Etc engine failsafe mode

DarthGanja

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone.

Let me start by saying thank you to all of those who have posted there problems and fixes on these boards. Every time I have a problem with my '04 LSV8, I can find a solution on here, your comments have been an invaluable resource.

So far I have had to experience the dreaded transmission problem with the hard shifts into third, $4200.00 to rebuild with the servo bore kit(I think that's what it was). I also had to replace the DCCV, an easy, fairly cheap fix, $120.00 off eBay if memory serves.

Now I am experiencing the ETC Engine Failsafe mode message. Sheesh. Real bad timing too, just starting a new job next week, am broke and now the dealership tells me $1200.00 for a new throttle body. I know, right? I digress...

I know from reading on these boards that a common problem with these engines, is the coil, or coil on plugs, are defective(more on that later) and when they are failing, they can lead to a miss diagnosis of a faulty throttle body. Apparently the faulty coils interfere with the correct reading of the codes, the computer is actually spitting out the wrong codes, or atleast that is what I'm gathering.

So I take the car to my local dealer with the hopes that the coils are faulty and it will be covered under the extended warranty that I keep reading about on these boards. I drop the car off in the middle of the night and write on the key drop envolope that I had another garage tell me that the coils were shot. A bit of a white lie, yes, but only so I could direct them into looking at the coils. I get a call this morning from the garage. They say I'm reading the p2107 and p2110 codes...faulty throttle body apparently. And yes, $1200.00 including the $140 diagnostic. I ask him about the coils, he seems to not know what I'm talking about. I tell him about what I have read on here about the coils and such, he finally looks up the TSB on my car. He tells me "oh yeah, there is an extended warranty on the coils...now let's see here..." and get this! " oh that warranty is for 160,000kms(yes, I'm Canadian) and your car has 164,000 Kms." :p So now they won't even look at em for the extended warranty.

I realize there fairly cheap to change all 8 coils yourself, and I understand changing the throttle body is a snap. I can get a used throttle body on eBay for like $180 and coils for like $100.

I guess what I am wondering about is if my car would be misfiring if it were simply a throttle body. The first time my car went into limp mode, it was under pretty heavy throttle, then I pulled off to the side of the road and turned it off and restarted it, then it was fine for about a week. Then it happened again but this time the engine was running really rough, and the problem doesn't go away when I restart the car. I should also point out that when the car is running, I can hear a loud hissing sound coming from the KKM air intake, which leads directly to the throttle body. Would bad coils cause this hissing sound?

Anyway, because of that hissing, i think I'm going to order a salvaged TB off eBay and try that, unless someone has a better idea or something I may be overlooking.

The hissing sound is probably an issue with your aftermarket intake, not the throttle body.
You should replace all eight coils and spark plugs (must do both), before you think about getting a throttle body. I'll bet that your problems with ETC failsafe will go away when you do.

Please note that the RF interference from bad coils does not "interfere with the correct reading of the codes." It interferes with the reading and control of the throttle body and gas pedal. The PCM can't correctly control the throttle body, so it goes into failsafe mode (as it should, would you rather had sudden uncontrolled acceleration?) and sets error codes for the electronic throttle system. These codes don't say that the throttle body needs to be replaced. They just say that there was a problem with that system. There's no way for the PCM to know what the cause of that problem was (interference from a bad coil). That's why a mechanic is supposed to troubleshoot the problem and make a proper diagnosis, not just throw a part at it.

Thanks joegr, I'll think I'll take your advice and put some new coils and plugs on her before I go with the new TB.

And hey, what's up fastmark? A friendly edmontonian, go figure. Loljk.

Replaced coils and plugs. Car running excellent now. Throttle body my a_$$.

Thanks Joegr. You and oddball saved me big bucks.

Cheers.

I'm experiencing the same exact issue right now. I was on my way to work and the LS went into ETC Engine Fail-safe Mode. I got home safely and then hooked up my SCT flasher and the only code it read off was P2107. I'm guessing its the coils, I'll order those online today and hope for the best.

I'm experiencing the same exact issue right now. I was on my way to work and the LS went into ETC Engine Fail-safe Mode. I got home safely and then hooked up my SCT flasher and the only code it read off was P2107. I'm guessing its the coils, I'll order those online today and hope for the best.

Mine was the #4 coil. Replaced it and no code since!

Just changed #4 with a used coil and it solved the problem immediately.

Bigger plans are to do all of them of course. It was just a test to see if it was #4 and it sure was.

Yeah,FAILSAFE happened to my V6 a while back.Pointed it out to Ford,thanks to you guys,and they STILL put on a new motor at throttle and new accelerator switch before they believed me. They put my old parts back on and replaced 2 coils.FIXED it! don-ohio

Just changed #4 with a used coil and it solved the problem immediately.

Bigger plans are to do all of them of course. It was just a test to see if it was #4 and it sure was.

Really every LS owner should have about 10-12 coils on hand at all times. I have a full set of ebay coils that lasted me 4 years. Started feeling a misfire early 2015, so I replaced them all with Motorcrafts. Now I have another misfire just 8 months later. No way in hell am I trashing all these coils, I am going to find which one is failing and replace it. It only misfires on warm up if temperature is below 40F.

The theory of motorcraft > everything is not always true. In my case, it has been the opposite.

Yea definitely. Think I may have found which one is misfiring, difficult to diagnose as it has to be super cold and that sucks...

And no, I don't have a scanner to tell me which one. I do know it is throwing AdvanceTrac errors, though.

I had all my coils replaced prior to having a PCM flashed and installed. Now the ETC failsafe mode came after the PCM installation. I keep reading #4 is the problem. Should I replace/have that looked at again and maybe solve this issue?

I had all my coils replaced prior to having a PCM flashed and installed. Now the ETC failsafe mode came after the PCM installation. I keep reading #4 is the problem. Should I replace/have that looked at again and maybe solve this issue?

There are multiple ETC failsafe modes and multiple possible causes. What OBDII codes are you getting? What is the behavior? (Do you have no throttle response, poor throttle response, or nearly normal throttle response? Does ETC failsafe come up immediately when you start the engine, or the first time you press the pedal, or after driving a while, or ...)

ETC comes on immediately when I start the car. The rpm gauge shoots up and then idles down. After I wait about 2 min, I turn the car off and right back on and then it is normal and I drive normally! Codes I'm getting are 2107 2110

If you don't restart, does it still reasonable respond to the gas pedal (in drive)?
Does the throttle plate move smoothly and snap back to closed (well, mostly closed) when you release it?
Is the throttle body reasonably clean?

if I don't restart it, car will move but at a snail pace. No power. I'm not sure about the throttle opening/closing but I know it was cleaned when I had the Maf sensor cleaned and the coils replaced. The only thing that I had changed was the PCM replaced.

It really shouldn't be cleaned. If not done very carefully with the right chemicals, it can cause damage (and possible issues like you are having).
It really sounds like the throttle valve may be sticking. 2003's did have some bad ones. You may have to change out the throttle body assembly.

Try this. Before starting it (after it has sat for a bit), pull the throttle plate open a few times and gently let it close back. Now start it.

My mechanic swapped out the throttle body but the same problem happened. I don't believe he changed the throttle position sensor if that could be a solution. I will go to him tomorrow or Monday with the specific steps you suggested. Do you have an email/# where I can send you the short video I took of what's happening. I'm sure you already understand what is going on though!

You can google drive the vid or youtube it and put the link here. Helps us all learn! :)

My mechanic swapped out the throttle body but the same problem happened. I don't believe he changed the throttle position sensor if that could be a solution...

The TPS is part of the throttle body assembly. If he didn't swap the complete assembly (throttle body, throttle valve, throttle motor, throttle position sensor, ...) then I'm not sure he did much.
Another suspect is the wiring between the throttle body and the PCM. It is easy enough to test. At this point you/he may need a better scan tool, like the dealers use. That would allow him to command the throttle to different positions with the engine off to see what is going on. Another step is to scope all of the ignition.

Hey everyone I am hoping someone can give me some suggestions. 2005 LS Ultimate 3.9 V8. Wife was driving and ran it out of gas. She had it towed home because it went into limp mode with ETC Engine failsafe warning. All coils and plugs done 3 months ago. Less than 10,000 km ago. Have done battery disconnect for overnight, when startup it revs up and then immediately goes ETC again. Normal codes 2107 & 2110. Help.....

What brand of coils? Spark plug gaps checked? How is it operating? Virtually no pedal response, reduced throttle response, almost normal throttle response?
By "revs up" do you mean beyond the normal cold idle, with the gas pedal not depressed?

Sorry I don't remember coil brand. Bought online from a parts supply house in USA.

YES plugs were gapped correctly.

Prior to this incident it had been running 100% perfectly.
Basically zero pedal response and when starting it momentarily revs to 1500-2000 then drops to very rough low idle 500rpm approx.

Mostly wondering if running out of gas caused something or should I just treat that as a coincidence.

Members online

No members online now.
Back