Engine Difference Early 97 , Late 97/98 !

Sonny Day Out

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Anybody,

Please tell me the difference between early 97 production ( to 23/97 ) and late production ( from 2/4/97 and 98 ) !

What problems would you have installing an early engine in a late production vehicle !

Thanks in Advance,
Sonny

Only thing I have seen, have still not found any rhyme or reason to it is, my late 98 LSC uses 7 quarts of oil.

Tranny is another story - the 98s have all the upgrades built in. No install differences though.

The 97/98 Mark IMRC's are the same improved plastic ones with bigger ports. It's the 97 Cobra which still had the old aluminum style IMRC's, only the 98 Cobra got the revised IMRCs'. There is no difference between the engines except the 97 came with the alternator intech beauty cover... that's the only difference as far as I know...

I think late 97 and 98 have different valves and springs.

Frat-man-du said:
Only thing I have seen, have still not found any rhyme or reason to it is, my late 98 LSC uses 7 quarts of oil.

Tranny is another story - the 98s have all the upgrades built in. No install differences though.

WEWWW I did'nt know it used 7 quarts, jeeez. Hey I was wondering how the 98 style engine would fit in the 95? any one know how that would work (other than the obvious intake difference)?

I posted a thread a couple months ago and found out some use 6qts, some 7 some even reporting 5 quarts. Go figure.

Frat-man-du said:
I posted a thread a couple months ago and found out some use 6qts, some 7 some even reporting 5 quarts. Go figure.

O RLY?

So that might be the reason I'm always a quart shy on the dipstick. Every oil change I seem to be missing one quart. I thought I was burning oil, but figured with under 95K on the clock, it's too early to burn oil. That lead me to believe I was leaking oil, but found no evidence of leakage on my diveway. Weird.

I guess I'll have to buy 7qts. from now on :shifty:

When I first bought the 98 LSC, it took 7 quarts. My friend told me that it should only take 6 quarts and that I had sludge build up in the heads, causing it to take an extra quart. At first I didn't believe him... then I used a quart of Marvel Mystery oil and ran it in the engine for 3000 miles. Next oil change, 6 quarts was all it took to read full on the dipstick...

Members online

Back