Expelled

fossten

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Expelled, starring Ben Stein, is a documentary being released April 18th in theaters nationwide.

Any of you who have the slightest interest in the evolution/creation debate should check it out. Then we can discuss it in this thread.

(I have it on good authority that he gets Richard Dawkins to admit that he believes in God)

I wonder if people will try and discount Ben Stein's intelligence?

..."He went on to major in economics at Columbia University's Columbia College, where he was a member of Alpha Delta Phi fraternity and the Philolexian Society. After graduating with honors from Columbia in 1966, Stein went to Yale Law School, where he was a classmate of Hillary Clinton, and from which he graduated as the class valedictorian in 1970."

I would think not. ;)

Thanks for the post Fossten...I will be sure to see this one!

Thanks for the heads up. I will be following this with keen interest.

Just got back from seeing the movie.

It was excellent.

I will not provide any spoilers, but there is one CGI scene that is absolutely breathtaking.

Some of the interviews of evolutionary scientists elicited shocked gasps and bursts of laughter from the crowd in the theater. You have got to go see this movie.

I've read (from several sources) the Argumentum Ad Nazism in this film is hilarious, i.e. "Evolution thinking caused the holocaust." Can't wait to see it, should be high on the LoL-Scale.

From www.imdb.com:

"Originally filmed with the consent of the scientists depicted as a documentary called "Crossroads" about the intersection of science and religion. Subsequently, the film's title and production company all changed without the knowledge of those they interviewed. The evolutionary biologists depicted in the movie have since objected to the inter-cutting of their interviews with footage of Hitler and Nazi stormtroopers. In response, the producers have labeled these scientists "hypocrites"."

Here's an article from New Scientist about the film.

http://www.newscientist.com/blog/sh...g-silenced.html

Edit: I didn't put that anger smilie up there, odd.

I've read (from several sources) the Argumentum Ad Nazism in this film is hilarious, i.e. "Evolution thinking caused the holocaust." Can't wait to see it, should be high on the LoL-Scale.

From www.imdb.com:

"Originally filmed with the consent of the scientists depicted as a documentary called "Crossroads" about the intersection of science and religion. Subsequently, the film's title and production company all changed without the knowledge of those they interviewed. The evolutionary biologists depicted in the movie have since objected to the inter-cutting of their interviews with footage of Hitler and Nazi stormtroopers. In response, the producers have labeled these scientists "hypocrites"."

Nothing like making sure your prejudices are firmly in place before you enter the belly of the beast, eh?

My question would be if those interviews are taken out of context. Moore does that all the time, that is how he twisted speeches by Heston to make him appear racist. The intercutting of footage during a monolouge is Moore's movies is usually to hide the audio edits to put words in people's mouth. I doubt that is the case with Stein's film.

There is a relevant point to be made in regards to the thinking and justification for certian acts by the Nazi and its similarities too, and basis in Evolution thinking, and the end results. That alone would not be like the typical Ad Nazism arguement in that the Nazi point is a relevant one and not just a means to label and discredit someone. If they play up the Nazi angle too much though, it would bleed into an Ad Nazism argument. I would have to view it in context, really.

Keep in mind, I haven't seen the film yet. I do think more of Stein then Moore (which he will obviously end up being compared to), and really hope he doesn't go for the cheap rhetorical point. Can't say either way at this point.

You should understand that most negative reviews of the film will be by people who are adamantly opposed to its premise, and that will dictate their review. Not an honest critique. Hollywood is overwhelmingly leftist and athiest. So take any of those reviews with a grain of salt.

Guys, with all due respect, this isn't the "I think the movie [sucks/rocks] even though I haven't seen it" thread.

It's the "Go see the movie, I really [liked it/hated it] and here's why" thread.

By the way, Shag, the original title to Darwin's book "On the Origin of Species" is actually "On the Origin of Species by Means of Natural Selection, or the Preservation of Favoured Races in the Struggle for Life."

Darwin was a racist.

If you don't think there's a racist connection to Darwinism, google Ota Benga.

By the way, Shag, the original title to Darwin's book "On the Origin of Species" is actually "On the Origin of Species by Means of Natural Selection, or the Preservation of Favoured Races in the Struggle for Life."

Darwin was a racist.

If you don't think there's a racist connection to Darwinism, google Ota Benga.

I hadn't heard that. I just looked up Benga and the connection to "scientific racism". Makes for an interesting read. I'll research it further (I jumped on Wikipedia to get a quick idea of what it was all about, wanna find a better source before drawing any concrete conclusions).

I think I might go see Mr. Stein's film today.

Nothing like making sure your prejudices are firmly in place before you enter the belly of the beast, eh?

Like you didn't go into the threatre already convinced that I.D. is sound, Mr. Pot.

I'll be back after I'ved watched the film.

Ok, watched the film yesterday. Here are my thoughts...

The movie is somewhat sensational; mainly due to the nature of it being a "documentary" in a mainstream theater. It has to keep audience attention and tried to put a lot of info into the film in a limited amount of time, so it can't go into lots of detail on the smaller points. Not that the movie in any way lacks substance, but for those already familiar with the ACTUAL positions and issues surrounding the evolution vs. ID debate (not the straw man misrepresentation presented by the MSM, hardcore athiests and elites in scientific and academic communities), there isn't a whole lot of new info here. The film did have a little too much appeal to emotion for my taste, but, again, that is neccessary to keep the audiences attention.

As to the Ad Nazium claims concerning eugenics, that is an exaguration and distortion on the argument made in the film.

An Ad Nazism argument is to claim someone is a Nazi and is therefore evil ("Bush=Hitler"), or guilt by association ("Hitler and/or the Nazi supported this view, agenda, etc., so it must be evil"). Those policies advocated by Hitler and his party which are generally considered evil and are condemned in and of themselves, not because Hitler and the Nazi supported them. Various programs, agendas, view, etc are considered evil on their own basis, while Hitler is considered evil for numerous reasons largely because he advocated them.

"Expelled" doesn't ever claim or imply that darwinism is wrong because it is tied to the Nazi. The Holocaust is used as an example of the evils inherent in eugenics which is based on darwinian evolutionary views. Basically, eugenics is evil and here is a terrible example of it under the Nazi.

In fact at least two times (by my count) the film explicitly says that it is not in any way saying that Darwinists are Nazi.

All and all, this film is pretty much what I expected. I wasn't too interested in seeing it, because I figured I already knew the argument and there was nothing new (which turned out to be largely the case). What caused me to go was the negative reviews. I had no doubt that those reviews were distorting in some way, but I wanted to confirm that. I couldn't imagine Ben Stein falling to the underhanded rhetorical tactics of Gore and Moore. Stein didn't disappoint. I also wanted to see if he used editing to mischaracterize what people say ala Moore. I didn't see that in the film either.

What was real interesting was all the interviews with the various scientists, professors and intellectuals, both advocating ID and against ID. Not just what they were saying, but what they weren't saying, how they were saying it, and what all that said about their own personal views, and how those influence their positions. Dawkins in particular, was really interesting.

If you want to disprove ID, the argument made in this film is the one you need to be able to honestly disprove, not the "straw-man" mischaracterized argument made by those who adamently oppose ID.

"Expelled" doesn't ever claim or imply that darwinism is wrong because it is tied to the Nazi. The Holocaust is used as an example of the evils inherent in eugenics which is based on darwinian evolutionary views. Basically, eugenics is evil and here is a terrible example of it under the Nazi.

Na, it's not implying anything. LoL

Are you that dead set on believing it is implying something it doesn't?! Eugenics is evil. The holocaust is simple the best example of the horrors of Eugenics. It is never said or implied that the evil nature of Eugenics is due to it being tied to Nazi. The film goes out of it's way to say as much at least two times.

You can say that the Nazi were evil for engaging in the Holocaust, but that isn't ad nazium, either. To be an ad nazium argument, it would need to say that the Holocaust was evil due to the fact that the Nazi engaged in it. The evil nature of the Holocaust (and eugenics) would have to be tied to the Nazi for it to be an ad nazium argument.

If you don't trust my definition of argumentum ad Nazium, then look here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reductio_ad_Hitlerum

http://www.fallacyfiles.org/adnazium.html

Are you really so self delusional that you will refuse to understand what an ad nazium argument is and isn't even when it is spelled out for you?!

The holocaust was based on [evil] eugenics, eugenics is based off of Darwin's theories. Na, they're not implying anything.

Since I haven't seen the movie yet, why did they bring in the Holocaust and Nazi's into the conversation then, if "Darwinism" has nothing to do with Hitler, Nazis or the Holocaust?

One could argue that eugenics = evil without ever mentioning Hitler, the Holocaust or "Darwinism", right?

Are you so delusional you can't see veiled intent? Liberals are often accused of doing it in here. Implying something negative while saying the opposite.

The holocaust was based on [evil] eugenics, eugenics is based off of Darwin's theories...

That is the point of the film, in regards to the Holocaust.

Since I haven't seen the movie yet, why did they bring in the Holocaust and Nazi's into the conversation then, if "Darwinism" has nothing to do with Hitler, Nazis or the Holocaust?

They brought in the Holocaust because it is the best example of the evils of eugenics, which is based on darwinian evolution assumptions. The Nazi are only involved because they are the ones who perpetrated the Holocaust. The " Nazi imagery" in the film is really Holocaust imagery (or imagery surrounding the Holocaust and it's justification), which will include Nazi.

One could argue that eugenics = evil without ever mentioning Hitler, the Holocaust or "Darwinism", right?

Yes. But the Holocaust puts it in perspective and shows the realities of the evils of eugenics. The connection to the Nazi is incedental. In fact, the Holocaust is historically the best example of the evils of eugenics and the best way to covey the point. It would be a sloppy argument to not include the Holocaust in this film.

You are assuming that any argument that even mentions the Nazi or Hilter is ad Nazium, which is flat out false, as I have demonstrated. You are attempting to move the goal posts on the burden of proof when proving that the ad Nazium claim is wrong; an underhanded rhetorical tactic. Do you hold such a high standard for proof that the ad Nazium claim is correct? I imagine not.

Are you so delusional you can't see veiled intent? Liberals are often accused of doing it in here. Implying something negative while saying the opposite.

There is no veiled intent, as you seem to want there to be. You are searching for something where there is nothing. When the MSM implies something negative, it doesn't go out of its way to say it isn't implying that. It also doesn't "say the opposite"; it just doesn't actually say the negative. Prime example, the "domestic spying" stuff. They mix equivocation ("domestic" communications are redefined to include international communications, which is not how they are legally defined), with questions about 4th amendment rights and FISA regardless of the fact that FISA only applies to foreign and international communications, not domestic; and the 4th amendment only applies to domestic communications. They leave certian things vauge and obfuscate the issue to let it be implied that Bush is violating 4th amendment protections and FISA (even though you can't violate both in the same instance). Expelled isn't vauge like that , it is very specific in what it is and isn't saying.

It is said at least twice in the film that darwinists ARE NOT Nazi, and that they are not trying to imply that. For what you are saying to be true, that could not be there. You are drawing some implied claim from the film (or the reviews you read of the film) that the film goes out of its way to make sure it doesn't imply. Your "analysis" is flawed.

If you really want to know weather it is or isn't using an ad nazium argument in regards to eugenics and the holocaust, go see the film.

You should also remember that Ben Stein isn't Michael Moore. Stein is smarter and more experienced the 10 Michael Moore's. He has credibility where Moore and Gore don't. Without seeing the film, it is logical to assume that Stein wouldn't resort to the underhanded tactics of Moore or Gore. Even without seeing the film it is illogical to assume that Stien would use underhanded rhetoric with only claims from reviews your basis for that, considering that most of Hollywood (including movie critics) is exceedingly Athiest and hostile to the movie without seeing it.

Fair enough, I will hold my Nazism opinion until I see it.

One more thing, what do Eugenics have to do with proving ID is correct, should be allowed in schools, is a logical theory etc etc etc?

Well, I HAVE seen the movie. Don't believe me? Ask me a question about some minor detail that would never appear in a review, like where an interview took place. Why did I go? Simple: I lost a bet with my right-winger brother in law. I am proud to say, however, that Ben Stein will not receieve one red penny of my money. I paid for a ticket to Leathernecks, which was playing in the theater across from it at the same time, then simply walked into to Expelled. Just a suggestion Deville. :gr_devil:

Assuming I'm not immediately banned by Bryan for posting here again, I'll be happy to debate whatever aspects of this movie that anyone wants to discuss. But for now I want to address the current (and most important) topic of discussion.

Shag, you are completely in denial. How you can claim that the movie "went out of its way" to not implicate Darwinism with Nazism is just astounding. At least Fossten is honest (although dead wrong) in directly accusing Darwin of leading to Nazism. Don't forget that the purported (advertised) purpose of the film is to show how ID is being suppressed by the scientific community (issues of freedom of speech, open scientific debate, etc.). Hence the title of the movie. Now tell me: What does the topic of eugenics even remotely have to do with the supposed message of the movie, unless the real purpose is something else entirely? It's the equivalent of doing a documentary claiming to be about the differences between Protestants and Catholics and then spending the last half of the movie focusing on pedophile priests.

At about the halfway point in the movie, between footage of Nazi atrocities, Stein attempts one very weak disclaimer along the lines of, "no one is suggesting that Darwinists are all Nazis" and then quickly moves on to a fun-filled tour of Dachau. Yeah, Ben sure went far "out of his way" to clear that up. :rolleyes:

Before the eugenics section of the movie, the audience was first warmed up with long segment showcasing short clips of "Darwinist" scientists explaining why they became atheists. But Ben isn't trying to suggest anything. Not at all. Apparently there isn't a single evolutionary scientist who still believes in God. Plu-lease.

It is interesting to note though, that no "Darwinist" that I'm aware of has ever claimed to have gone into the field with the the prior intention of disproving God. As opposed to at least one ID proponent, Jonathan Wells, who was featured in the film, and has openly declared that, prior to going to Yale to study evolution "my prayers convinced me that I should devote my life to destroying Darwinism". Scientific objectivity be damned. Which brings me to the next topic.

Later, the film makes the outrageous claim that Darwinists' evil agenda is based on a pre-determined "world view", which is never expressly stated, but is clearly implied by the prior segments. Am I the only one who finds this "world view" argument downright slap-forehead-with-palm-of-hand astonishing? Pot? Kettle? Beuller? Anyone? Seriously, how can anyone accuse scientists of latching onto a specific world view and not question, let alone examine, the world view of people like Wells?

So no, I categorically reject the notion that Stein wasn't trying to make a strongly emotionally-based case against Darwin by appealing to the (intended) audience's fears and pre-determined worldview. He directly and dishonestly implies that if it weren't for evolutionary theory, the Nazis would have never come up with the idea of eugenics in the first place. That ignores the historical fact that eugenics has been practiced since the the beginning of recorded history, just under a different name - selective breeding. Humans have been breeding livestock and domestic animals like dogs and cattle for millenia. As for humans, it's been known for just as long that children inherit some of the traits of their parents. This is plainly observable without any need for Darwin. Slave traders sometimes engaged in selective breeding to make better "stock". This is a sad historical fact, as offensive as it may be. And we've all heard the jokes about inbreeding in royal families. Marrying outside of the royal family was grounds for beheading.

The fact that Darwin originated a theory on the mechanism behind what had been practiced long before he was born doesn't make him responsible for the (sometimes evil) implementation of its principles. Even if Darwin was a raging racist (he was no more racist than other people of the time*), it doesn't invalidate the theory of evolution in any way.

Human beings will always manage to find creative uses for science, politics, AND RELIGION to justify committing the most vile of atrocities.

I've barely scratched the surface of what is wrong (both factually and ethically) with this film, but that's all I have the energy for now.

*The quote that Stein recited from Darwin was grossly butchered from a much longer paragraph in The Descent of Man. I'll post it later if I'm still allowed to post.

Shag, you are completely in denial. How you can claim that the movie "went out of its way" to not implicate Darwinism with Nazism is just astounding.

I never said that. You either don't understand, or are distorting what I am saying. I said that the film didn't make an ad Nazium argument. the film says that eugenics (which is informed by darwinism) is evil and implies that the Nazi are evil (in part) because they practices eugenics (the Holocaust).

For the argument to be ad Nazium, it would need to claim that eugenics (and by extension darwinism) is evil because it was practiced by the Nazi. the film doesn't claim that, and doesn't imply that. In fact, as you noted (and tried to downplay), the film says as much.

If you wanna understand what an ad Nazium argument is and isn't, read here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_Nazium

Now tell me: What does the topic of eugenics even remotely have to do with the supposed message of the movie, unless the real purpose is something else entirely?

Ben Stein told Bill O'Reilly,

Intelligent design is an attempt to fill in the gaps; it might be totally wrong

Evolution is currently the ruling scientific paradigm in this area. As with any scientific theory, ID starts with questioning the current paradigm, looking at the holes in the current theory and seeing if there is a better solution.

As David Klinghoffer points out:

Expelled touches on Darwinism’s historical social costs, notably the unintended contribution to Nazi racial theories...The key elements in the ideology that produced Auschwitz are moral relativism aligned with a rejection of the sacredness of human life, a belief that violent competition in nature creates greater and lesser races, that the greater will inevitably exterminate the lesser, and finally that the lesser race most in need of extermination is the Jews. All but the last of these ideas may be found in Darwin’s writing

How is looking at the social costs of darwinism not relevant to the questioning of darwinism?

At about the halfway point in the movie, between footage of Nazi atrocities, Stein attempts one very weak disclaimer along the lines of, "no one is suggesting that Darwinists are all Nazis" and then quickly moves on to a fun-filled tour of Dachau. Yeah, Ben sure went far "out of his way" to clear that up. :rolleyes:

Dispite your disengenuous attempt to downplay the point, the fact is that this quote blows your whole premise out of the water. If you are trying to imply something in an argument, you aren't going premise the argument by expressly saying you are not trying to imply that.

Before the eugenics section of the movie, the audience was first warmed up with long segment showcasing short clips of "Darwinist" scientists explaining why they became atheists. But Ben isn't trying to suggest anything. Not at all. Apparently there isn't a single evolutionary scientist who still believes in God. Plu-lease.

No condesending distortion and hyperbole there.

Expelled never claims or implies that all darwinists are Athiests, or don't believe in God. In fact the whole point made in the film about Athiests and liberal christians vs. conservative christians blows that idea out of the water.

What the film is showing is how opponents of intelligent design have ulterior motives for suppressing any presentation of ID in classrooms or scientific journals, based on the theory's ideological implications. If ID is true, naturalistic evolution is false, which removes the ground on which one of the most successful arguments for atheism is built. Thus, advocacy for atheism is a huge motive to suppress ID.

Later, the film makes the outrageous claim that Darwinists' evil agenda is based on a pre-determined "world view", which is never expressly stated, but is clearly implied by the prior segments. Am I the only one who finds this "world view" argument downright slap-forehead-with-palm-of-hand astonishing? Pot? Kettle? Beuller? Anyone? Seriously, how can anyone accuse scientists of latching onto a specific world view and not question, let alone examine, the world view of people like Wells?

More exaguration and distortion of the argument in the film! This is becoming a pattern, it seems. :eek:

Since Beuller is home "sick" for the day, I will tackle this one. :D

The film makes the point that the facts are the facts. the two competing theories (Darwinism and ID) are dictated by the world view they are approached with. That world view, on both sides is not based in science. So the question is, which world view is a more accurate representation of the truth, given the facts.

The film in no way implies that ID'ers don't come at this with a bias. It implies that both do. It focuses on the bias of the darwinists in reaction to what you hear (implied and out and out claimed at different times) in the PC establishment; that ID'ers have a definite bias and that darwinists don't.

While I know you like to discredit people out of had for having any bias (specifically those you disagree with), bias alone doesn't impare judgement. You can have a certian bias and still be reasonably objective. It depends on if you are willing to question that bias and go where the info leads.

While both darwinists and ID'ers do have a decided world view that informs there interpretaton, the question is; which side lets their bias cloud their judgement and objectivity. While I doubt you would admit it, the answer (as very well documented in the film) is the darwinists.

A real good example is the debate to include ID in the classroom here in Kansas. The Kansas school board allowed for a day (maybe a week?) for hearings in which both sides could make their case. The ID'ers made their case. What did the darwinists do? "Boycotted" the hearings, protested outside the school board offices and got face time in the local media where they proceeded to demonize the ID'ers.

The fact of the matter is that ID'ers wanna have a debate. Darwinists work to avoid a debate. When Darwinists do debate, they demonize the ID'ers in an attempt to make the debate about them, and not the issue; argumentum ad hominem.

The film points out these underhanded tactics used by darwinists and examines their motivations behind those tactics.

So no, I categorically reject the notion that Stein wasn't trying to make a strongly emotionally-based case against Darwin by appealing to the (intended) audience's fears and pre-determined worldview.

Who ever said there wasn't a decided appeal to emotion in the film? I didn't. That is definately in there, though the film is not all (or even mostly) emotional appeal; there is a lot of substance there too.

He directly and dishonestly implies that if it weren't for evolutionary theory, the Nazis would have never come up with the idea of eugenics in the first place.

More distortion and obfuscation. No where in the film is it even implied that the Nazi came up with the idea of eugenics.

setting up a straw-man argument to knock down in your next line, I see.

That ignores the historical fact that eugenics has been practiced since the the beginning of recorded history, just under a different name - selective breeding.

Now you are sinking to using equivocation, I see.

Eugenics: a social philosophy which advocates the improvement of human hereditary traits through various forms of intervention

Selective breeding and eugenics are different things. Just because similar techniques and motivations are used doesn't make them the same thing. Eugenics is purely focused on humans, and race. The justification for Eugenics (as used in the Holocaust and throughout the 20th century) is couched in darwinist thinking. You can read the documents and various quotes justifying eugenics that bare this out.

The fact that Darwin originated a theory on the mechanism behind what had been practiced long before he was born doesn't make him responsible for the (sometimes evil) implementation of its principles. Even if Darwin was a raging racist (he was no more racist than other people of the time*), it doesn't invalidate the theory of evolution in any way.

Eugenics shows the moral implications of darwinist thought, as well as the potential social cost.

Human beings will always manage to find creative uses for science, politics, AND RELIGION to justify committing the most vile of atrocities.

I see you read Kluger's review in Time.
"The truth, of course, is that the only necessary and sufficient condition for human beings to murder one another [in the Holocaust] is the simple fact of being human"

This is nothing more then an attempt to downplay the fact that the thinking behind the Holocaust was based in eugenics. This is done through "false analogy". While humans have distorted many views, ideas and theories to kill, eugenics isn't one of those. Eugenics doesn't distort darwinism, it simply adds a social agenda to it. That added social agenda (and the methods to achieve that agenda) is what makes eugenics evil. When enacted on the massive scale that only fascism and socialism allow, the result is the Holocaust.

From www.imdb.com:

I'm glad you're going to see the movie with an open mind. :D

Good job, Mac. Right scholarly bit of work.

By the way, TommyB:

He directly and dishonestly implies

How do you directly imply something? "Imply" itself is indirect by definition. :bowrofl:

I hereby directly imply that you are full of crap. :D

One more thing, what do Eugenics have to do with proving ID is correct, should be allowed in schools, is a logical theory etc etc etc?

Eugenics is basically darwinian views and assumptions mixed with a political/ideological/social agenda. Eugenics (especially through the Holocaust) show the potential social costs of those darwinian views and assumptions.

ID (as does any scientific theory) is reactonary and starts out by questioning the current reigning paradigm (in this case darwinian evolution). Part of that process is looking at eugenics, and thus the Holocaust, and how it relates to darwinism.

At least Fossten is honest (although dead wrong) in directly accusing Darwin of leading to Nazism.

While Fossten's comments are his to defend, I must say that nowhere in this thread (that I can find) did Fossten say directly (or imply) that Darwin lead to Nazism.

To make that claim you would need to know Darwin's views on politics and society in general, and Facism in particular.

You can find racist views in Darwin's writings and theories, that is inarguable. and Darwinism was the scientific reasoning behind eugenics. But did Darwin advocate eugenics? Let alone German Facism (Nazism)? Did Darwin advocate the extermination of Jews? I think not.

Yet another mischaracterization, it seems...

The quote that Stein recited from Darwin was grossly butchered from a much longer paragraph in The Descent of Man. I'll post it later if I'm still allowed to post.

The quote is cut down, but that alone does not make this a relevant point. For this to be a relevant critique, it needs to mischaracterize Darwin.

Here is the quote, which is accurate, although omitting parts:

With savages, the weak in body or mind are soon eliminated. We civilized men, on the other hand, do our utmost to check the process of elimination. We build asylums for the imbecile, the maimed and the sick. Thus the weak members of civilized societies propagate their kind. No one who has attended to the breeding of domestic animals will doubt that this must be highly injurious to the race of man. Hardly anyone is so ignorant as to allow his worst animals to breed.​

Darwin's fuller quote still introduces the same objectionable belief that it is somehow unwise to help the weak and allow them to procreate [Italics indicates text in the film's quote.]:

With savages, the weak in body or mind are soon eliminated; and those that survive commonly exhibit a vigorous state of health. We civilized men, on the other hand, do our utmost to check the process of elimination. We build asylums for the imbecile, the maimed and the sick; we institute poor-laws; and our medical men exert their utmost skill to save the life of every one to the last moment. There is reason to believe that vaccination has preserved thousands, who from a weak constitution would formerly have succumbed to small-pox. Thus the weak members of civilized societies propagate their kind. No one who has attended to the breeding of domestic animals will doubt that this must be highly injurious to the race of man. It is surprising how soon a want of care, or care wrongly directed, leads to the degeneration of a domestic race; but excepting in the case of man himself, hardly anyone is so ignorant as to allow his worst animals to breed.

Ben Stein didn't change the meaning of what Darwin was saying, or mischaracterize it. He simply streamlined the statement.

It is interesting, Tommy, that you would criticize Stein for "mischaracterization", when you have mischaracterized the film, myself and (presumably) Fossten in this thread. In fact, all inside of one post.

At least Fossten is honest (although dead wrong) in directly accusing Darwin of leading to Nazism.
I don't see where I even mentioned this connection. I said there was a racist connection, not a Nazi connection.

I didn't directly accuse him, nor did I directly imply it, or indirectly, either.

TommyB, are you hearing voices?

Members online

No members online now.
Back