Engine oil

vicls

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
What engine oil you guys use i just got my ls and looking to change the oil. I know its suppose to be 5w20 synthetic. Also have a question about this cooling fan fluid. Is that the same as the powersteering fluid because it smells and looks exactly like it. Called partsource and they don't know what engine cooling fan fluid is. Does it matter what kind of powersteering fluid i use because i always use best of the best stuff for my cars. Just wondering if i should EXACTLY follow the manual because everything is motorcraft stuff since ford owns it.:p

5w-20 or 5w-30 depending on the climate. personal preference

I've been using Mobil1 5w-30 with 10k oil change intervals and Motorcraft filters for about 145k LS miles now. 70k on the first 2000 LSV6 and 85k on the current 2002 LSE V8. No problems.

Okay but in manual it says v6 is 5w20 and v8 5w30. Does it really matter if i use 5w30 synethetic. Also i have a 4.5L jug of oil how much do these suckers usually take.... the v6 engine i mean.

okay welll i changed with motomaster filter and formula 1 5w 30 synthetic oil... should be good to go...

I do not believe that they require synthetic. I dont know about the V6, but my 02 V8 uses a whopping 7 quarts of Mobil 1 5w20. I live in the florida keys, so it is always hot here.

YEs it says 5w20 or 5w30 synethtic motor oil. Yea i know god these suckers take alot of oil. About 7L of my f1 oil. How often you guys change your oil, in km's since im in canada right now.

The OBC goes off every 5k miles on the V8's..to let you know to change the oil. Unlike Service Interval indicators in other cars (ie Benz, BMW, Porsche) that use an interval based on your driving style, temps, engine temps, stop and go driving, and actual oil sensors in the oil pan that analyize the oil, Lincoln simply used a mileage based interval indicator, which I promptly ignore.

I once sent my oil in for an oil analysis (oil had 11k miles on it..WalMart brand 5w-30 Super Tech synthetic and I used a MotorCraft filter) and the report came back showing that in short, the oil was STILL fine..protective properties and viscosity was still fine for the engine, and protecting.

So..with that in mind, I've been using 10k mile intervals for years now.

As a sidenote, 1992-around 1999 (at least) BMW's SI lights usually recommend a change around 9-10k miles. It increased to around 15k in the early 2001 year, if I recall. (That might be Benz with that interval, so dont quote me).

The new 3-series BMW has oil change intervals around 19k miles or so, per a car magazine report that I read.

Thanks for the info, yea i wasn't expecting to change it that often these engines run really well and car isn't that old. I'll prolly stick my 5k interval because im paranoid:)

I run Mobile 1 synthetic in my LS with 5000mi interval

Valvoline full synthetic in my F-150 with 3000mi interval

The OBC goes off every 5k miles on the V8's..to let you know to change the oil. Unlike Service Interval indicators in other cars (ie Benz, BMW, Porsche) that use an interval based on your driving style, temps, engine temps, stop and go driving, and actual oil sensors in the oil pan that analyize the oil, Lincoln simply used a mileage based interval indicator, which I promptly ignore.

The new 3-series BMW has oil change intervals around 19k miles or so, per a car magazine report that I read.

On the 2004 LS the OBC goes off at 5,000 OR 180 DAYS./B]

FYI the new BMW have now done away with the oil dip stick, they use a sensor now.

"FYI the new BMW have now done away with the oil dip stick, they use a sensor now."

I read an article about a guy that had to have his oil drained/ measured/ reinstalled by dealer to determine how much oil to add -3 series-(low oil light came on).

is it okay if you dont use synthetic? I use 5w30 Castrol GTX engine oil.

is it okay if you dont use synthetic? I use 5w30 Castrol GTX engine oil.

Sure, 5w30 Castrol GTX engine oil is good oil just go with a short oil and filter change, say 3k to 4k depending on climate, environment, and driving habits.

How about mixing 5w 20 to 5 w 30. Is it bad i had some 5w30 left so i just put it in.

never thought of that, mixing the 20 and 30.

probably shouldn't mix two brands unless its desperate.

probably shouldn't mix two brands unless its desperate.
As long as they meet the same API standards, mixing brands oils should not present any problems. It's probably not a good idea to mix different weights of oil, though.

Members online

No members online now.
Back