engine weight?

zmt325

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
anyone know the weight of a dohc 4.6 out of a mark? i have been searching for a while. i have an idea to combine my favorite chassi with my favorite engine.

height and width dimensions would be nice as well

Last edited:
That will be hard. Do you mean factory engine with every option on it from PS,alt, ac, intake, exh, or just a longblock?

That will be hard. Do you mean factory engine with every option on it from PS,alt, ac, intake, exh, or just a longblock?

but for weight purposes long block intake to oil pan

this is in its infant thought stages but i figure if they can cram a v12 in an e30 why not put a teskid dohc 4.6? when i can finish the 95 and sell it i will want to build up the e30 i had in high school. I still have it it has not run in over 8 years.

v12 e30 example​

BMW e30 v12 - YouTube

I have been trying to buy a hanging scale that reads to 1000 to weigh such things but no luck. I will be pulling a 97 engine and trans and can weigh full weight and stripped.

I have been trying to buy a hanging scale that reads to 1000 to weigh such things but no luck. I will be pulling a 97 engine and trans and can weigh full weight and stripped.

yeah i have one out sitting on the floor but no way to weigh.

my idea just got shoot down anyway looks like the dohc ford is to damn wide. :(:( so never mind .

well the thought process is back on. someone has done it so if anyone ahas any weight info it would be much appreciated.

BMW E30 v8 325is 4.6 dohc v8 - YouTube

Engine Weight
4.6L SOHC 500 lbs.
5.4L SOHC 525 lbs
4.6L DOHC Aluminum Block 425 lbs
5.4L DOHC 540 lbs
6.8L SOHC V-10 640 lbs.

Accurate weights are hard to come by. It seems everyone has their own idea of what constitutes an engine assembly. Was it weighed with all the accessories, was it dry or filled with fluids, etc. Use this as a guide, these numbers are close but will vary from what you see elsewhere.

From here

http://www.sullivanperformance.com/yvs450/tech/tech1.htm

Engine Weight
4.6L SOHC 500 lbs.
5.4L SOHC 525 lbs
4.6L DOHC Aluminum Block 425 lbs
5.4L DOHC 540 lbs
6.8L SOHC V-10 640 lbs.

Accurate weights are hard to come by. It seems everyone has their own idea of what constitutes an engine assembly. Was it weighed with all the accessories, was it dry or filled with fluids, etc. Use this as a guide, these numbers are close but will vary from what you see elsewhere.

From here

http://www.sullivanperformance.com/yvs450/tech/tech1.htm

thank you sir... that is a drastic weight increase over the front of an old bimmer. i think an old m20 weighs like 250 lbs.

Fully dressed (as seen in the pic), 505 lbs. That was without any fluids, but I can't recall if that was with or without the weight of the skid. It's been nearly a decade since I put one on the scale.

engine201.jpg

this is in its infant thought stages but i figure if they can cram a v12 in an e30 why not put a teskid dohc 4.6? when i can finish the 95 and sell it i will want to build up the e30 i had in high school. I still have it it has not run in over 8 years.

v12 e30 example​

Now THIS is the best combination...sorry to say it to all you die hard ford guys..but GM got it right with the LS.

http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...7-thunderbird-gen-iii-budget-engine-swap.html

v12 e30 example​

Now THIS is the best combination...sorry to say it to all you die hard ford guys..but GM got it right with the LS.

http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...7-thunderbird-gen-iii-budget-engine-swap.html

that has been done A LOT with the old e30s

E30-LS1 - YouTube

v12 e30 example​

Sigh...yea that LS1 is a monster stock...:shifty:

Sigh...yea that LS1 is a monster stock...:shifty:

and even more of a monster with the usual bolt ons (cam, intake, headers)..theres no replacement for displacement, and with denalis and tahos showing up more and more in the scrap yard those 6.0s are becoming cheaper and easier to come by..that's an EASY 500 hp at the crank with bigger cam, LS1 intake and full length headers..

if only i had the ability to do this swap myself..lol

Members online

No members online now.
Back