EGR crossover pipe

bluejay

LVC Member
Reaction score
I have a 1998 Olds Aurora with the 4.0 litre Olds type Northstar. I come here because I also have a Lincoln and this forum is pretty popular. Many of my cars parts are interchangeable with the Cadillac.

I believe the full name of what I am working on is the EGR water pump crossover pipe. I sprayed plenty of penetrating oil on it, waited some days, sprayed again, then tried to loosen it up.

I was real happy for a while as it began to move. Then voila, broke bolt off flush with the water pump casting. It fooled me, it never moved at all, just the bolt yielding.

My first impression is that thing will not be coming out. Easy out or whatever might just make the whole thing worse. Is there any chance I could pot that pipe back on with red heat proof silicone? Any other options? Too bad manufacturers don't use never seize.

Could the throttle body accept some fresh air instead of exhaust fumes? Can I plug the throttle body off instead?

More background info: I am changing the water pump. The last time I did it I didn't have the removal socket and reinstalled it with red silicone gasket seal. This time I have bought the socket and replacement gaskets etc. Any tips on how to not make more boo boos? I am looking at trying things out tomorrow.

Members online

Back