emissions test

crw13755

LVC Member
Reaction score
:rolleyes: OK I am getting aggravated here I have a 93 Cad. Seville and had it for 3 yrs now, never had to ever worry about Em. Test here in Texas except for when I lived in CA but the compressor went out on my car and $4000 and a yr later I got my car back finally now I have already spent another $272.95 on trying to pass the inspection just about everything in the world has been done to this car even a new catylac converter but still not passing, The guys at the dealership and the mechanic I trust both cannot find a reason but is telling me that in 93 there was a recall on the exhaust system but when I call the GM Cad. Corp. at the 1/800 # she informs me there was no recall at anytime.
So here is my question: Do i need a whole new Exhaust System or what? and I am not selling my car!!!! Everyone keeps telling me to sell it and" I aint a doin it!!!" I like my little car and worked hard on it and for it and I have never had any problems with it till the converter went out on it and let these yahoos at the cad. dealership work on it

No need to sell the car man... Gotta be something stupid.

I'm guessing the dealer thought of all the common sense items...
Perhaps take her out on the HWY and do some WOT work. Maintain it
for as long as you can (Of course don't kill yourself) But that helps to blow
out any of the nonsense that builds up. Also helps to seal rings and such.

Drop some fuel injector cleaner in it and add some Lucas Oil Treatment.
Drive with that stuff in there for a few days and then get it Re-Inspected.
If that don't work, go to a different inspection station. Or to a repair shop
that also does inspections and have somebody else try their system on it...

I am being told by 3 Mechanics sofar there was a recall on the 93 seville exhaust system and referred to the main company that was denied such a problem and told me to return the car back to Bravo Cad. to have another diagnostic test done to see what is happening but yet no resolution to my problem since they had been working on the car for so long and yet fixed the problem where the check engine light is still comming on, the seat is torn on the drivers side and windshield is cracked plus other things I am seeing now that I have gotten it back from Bravo Cad. and trust I am going to complain big time.
Thanks for the advise I will try them:)

The only thing I can think of is that there is a leak in the exhaust system somewhere, which is preventing a proper emissions test. Have you been told the system is leaking or that an emissions test can't be performed due to a leak? Obviously, if the exhaust is leaking you would also fail for that as well so I don't understand why you would think the entire system may need to be replaced. Unless it's full of holes it makes no sense to replace the entire system, particularly when you already replaced the catalytic converter. There has to be a specific reason for replacing the exhaust system and I would find out why you would need to before you spend the money.

This last weekend I drove my 1993 Seville about ten miles. On the way back, about 8 miles form my home, the steering wheel locked up as though the power steering had gone completely out. The engine overheating light came on, indicated the battery was not charging. Also, there was a warning light about the Coolant System. The back-up lights would not function either. This morning, Monday, I opened the hood and found that the serpentine belt was completely missing and that there was no anti-freeze in the radiator.

I had the vehicle in question at the local Cadillac dealership for over a year as a result of the exceedingly high bill that was incurred and I was paying the bill out in installments. This entire ordeal began in 2005 in November and I was unable to pick the car up again until October of 2006. The dealersip had replaced the compressor, tensioner, orifice and a fuse as well as a set of new tires. The shifter was replaced as well along with a defective trunk latch. Because of a defective, according to the dealership, battery cable I purchased one for a significantly smaller amount than the dealership was going to charge ($300 not counting labor) and when they installed it, they cracked the cable starter housing then charged me for it.

Today I called GM in Detroit and spent quite some time on the phone with a representative. I explained the latest situation to her, including the now missing serpentine belt. She called the dealership and spoke with them and indicated that this was an "alleged" dealer problem and that I needd to take this up with the dealership and not GM. I spoke to the head of the service department who said if I wanted to bring the car back I could and if there was something that they had done improperly. I asked for at least a waiver of the towing after my spending more than $4,000.00 and was told that he could not do so.

Though I can appreciate the so-called kindness of the dealership for not demanding full payment I am at the same time annoyed in that after all this time the window is cracked, the leather seats on drivers side are in bad condition, the antenna does not work properly. And now, after only driving the vehicle for 328 miles, one of the main things I took the car in for, the belt and tensioner and compressor have malfunctioned and again I have to pay to have the belt replaced.

Well, the dealership should guaranty its work. Did the dealership service department itemize the repairs? I would suspect that under Texas law a mechanic at a dealership or repair shop must 1) first obtain written consent of the owner with respect to all needed repairs before the repairs are actually performed; and 2) must itemize all repairs on the repair bill. Now, I don't know about Texas law per se, however, I believe most states have consumer protection laws similar to what I mentioned above.

A. Did the service department give you an itemized bill?
B. If so, what did they do to repair the serpentine belt, tensioner and compressor?

I would first see if the bill says anything about these repairs. I would then inspect the car to see if the repairs were actually done. In other words, if the dealership claims certain parts were replaced then certainly after only about 328 miles you should see that these parts are new. If not, I would question the service department manager and find out why you were charged for a part that looks like it was not replaced. If the serpentine belt tensioner was indeed replaced/repaired then it should not have malfunctioned after only 328 miles. While it's possible, it's highly unlikely a new part would malfunction after only 328 miles unless it had a manufacturing defect--I think this is pretty obvious! If the dealership failed to make the repairs they claimed to make then it should pay for all towing charges to get the car back to the dealership to make the repairs they charged you for.

If you have evidence clearly showing the dealership is trying to scam you then the matter becomes a GM matter and not just a dealership matter.

Members online

No members online now.
Back