Engine rattling while going up hills...

Lincoln King

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I wanted to see if any of you could help me answer this question. My 1993 Lincoln Town Car (167,000 miles) makes a distinct rattling noise from the engine compartment while I go up hills or make fast accelerations. Whenever I am at idle or going a constant speed, the rattling noise cannot be heard.

I have heard that it might be a belt pully, tensioner, or cat heat shield. I am certain that it is not the latter (a rusted heat shield fell off about three months ago and eliminated a separate noise I was having at idle.

To get back to this rattling noise with my Lincoln, it is definitely a noise that recognize with high mileage Ford Engines. My mother has a Sable with 236,000 miles on it and it makes the same kind of noise under the same circumstances. Additionally, I have two friends that have Tauruses (100,000 miles+) that do the same thing.

I am interested to see what you all think this rattling noise might be.

Thanks,
Paul

Definitely not a ping...

All of the cars I mentioned are running on regular unleaded 87 octane, which is the manufacturer's recommendation. The rattle definitely doesn't sound like a ping.

My father's Sable rattles at idle. . . it sounds like a key chain or something small rattling on the exhaust (its a high pitched rattle). The heat sheild is good but if you knock on the cat it makes the noise. Try that and see what happens.

Same engine bay rattling on 97

I have a 1997 Lincoln Town Car that does the exact same thing, under power, at higher RPM's it does make a rattle. If I was to floor it from a dead stop, the sound would not be heard until roughly 25-30mph and then would be heard all the way through 42mph ( 1st - 2nd gear shift point ) It will do this for all gears. Now i thought mine was exhaust related, like the cat heat shield rattling like i have read about because it does sound like it is coming from the engine bay but a friend said it was my exhaust rattling. But it is not like the mustangs in the videos posted. That is a timing chain slack noise you hear. and that is heard at all RPM's all the time. Our problem is only at higher rev's. I would estimate from 3700 to 5500 RPM's No real way to tell since there is no tach :(

Sounds like a bad cat. that has come apart .:)If thats what is you need to replace before it plugs up your muffler.

Members online

Back