upset you, you might want to rethink posting in the first place. You have your opinion, and I have mine. I really don't understand the need for video in a car, and I really am/was trying to understand it. It would probably be a good thing if I could, since I am one of the guys that designs this high-tech stuff (though I am no longer in the automotive market.)

Here you go, I found this on another thread
http://www.tvandnav2go.com/ford-navigation-system.html
I don't know if anyone here has actually tried it though.

Also I seem to recall someone putting in a backup camera with the stock nav, but I can't find that now. But if they can do that I imagine they had a generic video interface you could plug anything in to.

Yes, my age probably does have something to do with my opinion. If you are lucky, you will get there too.

I responded to the comment that there was no one here with navigation. I also added the info that the factory screen is low resolution and therefore unsuited for video. I thought that might be helpful.

Please name one [factory] that has a front video screen that plays video while the car is in gear.

If the reply that you get on a public forum might upset you, you might want to rethink posting in the first place. You have your opinion, and I have mine. I really don't understand the need for video in a car, and I really am/was trying to understand it. It would probably be a good thing if I could, since I am one of the guys that designs this high-tech stuff (though I am no longer in the automotive market.)

As a "designer" for high tech stuff I would have expected to get better feedback from you but again, I guess you are now trying to understand it instead from having "no interest". Understandable I suppose. I'm not aware of any factory front video screen that plays video but thats not to say that motor companies aren't exploring the idea or developing it, I've seen Ford talk about it so its coming maybe not anytime soon but surely when I reach my 40's or even 50's when cars are smarter and safer. Anyway, like stated above to each his own.

And thanks, owlman....fellow Austinite.

There are most definately ways to crack the unit and/or get video into the unit.... you just have to KNOW HOW. real helpful huh. ;) You should search car audio/video forums to get the best advise. Then post your how to here.

I would like to have a navigation/DVD unit (thinking pioneer AVIC900bt) and pretty sure you can crack that to play movies while in gear but that's not what I want it for. I have a lot of DVD 5.1 Audio discs that sound amazing. That's what I am into...quality of sound.

There are most definately ways to crack the unit and/or get video into the unit.... you just have to KNOW HOW. real helpful huh. ;) You should search car audio/video forums to get the best advise. Then post your how to here.

I would like to have a navigation/DVD unit (thinking pioneer AVIC900bt) and pretty sure you can crack that to play movies while in gear but that's not what I want it for. I have a lot of DVD 5.1 Audio discs that sound amazing. That's what I am into...quality of sound.

I have the 70bt in my aviator, it is a wonderful system, the bluetooth works amazing, i also have the kenwood dnx 5120 in my LS it doesnt have bluetooth standard but it is easy to use, and it starts up quicker than the pioneer

I believe it is against the law to have video visible to the driver in all states.

The thought of having a movie visible to the drive and watching a movie in traffic is a scary thought since most people can't drive talk on a phone. IMHO

I have my Kenwood Excelon DDX 7015 wired to play while in drive. I don't watch it though. It normally has cartoon dvd's in for my 2 year old, whose car seat is in the middle position in the back seat. He's in the safest spot he could be in, and he stays entertained watching elmo, kung fu panda, etc. I've thought about the head rest monitors, but I don't want to give someone a reason to break into the car.

I do agree with Joegr and if King03LS8 wants to watch movies he should buy a new Dodge Caravan with the entertainment option it also comes with headphones so there you go, or maybe buy a better sound system for his LS.
I have some Bugs Bunny DVD movies that my kids could lend him if he decides to buy a Caravan with the DVD option, mind you the screens are in the rear seats so he has to switch seats. Hope he makes it to 50. LOL

there will never be a factory car that will play video in the front if the car is in drive because its the law. i would like to know how to do this for the future

there will never be a factory car that will play video in the front if the car is in drive because its the law. i would like to know how to do this for the future

Its simple, the cars will be smarter and safer and hopefully drive me places, its a long shot but a nice wish.

I'm in my 20's and I've never seen such a bunch of old coots about their cars as on here. Maybe I bought the wrong car, lighten up everyone. Your generation of Bel-Airs and with 3 speeds and Camaros with carburators are over....We have a lot of unique individuals on here but this is not one of the bunches. Guess I'll ask a different forum. Thanks.

just go after market,, i had stock nav and replaced with the pioneer avic f90bt. think i paid 650 shipped and they may be cheaper now.. i love it and dont regret the switch and was also able to utilize the stock speakers and amps sounds great

Members online

Back