factory fluid that made the solenoid packs go bad? fluid V6 transmission solenoid

lking

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
anyone know what was wrong with the transmission fluid from the factory ( 04 LS ) that made the solenoid packs go bad?

my new solenoid pack is showing classic symptoms of failing (harsh engagement from park to reverse and from park to drive) and overall harsh shifting about half the time probably because i didn't flush out the bad fluid before installing the new solenoid

when i first start the car every morning it goes into drive or reverse like it should but after driving once the car is at normal operating temp and i try the reverse and drive i get the harsh shifts reverse or drive mostly reverse drive about half the time reverse all times except in the morning when the car is parked overnight

exactly how many litres of fluid does V6 transmission take? thinking of doing a complete drain and fill and changing the solenoid pack again

anyone know what was wrong with the transmission fluid from the factory ( 04 LS ) that made the solenoid packs go bad?

my new solenoid pack is showing classic symptoms of failing (harsh engagement from park to reverse and from park to drive) and overall harsh shifting about half the time probably because i didn't flush out the bad fluid before installing the new solenoid

when i first start the car every morning it goes into drive or reverse like it should but after driving once the car is at normal operating temp and i try the reverse and drive i get the harsh shifts reverse or drive mostly reverse drive about half the time reverse all times except in the morning when the car is parked overnight

exactly how many litres of fluid does V6 transmission take? thinking of doing a complete drain and fill and changing the solenoid pack again

Again???????

yes the first time i did not do a complete flush and the factory fluid is the cause of solenoid pack failure i only did a drain and fill or it could be that the fluid level was low by about half litre for about 10 000 kms

so no one knows what was actually wrong with the fluid from the factory?...well you've all been fooled the fluid most likely was not bad this was probably just an excuse for all the bad solenoid packs that way you change your solenoid and fluid and this only means one thing to Lincoln more $$$$

Maybe, maybe not. A TSB recommended that dealers add a particular "friction modifier" to the transmission fluid on the affected models. They did this on my 04, but the solenoid assembly still failed a few years later (just long enough to be out of warranty). I had the fluid fully exchanged ("flushed") when the solenoid assembly was changed.

exactly how many litres of fluid does 04 LS V6 transmission take?

Should be 11.2 L (almost 12 quarts). This is for the transmission, the cooler, and the cooler lines. It's the same amount as the V8.

Anyone running Mobil 1 synthetic ATF or any other type of trans fluid or do most of you stick with Motorcraft Mercon V?

i was thinking of running Mobil 1 or royal purple synthetic ATF myself.now that i got my car running :)

Go with Mobil 1. RP has a bit of a reputation of being the last thing done to an engine before it blows up and it doesn't matter if it's an old worn engine, a brand new one, or somewhere in between. It's your engine, of course, but I'd not take the chance. Also note, General Motors uses M1 as factory fill on their high performance engines.

Members online

Back