EGR Delete

3.9-LS

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I just got a new SCT X3. I haven't used it yet. I'm gonna put my LS on a dyno and let them tune it. For the EGR delete, can I just remove the valve, cap the tube, and plate the intake hole?

yeah why bother, is there a specific reason? this isn't a powerstroke after all.

Well if it will give me a lil more performance and the SCT will keep the CEL off, I'll do it.

Curious as to how removing a correctly working EGR system is going to increase performance?

I have never heard of an EGR delete on gas motors let alone somebody doing it for a performance gain...

the reason its a big deal on diesels, is because when you start trying to make more power, and start throwing more fuel into the motor, diesels make a LOT more soot that a gas engine will. and if the EGR cooler starts to fail, it will cause even more carbon build up. then all this will start to gum up the turbo's. this is a huge issue with 6.0 strokers because of the VGT they used, it gums up the moving vanes inside the snail then the turbo can't build boost right and has no power...

I dont see this anywhere near being a problem with a gas burning LS motor

EGR delete isn't really about getting better performance, its about making your diesel engine bullet proof and lasting a lot longer. with today's more modern engine control systems (fancy computers) EGR deletes are becoming less popular and better quality EGR coolers that don't fail are on the rise as that you don't need to have it tuned to keep the CEL off.

Well I certainly appreciate the advice. It's not something that I have to do. It would make removing the intake one step easier though. :)

I have never heard of an EGR delete on gas motors let alone somebody doing it for a performance gain...

Not on cars built in the last twenty years or so, anyway. The old 5.0L did not have a great emissions system, even having a "smog pump" that pushed air into the exhaust. They were all prone to failure and causing issues, so it helped to just be rid of it. None of that really carries over to the LS, though.

Well I certainly appreciate the advice. It's not something that I have to do. It would make removing the intake one step easier though. :)

If you remove it, you may get reduced part-throttle performance due to reduced timing advance to deal with the probably increased detonation because of increased combustion chamber temperatures due to the loss of the inert exhaust gasses. (How's that for a run-on sentence?)

That's why I wanted to do it at the same time as letting my tuner tune it. I only run 93 octane E10.

egr delete will most likely mess your trans up. you wont have manifold absolute pressure sensors anymore which will screw you too

^^ Uh, what? None of that makes any sense.

That removing the EGR valve assembly will remove the MAP sensor is true, for the Gen II LS, however, I don't think it's true for the Gen I, which 3.9-LS has.
However, even on the gen II, I can't understand what that would possibly have to do with the transmission or "cause too much pressure to push through your lines."

Members online

Back