External temperature sensor

Majdelboy

LVC Member
Reaction score
I have a 2000 LS (V8) and seem to have a problem with my external temperature sensor (pod) located behind the front grill. The temperature it is indicating is usually wrong (+/- 15 degress C) and this playing havoc with the temperature inside the car. Is the problem the sensor or something else I need to check ? How much does a new sensor cost and where can I get one ?

Well, if you'd measure your temperature in Fahrenheit like civilized people, you wouldn't have that problem. ;) But seriously, try Bill Jenkins (TeamFord); he can hook you up. Try the Team Ford banner ad over on the right side of this page--get good prices and support LVC all at once. :)

another thing to check - is the internal temp input.

it's the little 'vent' looking thing in the dash above the ignition key. It has a habit of not fitting back together properly if you do any work there.

There should not be any correlation between the outside temp sensor and the internal temperatures. Internal temps are adjusted using just that...internal temps where Quik mentioned. There is also a sun load sensor that should be on the dash if I'm not mistaken. But the outside temp your talking about? Should have no affect whatsoever on the operation of the ATC unit.

Temp. Sensor

Actually, the outside temp. sensor DOES affect the inside temp. If the outside temp. sensor says it is 100 degrees outside, then it will affect how much inside air is brought it, hard to explain, but anyways I know for a fact because mine was reading 126 degrees and was throwing everything out of wack, so I had the outside temp. sensor replaced, and now my heating and air works PERFECTLY. Hope this helps!

The exterior temperature display does not function correctly

Circuitry.
DATC module.
Ambient temperature sensor.
Ambient temperature sensor mounting.
Missing or invalid vehicle speed SCP signal

The ATS does effect how the DATC controls the interior temp.

The DATC system automatically maintains a selected temperature for vehicle interior comfort and regulates the volume of airflow between the instrument panel registers, floor ducts, windshield defroster nozzle, and side window demisters. The system will automatically select between fresh and recirculated air with an optional manual override - using the info form the ATS. The DATC system will also include a manual A/C override, blower speed override, and airflow direction overrides.

Wow! I stand corrected! I apologize for the bad information...but I just went to the service manual and it does in fact use input from the outside air sensor. Not sure why they do that since it also reads inside air temps, but they must have felt they needed it for something. Again, my apologies.

another thing to check - is the internal temp input.

it's the little 'vent' looking thing in the dash above the ignition key. It has a habit of not fitting back together properly if you do any work there.

QuickLS: Still have an LS? I have 01 LS8 Sport and was charter member with Brian Gowlings LLSOC way back. Went to the Auto Cross in Irvine when Lincoln set us up.
Regarding this thread, are those exterior sensors typically failing. Ours is mostly accurate it seems yet on some days that are obviously hot out it will read in the 80's. Rarely use the AUTO feature as they aren't reasonable for trips to the store etc. Mostly, a good feature if in the car for long periods of time.

Members online

Back