Erratic Stereo Display Behavior

triniti

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I have the Alpine 6-Disc in-dash. Everything works fine until it seems that the stereo heats up after about 30 minutes. Then the display starts doing whatever it wants to do. Adjusting the Bass and Balance by itself. If i tap it it behaves for a little bit then it's back at it. It's crazy!

Anyone experienced this? What could be causing it?

I also noticed that on this unit the Control Panel Face can be removed and replaced if there is nothing wrong with the HU itself. I'm guessing the CPF is going bad. Where can I get another CPF without replacing the whole unit.

I just bought the HU for $200 on eBay but I think I may have messed up the CPF because I had a bad door speaker that was causing problems and making the HU get pretty hot and shutting down the door speakers. That's when the issue first occurred. I replaced the door speakers with some Pyle aftermarkets and the problem went away but this display issue is still looming.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

2W4T-18C815-AC.jpg

Glad to hear you got the speaker business fixed!! :dancefool
Not sure about HU problems though.
The old Alpine radios had a demo mode for stereo shops to display all the bells and whistles to prospective customers, but I've never heard of a factory radio acting like that.
Check you owners manual to see if there are any settings for the radio that would cause your problems.

eL eS said:
Are the steroes matched in the PCM or FEM with some anti theft system?

If they are, its something I've never seen before.
I doubt it.
That one of the reasons I buy Ford, they don't do crap like that.
They just build stuff that breaks. :N
Don't burst my bubble man.

Seriously, if they were matched, it just wouldn't play, not act crazy.

But that does raise the question, are the controls on the wheel working correctly?

What Do You Mean?

eL eS said:
Are the steroes matched in the PCM or FEM with some anti theft system?

Not sure what you mean with that question. Please explain.

MikeB said:
If they are, its something I've never seen before.
I doubt it.
That one of the reasons I buy Ford, they don't do crap like that.
They just build stuff that breaks. :N
Don't burst my bubble man.

Seriously, if they were matched, it just wouldn't play, not act crazy.

But that does raise the question, are the controls on the wheel working correctly?

They work correctly when the unit isn't flipping out. The unit only flips when the unit starts to get hot.

Members online

Back