Electrical problems 86 sedan deville

Indian Car 86Sedandeville

New LVC Member
Reaction score
I bought my 86 Cadillac Sedan deVille at a used car lot in Billings Montana. The signal flasher did not work. I replaced the flasher element/breaker thing. Still would not work. But signals will work manually, by working the turn signal lever manually. Night time driving with the head lamps on, manually working the turn signals still works, but effects the instrument panel lights. The intrument panel lights go dim momentarilly/coinsidentally with every click of the turn signal lever. After two years of daily driving, while I was driving down the interstate highway at the speed limit. The engine shut off. I pulled over onto the shoulder. Turned off the ignition switch. Turned the ignition switch back on, it started up again. I got back the road, started to pick up speed and about at 40 mph. The engine shut off again. Pulled over off the road.

I bought my 86 Cadillac Sedan deVille at a used car lot in Billings Montana. The signal flasher did not work. I replaced the flasher element/breaker thing. Still would not work. But signals will work manually, by working the turn signal lever manually. Night time driving with the head lamps on, manually working the turn signals still works, but effects the instrument panel lights. The intrument panel lights go dim momentarilly/coincidentally with every click of the turn signal lever. After two years of daily driving. I was on a road trip to Virginia to visit my son who was coming back from a deployment in Iraq. While I was driving down the interstate highway in Wisconsin at the speed limit. The engine shut off. I pulled over onto the shoulder. Turned off the ignition switch. Turned the ignition switch back on, it started up again. I got back the road, started to pick up speed and about at 40 mph. The engine shut off again. Pulled over off the road. Tried the ignition, the engine started again. Got back on the road, started to pick up speed and again at about 40 mph, the engine killed again. Pulled over, restarted the engine. This time I stayed on the shoulder of the road. And I kept it under 40 mph. Limped to nearest town, about 12 miles. I made it to the Cadillac dealership. They test drove my car. They checked the catalytic converter, it was ok. They did some more tests and found that the modulator in the distributor was going bad. They installed a new modulator and rotor. The repair cost about $400. After spending a few days with my son, I made it back home. The Cadillac ran fine two more years. And this winter. The heater/AC fan started to quit. I attemped to repair it myself with a salvaged piece. The fan started to work again, but not very well. It didn't have a high speed and it to be drawing out of the car instead of in. So I removed the salvaged piece and replaced it with a remanufactered fan from my local parts store. The new fan would not work. I used a continuty test light. There was power coming to fan. I traced the wires to the ECC power module. I tested the power going to the ECC power module. There was good power. So, I replaced the ECC power module with a salvaged piece out an 86 Eldorado. The heater fan worked fine again, but now the fan would not shut off, even with the fan switch in the off position. So now I had to disconnect the fan every time I parked the car. The car ran fine like this for about two weeks. Then the car started to guzzle gas and black smoke would come out of exhaust pipe. Some times the engine would kill while running. It back became harder to start the engine. Now the engine will start at all.

If anyone has experienced an electrical problem like this, or is familar the problem. Please reply.

I bought my 86 Cadillac Sedan deVille at a used car lot in Billings Montana. The signal flasher did not work. I replaced the flasher element/breaker thing. Still would not work. But signals will work manually, by working the turn signal lever manually. Night time driving with the head lamps on, manually working the turn signals still works, but effects the instrument panel lights. The intrument panel lights go dim momentarilly/coincidentally with every click of the turn signal lever. After two years of daily driving. I was on a road trip to Virginia to visit my son who was coming back from a deployment in Iraq. While I was driving down the interstate highway in Wisconsin at the speed limit. The engine shut off. I pulled over onto the shoulder. Turned off the ignition switch. Turned the ignition switch back on, it started up again. I got back the road, started to pick up speed and about at 40 mph. The engine shut off again. Pulled over off the road. Tried the ignition, the engine started again. Got back on the road, started to pick up speed and again at about 40 mph, the engine killed again. Pulled over, restarted the engine. This time I stayed on the shoulder of the road. And I kept it under 40 mph. Limped to nearest town, about 12 miles. I made it to the Cadillac dealership. They test drove my car. They checked the catalytic converter, it was ok. They did some more tests and found that the modulator in the distributor was going bad. They installed a new modulator and rotor. The repair cost about $400. After spending a few days with my son, I made it back home. The Cadillac ran fine two more years. And this winter. The heater/AC fan started to quit. I attemped to repair it myself with a salvaged piece. The fan started to work again, but not very well. It didn't have a high speed and it to be drawing out of the car instead of in. So I removed the salvaged piece and replaced it with a remanufactered fan from my local parts store. The new fan would not work. I used a continuty test light. There was power coming to fan. I traced the wires to the ECC power module. I tested the power going to the ECC power module. There was good power. So, I replaced the ECC power module with a salvaged piece out an 86 Eldorado. The heater fan worked fine again, but now the fan would not shut off, even with the fan switch in the off position. So now I had to disconnect the fan every time I parked the car. The car ran fine like this for about two weeks. Then the car started to guzzle gas and black smoke would come out of exhaust pipe. Some times the engine would kill while running. It back became harder to start the engine. Now the engine will start at all.

If anyone has experienced an electrical problem like this, or is familar the problem. Please reply.

I bought my 86 Cadillac Sedan deVille at a used car lot in Billings Montana. The signal flasher did not work. I replaced the flasher element/breaker thing. Still would not work. But signals will work manually, by working the turn signal lever manually. Night time driving with the head lamps on, manually working the turn signals still works, but effects the instrument panel lights. The intrument panel lights go dim momentarilly/coincidentally with every click of the turn signal lever. After two years of daily driving. I was on a road trip to Virginia to visit my son who was coming back from a deployment in Iraq. While I was driving down the interstate highway in Wisconsin at the speed limit. The engine shut off. I pulled over onto the shoulder. Turned off the ignition switch. Turned the ignition switch back on, it started up again. I got back the road, started to pick up speed and about at 40 mph. The engine shut off again. Pulled over off the road. Tried the ignition, the engine started again. Got back on the road, started to pick up speed and again at about 40 mph, the engine killed again. Pulled over, restarted the engine. This time I stayed on the shoulder of the road. And I kept it under 40 mph. Limped to nearest town, about 12 miles. I made it to the Cadillac dealership. They test drove my car. They checked the catalytic converter, it was ok. They did some more tests and found that the modulator in the distributor was going bad. They installed a new modulator and rotor. The repair cost about $400. After spending a few days with my son, I made it back home. The Cadillac ran fine for two more years. And this winter. The heater/AC fan started to quit. I attemped to repair it myself with a salvaged piece. The fan started to work again, but not very well. It didn't have a high speed and it seemed to be drawing air out of the car instead of in. So I removed the salvaged piece and replaced it with a remanufactered fan from my local parts store. The new fan would not work. I used a continuty test light. There was no power coming to fan. I traced the wires to the ECC power module. I tested the power going to the ECC power module. There was good power. So, I replaced the ECC power module with a salvaged piece out of an 86 Eldorado. The heater fan worked fine again, but now the fan would not shut off, even with the fan switch in the off position and with the ignition turned off. So now I had to disconnect the fan every time I parked the car. The car ran fine like this for about two weeks. Then the car started to guzzle gas and black smoke would come out of exhaust pipe. Some times the engine would kill while running. It became harder to start the engine. Now the engine will not start at all.

Sorry about all the mispelling and grammer on my previous posts on this subject. I think I finally wrote it to where it could be understood more clearly.

I bought my 86 Cadillac Sedan deVille at a used car lot in Billings Montana. The signal flasher did not work. I replaced the flasher element/breaker thing. Still would not work. But signals will work manually, by working the turn signal lever manually. Night time driving with the head lamps on, manually working the turn signals still works, but effects the instrument panel lights. The intrument panel lights go dim momentarilly/coincidentally with every click of the turn signal lever. After two years of daily driving. I was on a road trip to Virginia to visit my son who was coming back from a deployment in Iraq. While I was driving down the interstate highway at the speed limit in Wisconsin . The engine shut off. I pulled over onto the shoulder. Turned off the ignition switch. Turned the ignition switch back on, it started up again. I got back the road, started to pick up speed and about at 40 mph. The engine shut off again. Pulled over off the road. Tried the ignition, the engine started again. Got back on the road, started to pick up speed and again at about 40 mph, the engine killed. Pulled over, restarted the engine. This time I stayed on the shoulder of the road. And I kept it under 40 mph. Limped to nearest town, about 12 miles. I made it to a Cadillac dealership. They test drove my car. They checked the catalytic converter, it was ok. They did some more tests and found that the modulator in the distributor was going bad. They installed a new modulator, distributor rotor and a fuel filter. The repair cost about $400. I got back on the road and made to Virginian, after spending a few days with my son, I made it back home to Montana. The Cadillac ran fine for two more years. And this winter. The heater/AC fan started to quit. I attemped to repair the problem myself with a salvaged piece. The fan started to work again, but not very well. It didn't have a high speed and it seemed to be drawing air out of the car instead of in. So I removed the salvaged piece and replaced it with a remanufactered fan from my local parts store. The new fan would not work. I used a continuty test light. There was no power coming to fan. I traced the wires from the fan to the ECC power module. I tested the power going to the ECC power module. There was good power. So, I replaced the ECC power module with a salvaged piece out of an 86 Eldorado. The heater fan worked fine again, but now the fan would not shut off, even with the fan switch in the off position and with the ignition switch turned off. So now I have to open the hood of the car and disconnect the fan every time I park the car. The car ran fine like this for about two weeks. Then the car started to guzzle gas and black smoke would come out of exhaust pipe. Some times the engine would kill while running. It became harder to start the engine. Now the engine will not start at all.

If anyone has experienced an electrical problem like this, or is familar with the problem. Please reply.

Members online

Back