Engine Oil

Use WalMart's SuperTech line. It is one of the best oils/filters out there, and is one of the cheapest. Do not use Fram!

I had the luxury of seeing the results froma BIG dollar govt test done by RECO a division of the DOE on oil and filters.They did the study so they could keep up their thousands of vehicles as best they could to make them last.
As far as filters go, Fram ranked DEAD LAST.WIXX and Motorcraft were at the top of the list.
As far as oil goes, Mobile 1 was at the top ( Amsoil was not tested) and Penzoil and Quaker State were the worst.

If I cant get out to the warehouse to pick up some amsoil I use Mobile 1.Walmart has it cheap and redily available.They also have the Motorcraft filters in stock.

But in my built engines I ALWAYS use Amsoil.

My best friends mom worked there.I dont remember what exactly she did but she had access to the test results.

Never thought the type of Oil would draw so many posts.

I am currenly looking for an Amsoil dealer in the area.

Are blends better than pure synthetic oils. :?

That's sort of bad advice, Sif. The oil itself will NOT cause leaks. What does happen is if, by some chance, your engine has a bad gasket, and has been fed fossil-based oil all its life, the ash can form a "plug" around the gasket failure area, kind of like a clot. When you switch to synth, the clot will break up and go away. This will show you actual bad gaskets that will need to be replaced, because your new oil will seep through. Never fear. Synth is FAR better for your engine, and can last over 10K miles, although swap filters at 5K. In fact, do not change synth as often as you change standard. Synth oil becomes better as it ages, up to a point.

mespock said:
Are blends better than pure synthetic oils. :?

Maybe....

Castrol Syntec Blend Q & A

Question: What are the benefits of CASTROL SYNTEC BLEND?

Answer: SYNTEC BLEND Part Synthetic is the only motor oil that is a proprietary blend of Castrol conventional oil and SYNTEC molecular components. Its synthetic blend formula provides added protection versus conventional oils for severe driving conditions. These conditions are defined in car and truck owner's manuals as stop and go traffic, towing & hauling, frequent short trips, extreme temperatures, and even idling -- conditions that you face every day

Question: When should I use Syntec Blend Part Synthetic Motor Oil?

Answer: SYNTEC BLEND is the only part-synthetic product that is a proprietary blend of Castrol conventional base oils and SYNTEC molecular components. Unlike some other products on the market that are made for specific vehicle types, we've developed SYNTEC BLEND because we understand that it's not WHAT you drive, but HOW you drive.

On-going research shows that most consumers operate their vehicles under what manufacturers describe as severe driving conditions such as stop and go traffic, frequent short trips, extreme temperatures, or towing and hauling. Castrol SYNTEC BLEND provides an added level of synthetic protection against the stress these conditions place on an engine.

Question: Wouldn't it be better (or just as good) if I mixed Syntec with GTX?

Answer: Although all the oils are compatible, this is not the way we make Syntec Blend - it is fully formulated in its own right with conventional GTX base stocks and Syntec molecular components to achieve its unique properties.

FWIW I also use Muscle Products MT-10 additive in all my oils...
MT-10all.jpg

http://www.mpc-home.com/mt10.html

CaptainZilog said:
That's sort of bad advice, Sif. The oil itself will NOT cause leaks. What does happen is if, by some chance, your engine has a bad gasket, and has been fed fossil-based oil all its life, the ash can form a "plug" around the gasket failure area, kind of like a clot. When you switch to synth, the clot will break up and go away. This will show you actual bad gaskets that will need to be replaced, because your new oil will seep through. Never fear. Synth is FAR better for your engine, and can last over 10K miles, although swap filters at 5K. In fact, do not change synth as often as you change standard. Synth oil becomes better as it ages, up to a point.

Sounds like someone has read the same website as me????? http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/stories/oil-life.html

For those that havent checked it out its a pretty good site.They jus got done with their own test of Mobile 1 and they are now doing the exact same test with Amsoil.
Check it out when you have some time to read.

Yep, I like that spacebears site, and also Kit Sullivan on LincolnsOnline.com is REAL smart with oils and put up a really top-notch description of oil properties.

Members online

No members online now.
Back