Engine cover

SurfjaxLS

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Just talking about dressing up the engine bay in some other threads got me thinking about how it could end up looking. So, I decided that the boring black engine cover had to go. I painted part of it and think it looks pretty good.

cover.JPG

what paint and color is that? It is very brilliant. The eyes want to focus on the silver but the dominat black stripe draws the eye. Post a pic of it installed as soon as you can.

I used the duplicolor metalcast ground coat. I didn't think the color was going to be nearly as good as it is. I'll have it installed tomorrow, after I finish painting the clips.

eL, thanks for the idea, I kinda stole it from the thread about painting your intake manifold.

the color jumps right out at you. I can't wait to see it installed. Duplicolor has licked for sure. No doubt about it, I am going to repaint my mainifold in silver or red or... :)

I have had my eye on the engine cover as well... I might go all siler on it and touch up the Lincoln stuff in gloss black and do the manifold in red to match the calipers.

Hey see if you can tape off some little flame below the V8 and paint it in the same color. You will need some of that thin masking tape. Just fool around with the flame design before hyou lay the coat.

Nice paint job. I did two up. One with carbon fiber and the other painted to match my car. I also had the cover over the radiator painted and the cover between the headlights. It's a little hard to see the picture below but it was taken last September at NOPI in Atlanta.

510004_180_full.jpg

NOPI 013.jpg

GrayGhost1 said:
Nice paint job. I did two up. One with carbon fiber and the other painted to match my car. I also had the cover over the radiator painted and the cover between the headlights. It's a little hard to see the picture below but it was taken last September at NOPI in Atlanta.

510004_180_full.jpg

NOPI 013.jpg

Looks great. I like the painted to match! Thanks for the idea. I am tired of cleaning and applying plastic protectant only to have it collect debris.

If you do not mind my asking; what steps did you take to prepare the surface. This will be my first shot at painting plastic and I expect rough seas.

eL eS said:
Looks great. I like the painted to match! Thanks for the idea. I am tired of cleaning and applying plastic protectant only to have it collect debris.

If you do not mind my asking; what steps did you take to prepare the surface. This will be my first shot at painting plastic and I expect rough seas.

Apply bug and tar remover to the piece and make sure all parts are degreased. Also, avoid touching it with bare hands, the oils leave marks after it is degreased.

Next, apply duplicolor adhesion promotor or equivalent, multiple coats. I used 4. Then, apply color, again I used 4 coats. Finally, apply clear very lightly, it will cloud up if you go too heavy.

It is very easy and gives professional results.

Here is mine installed. Yes my engine bay is very dirty. I am also considering painting the intake tube, and strut covers to match the silver.

cover 1.JPG

cover 2.JPG

Members online

No members online now.
Back