F/S - Magnaflow Mufflers

whatsupadrian

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I am selling both of my Magnaflow mufflers because i want Flowmaster 40's. They were installed new two days ago and after driving them around i wasn't happy with them. The tone is nice and deep and sounds good but its just not what i was looking for, i was looking for something a little louder. I live in southern california, whittier area. I paid $120 for the mufflers but i realize that they are now used so shoot me an offer. If you want them shipped i will go 1/2 on it from 90604 zip.

BTW i am 01 Lincoln LS on the Automotive forum.

I was thinking about doing a Magnaflow muffler but I've been reading it's not very loud. Let us know how the Flow 40 does.

your right its not really loud but sounds a lot nicer then stock. I'm sure if you removed the resonators it would sound louder though.

I have them and am not happy. they sound really nice at WOT or doing a big burnout, but, does not work well for getting people to race you.

I did a 2-1/2 cat back system, no resignators, and super 40's.... I hated it. The 40's sounded like crap, they had a loud droning noise at a 40 mph cruise, sounded terrible at WOT, high pitched. I was happier with no muffflers.

And on top of that, they started to rust a week after i got them

mikepietras04 said:
I did a 2-1/2 cat back system, no resignators, and super 40's.... I hated it. The 40's sounded like crap, they had a loud droning noise at a 40 mph cruise, sounded terrible at WOT, high pitched. I was happier with no muffflers.

And on top of that, they started to rust a week after i got them

do you think that if i ran 2.5" press bent pipes from the cats to the muffler w/out resonator it will be a lot louder

I've been kicking this around, and I think I'm gonna do it just because nobody else has, or at least said anything about it... I'm taking the cats off the car and leaving the rest of the exhauste alone, for now anyway.

Anybody else try this?

yes, but you can also expect more interior resonance.... which tends to get annoying while on the e-way for a long period of time.

Was that done with the rest of the system stock, or with aftermarket mufflers and resonators? I would have to think you'd pick up a noticeable gain in power and MPG.

kleetus said:
I've been kicking this around, and I think I'm gonna do it just because nobody else has, or at least said anything about it... I'm taking the cats off the car and leaving the rest of the exhauste alone, for now anyway.

Anybody else try this?
are you saying your removing them and runing them from headers or connecting headers to pipes and running from stock pipes?

whatsupadrian said:
are you saying your removing them and runing them from headers or connecting headers to pipes and running from stock pipes?
i think he was saying yes to my reply and not the reply on removing cats completely

I'd remake the pipes that have the cats on them, and just continue on with the rest of the system. Worked great on my 86 Merq, and on my 351 Capri. I guess it would be considered an "off-road H-Pipe" for lack of a better name. Not like I really care about the EPA nazi's...

Does somebody already make headers for these?

whatsupadrian said:
i actually have my interior completely dynomatted because of my 3 12"a in my trunk.

So do I, makes no difference.

I've got Kenwood excellon 6x8 in the doors, excellon 4 in the center (where the stock ash tray was) and excellon xt14's in the center console sides.... I'm running a crossfire 1202 on each pair of 6x8's and a 302 on the center. (see my member photo garage for pics) Anyways, my point is I can make it unbearably LOUD in the car, get out and close the doors.... and hardly hear a thing! But, oddly enough, the exhaust resonance still comes through.

i just figured it would help being that dm's purpose it to control and eliminate resonant frequencies. I figured it would absorb not only the bass resonant frequencies but the exhaust aswell. Oh well. But anyways i don't think i would mind the resonance being that i drive with 130+ DBs pounding :)

What year is your car? I'm wondering what gears you have... I have the 3.58's... it might change where the resonance occurs.

basically what i am looking for is a loud deep rumble at idle and a nice deep toned acceleration. Idealy i would like the way a stock mustang gt sounds. I hate the way rice sounds.

Go back to the basics... larger dia pipe, roughly equates to lower tones, longer lengths of pipe does too. There is a muffler made by MAC, called a "flowpath" it is similar in construction to a flowmaster, but it doesn't make that tinny sound. My friends swear by them on the GT's but I haven't heard one in person yet. MAC makes some really nice products.

Well, then the super 40's might be what you are looking for. Get rid of the resignators, and do 2-1/2 to the super 40's (center in/offset out fits best). It definately sounded great at idle, but anything over 4000 rpm or at WOT was just annoying to me. But, i suppose that is just my personal opinion. So if you arent worried about the rusting issue, go with them.

We'll see... I'm a tinkerer, and I like to build stuff myself. Fortunately a buddy of mine has an exhauste shop, so I can play and experiment some. I gotta get teh driver side valve cover gasket done up first though!!

in order for me to get my damn flows i need to sell these magnas first. heh i'll trade you since you don't like yours...

I'd be all for the trade.... i wouldn't mind trying the magnaflows.... but I sold the 40's to a buddy a few months ago..... still just running straight pipe until I get the time to figure out what I want to do. Why dont you try running straight from the cats like I have now? you might actually be happy with it.

I was thinking of running a 3" pipe from the cats to the back, was hopeing that the length of pipe alone would make it sound nicely but then again i don't want it stupidly loud. Do you happen to have a sound bite of the strait pipe. One thing for sure i do not want a crackling sound at WOT.

Members online

Back