Engine won't turn over when parked on slope

tristangoesham

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
I think my fuel pump might be going out. Sometimes when I'm parked on a slope the car won't start unless I try several times. When parked on flat ground I've never had a problem getting it to start. I've put fuel injection cleaner though the car twice and it didn't really help. The battery and alternator are pretty new and it doesn't seem to be an electrical problem. Any thoughts as to what it could be?

I see that yours is an '06 so this is a Gen II V8. Does it happen with the front end parked on an up hill or down hill slope? Does it only happen with say 1/4 tank of gas or even with when the tank full? Does this only happen during cold starts or does it also happen with hot restarts? Have you ever cycled the key several times to the run position (not to the start position) just to allow the fuel pump to spool up and make sure the system is pressurized before trying to start the car?

To me, "won't turn over" implies that the starter won't turn the crankshaft over. I believe that what you are saying is that the starter is working just fine and is turning the crankshaft, it's just that the engine doesn't fire up and run. I wish we could come up with and use some consistent terms that correctly describe the very different problems.

I wish we could come up with and use some consistent terms that correctly describe the very different problems.

we have... people just refuse to use them...

if your car wont start, it is doing one of two things...

its either not turning over or not cranking, which means that the starter is not spinning the motor

or

the car is cranking or turning over but wont fire/start up

these are two totally different problem with two totally different solutions. the help you get can only be as good as the description you give.

#CrapIn>CrapOut

Sorry I forgot about this post., I only remember it when I experience the problem.
The gas level has been at 1/2 full and almost empty the two times I remembered the gas level so I don't think it's that. The engine must be raised up for it to not start and it only happens occasionally. The car won't start unless I put it in neutral and level the car out. The engine sounds fine and the battery is fine.
I noticed the problem back in February and I've had it happen 4 times since. I've experienced it when the car has been sitting for a few days and also when the car has been driven within the last few hours. I've put fuel injection cleaners through it and it doesn't seem to really help. I've had it parked on hills and slopes and had no problems but sometimes it just won't start unless I level the car out. My dad thinks it's the fuel pump.

Have you tried starting it with the gas pedal all the way to the floor? Do you get any smoke out when it does start? Are you losing any oil?
The fuel pump has to make a lot of pressure. It won't be affected by the tilt of the car. It could be the jet pump, if this only happens when the tank is quite low.

No I have not tried it with the pedal to the floor, I'll keep it in mind next time. As far as I've noticed I'm not getting any smoke when I start. Also I haven't checked the oil but I do change it regularly and I don't have any oil leaks.

'like half full' of gas while on the hill is 'like almost empty' on a flat surface... my 'guess' is a combo of fuel level too low and marginal fuel system <namely the pumps>. OP you should probably not run the vehicle in question lower than 1/4 tank to avoid undue strain on your pumps, which are probably marginal. the fuel itself cools the pump, which is inside the tank... so its gonna run hot and suffer moderate abuse if fuel is lower than say 1/4 tank. if you werent having symptoms i would say run it down to the fuel light if need be, but with symptoms i would fuel up whenever it got to the 1/4 mark... ps your fuel filter is probably plugged up too bc you indicated you run it low on fuel sometimes.. that reduces the life of the filter significantly

Update. It happened again yesterday and the tank was 90% full when parked on a slight slope. It wouldn't start on my drive way and I had to back it out into the street to level the car out and then it started first try. I'm thinking it's the fuel filter or pump.

I assume that you tried clear-flood this time and it didn't help. I can't really picture it being the filter, but it is cheap and easy to change. Did you listen to see if you could hear the fuel pump prime when it wouldn't start? You could also try some starter fluid to be sure that this is fuel related.

No I didn't try clear-flooding it but I will next time. Could it be one of the coils?

I think that with the LS, it could always be coils (but the odds are low this time).

Can we get a little clarification on exactly what it is doing? Unless I missed it I didn't see it.

Is the starter spinning the engine?
If it doesn't spin the engine does it sound like it's trying to spin the engine, just clicking or doing nothing at all?
If the starter is spinning the engine, does it sound like it's just spinning or trying to fire?

Hook up a fuel presure tester . Auto zone has them for free. Then rule in or rule out the fuel pump.I do not know what the fuel presure is for yours

Hook up a fuel presure tester . Auto zone has them for free. Then rule in or rule out the fuel pump.I do not know what the fuel presure is for yours

Fuel pressure is 30 to 55 PSI with the engine not running. However, there's a good chance that his does not have a fuel pressure test port.

Everything sounds fine, it just won't start. Once the car is leveled out it starts right up. Mind you this happens about once a month on my drive way and other slopped places. The problem is really inconsistent which is making it hard to pin point.

Also going to look into fuel pressure tester if my car has one.

Might be time to visit a dealer who knows the LS, or a Jag dealer. They can at least simulate a hillside angle with a hydraulic lift. Good luck.

Members online

No members online now.
Back