Electric Fan & Cooling System Diagram for 1st gen

02LincLS

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Aside from the electric fan on gen2, is the cooling system the same on all V8's? Does anyone have a diagram?
and speaking of fans, for anyone that has done the switch to electric on a gen 1, what did you use for a fan? I found a Hayden 3690 that supposedly fits 00-06 LS's. Says it requires 2 so there is a push fan on one side of the radiator, and a pull fan on the other. Just wanted some of your opinions.

Might require two because they mount side-by-side; I can't say I've seen many set-ups using a pusher AND puller

Fan info

Aside from the electric fan on gen2, is the cooling system the same on all V8's? Does anyone have a diagram?
and speaking of fans, for anyone that has done the switch to electric on a gen 1, what did you use for a fan? I found a Hayden 3690 that supposedly fits 00-06 LS's. Says it requires 2 so there is a push fan on one side of the radiator, and a pull fan on the other. Just wanted some of your opinions.

I had the same questions after I read about the over complicated fans that come on LS's

After reading this post

http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/showthread.php?t=36550

LS_Monk

replied to a PM I sent him -

Yeah it worked awesome. Never had a CEL code yet and have been driving it daily since. Just make sure the a/c wire is hooked up otherwise it will overheat the a/c compressor. If you are stopped with the /c on a hot day.

s.

I had to 'dive' into this when I did the SC project, it is complicated...

1 — Coolant control valve
2 8260 Upper radiator hose
3 8A520 Coolant outlet tube
4 18472 Heater inlet hoses (2 req)
5 18472 Heater outlet hose
6 18476 Heater core
7 6049 Cylinder head RH
8 — Cylinder head gasket (2 req)
9 6050 Cylinder head LH
10 — Throttle body adapter
11 — Engine vent hose
12 — Degas bottle
13 — Relief valve
14 6015 Cylinder block
15 8A587 Thermostat housing
16 8501 Water pump
17 6A642 Oil cooler
18 — Oil cooler inlet hose
19 8286 Lower radiator hose
20 — Oil cooler outlet hose
21 — Auxiliary coolant pump
22 8005 Radiator

coolant flow.jpg

Does anyone know what the piece in front of the the thermostat housing is called. It where the lower rad hose connects into. It is the piece with the three bolts! That piece corroded on mine and was wondering if I can just buy that piece or do I have to but the whole thermostat housing...thanks guys....

......WOW it just hit me how serious replacing the piping will be. Has anyone done this yet? Also, did you do it yourself or at a shop? How much did the shop charge you?

......WOW it just hit me how serious replacing the piping will be. Has anyone done this yet? Also, did you do it yourself or at a shop? How much did the shop charge you?

A lot of us have replaced it. This is a common issue with these cars. Be prepared to spend about a grand to do it right. Less since you already did the degas. Oh and the radiator might have still been good.

Im not sure on which parts I need and dont need on this list. I started a thread to get some insite. I plan on listing the parts and website I get them from on the post so future users can see it. I've been having a hard time finding the heater hoses.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GATES-28515...iter_Display:3.9L&hash=item53ef8ae27e&vxp=mtr

I found this post on eBay but dont know if I should add it to my list or not because it does not say inlet or outlet. I plan on giving them a call tomorrow

Guys sorry for hijacking the thread, but i want to ask something. The DCCV . If its not engaged i.e the heater is not switched , does it circulate the water like i marked in the red on the picture below , or is it completely blocked and not flowing at all until the heater is engaged. The reason i am asking is because i plan to switch the car to LPG fuel in the near future. To do this i need to connect the evaporator somewhere and i want to know, if the coolant is flowing through that line ,when the heater is not working.

1680381220441.png

Engaged is valves closed. The valves default to open when there is no power. When they are fully powered, they are fully closed. There's no alternate valve that opens when the two valves are closed. There are only the two valves (one for each heater core half).

Ahhh thats sad i was afraid the coolant gets blocked , when the heater is not engaged. Well i guess i have to connect the reducer in parallel instead of serial. Thanks a lot for the help.

edit:
Actually after reading this : JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource
I am not convinced the flow is closed on gen1 . If you take a look at the picture of the valve it seems the plunger is closing the bottom port , when it opens the ports towards the heater and is opening the bottom port , when it closes them. Basically when the heater is not working the coolan should be circulating between the input and output port of the valve.
Gen2 is another story it has only 3 ports , so the coolant is blocked for sure, when heater is off.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.
Back